solo diving training vs tech training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah...I fully expect some boredom....but the inexperienced divers in the class will be my 3 kids and wife so I'll be ok with that. I figured it more of an opportunity to observe their class, from in the pool and in the springs...and while I'm twiddling my thumbs I'll most likely be over out of the way somewhere adjusting my trim, working on buoyancy control, dialing in my gear set-up, etc... and then get a refresher sign off + a couple dives to satisfy dive charter operators.

as I said I fully expect that would be the case....and I wasn't saying that I would do it or even could do it. Just an observation. And yes I know...20 years. That's why I'm spending time chair diving while I'm waiting for the timing and starts to align for me to get a refresher in. It helps get my head back into it. Thanks.
When I taught the solo class it was definitely not a refresher of OW skills. To start the Solo class I expected the student to have excellent basic skills so that they were instinctual and did not need to be thought about when doing them. This requirement would exclude some DM's and newer Instructors I have seen.
It was also understood that buoyancy, trim, and finning techniques were above average to start the class or it didn't happen.
I also required my solo students to have a rescue cert.
We did at least 1 pool session and 4 OW dives.
There were gear requirements beyond standards and some skills were done with a blacked out mask and others with no mask.

One other note is that there were times that I taught the child, spouse, or friend of an already certified diver. I expected them to attend and participate in the last pool session and on OW dives.
More than once, after that pool session, the certified diver would book a private session after seeing that their skills and knowledge were not on par with what their future dive buddy had just learned.
If you get the right instructor for your wife and kids, you may find that they are significantly ahead of you in some areas.

Places are going to do/require what the want because it is their choice.

Reminds me of the story of a diver (tech instructor/instructor trainer) being denied a Nitrox fill because he didn't have a card. Had a tri-mix cert.... Go figure...
I was refused Nitrox because I only had my 100% oxygen card. Go figure that one.

Back
Top Bottom