Ditch & Don

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

douglasville diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My Buddy And I Are Going To The Pool Next Week With Our Plan Being Ditch & Dons Practice. I've Talked About Us Swapping Gear @ Depth And We Plan On Practicing The Way I Read Here On Sb Where You Disconnect Your Upper Chest Buckle , Release The Cumberbun Leaving The Waist Buckle Fastened And Twisting Your Gear Around Your Waist.
Just Looking For Anyone Who's Done It This Way,or Any Other Thoughts Or Suggestions On Practicing This Skill.

Thaks Dave

douglasville diver:
... Release The Cumberbun Leaving The Waist Buckle Fastened And Twisting Your Gear Around Your Waist.... Thaks Dave

That's not the way I was shown...
If possible, have someone show you.. You should have learned this in your OW class...

Here is the sequence of events (assume jacket BCD).. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS TRAINING, INFO ONLY!

Undo:

Chest strap
waist strap
cumberbund
Pull left arm out
swing unit around your right side (notice your second stage hose is on that side) in front of you..

Don:
Put right arm through BCD (you can grab the bottow of the tank to help it around)
Swing around your back
insert left arm through
check for SPG / console / secondary
tighten cumberbund
waist strap
chest strap

verify SPG, console, etc. are not trapped in any straps, ect..

If you were not shown this, please have a DM / Instructor demonstrate and watch as you do this.

Thanks Countryboy .
Your Right ,that Is The Way I Was Trained . And We'll Be Practicing That Skill. We Will Also Be Practicing Intanglement So Why Not Leave Your Gear And Weights Atached To Your Person . What I Discribed Is Not My Own But Rather What I Read Here Just Trying To Expand My Limits

douglasville diver:
... We Will Also Be Practicing Intanglement ...

This might be a translation issue.. but I have not heard of people "practicing intanglement"?

This sounds like a bad idea.

How I did it is not important; how you do it is!!

Assemble both sets of gear, arrange it on deck, look at it (esp buddy's), think about it, run through how to do it in your mind, talk about it with buddy, think some more, dry run it, think about it, talk about it with buddy, dry run it again, think about it, talk about it with buddy, decide if you are ready to do it in the water, etc., etc.

Remember 6 P's (military term) [Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance]

Paying attention to detail on this skill makes it simple!!! Failure to do so will make it difficult.

Biggest hint of all: REMEMBER THIS IS NOT A TIMED EVENT!!!

Thanks For The Tip.
I Practice The Things Only Talked About And Just Looking For Imput

douglasville diver:
Thanks Countryboy .
Your Right ,that Is The Way I Was Trained . And We'll Be Practicing That Skill. We Will Also Be Practicing Intanglement So Why Not Leave Your Gear And Weights Atached To Your Person . What I Discribed Is Not My Own But Rather What I Read Here Just Trying To Expand My Limits
The deal is take EVERYTHING you read on a forum with a grain of salt. Many people are great writers and can convince you of almost anything. I suggest working with an instructor that you respect.

You Sure Do Use A Heck Of A Lot Of Capital Letters When You Type???????????????

Walter:
Why use the chest strap at all? It serves no useful purpose.

That depends entirely on your body shape. Me? I have large, sloping shoulders and straps NEVER want to stay put. The more you tighten, the more pressure there is to slide down and off. The chest strap holds them in place very well, and DO serve a useful purpose.

FD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom