solo diving training vs tech training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on op. When I did my AN/DP I checked with my local charters as I was thinking of doing solo. Local to me they all said don't bother they would accept the tech cards instead of having to have a solo card.

thanks, lots of irony pointed out here for sure.... downright funny really.
I do remember seeing that thread about instructors but didn't read all of it. Get the gist though I think...
Solo and technical diving is similar and related, like overlapping circles in a Venn diagram.

Technical diving requires that you can resolve issues underwater and be self reliant, although it can emphasise team working. There’s no limits up to your training level, e.g. you must be able to safely complete a dive on your own including all decompression and exit procedures.

Solo diving, certainly as taught in the SDI and PADI syllabus, is restricted to recreational diving limits only and teaches you how to execute a completely solo dive. Most skills learned are familiar to a technical diver such as switching to alternative gas supplies and resolving problems.

A technical diver will — or should — find completing a solo diver course pretty easy and a lot of fun demonstrating their existing skills. There’s very few new skills for a technical diver to learn, pretty much only learning the content of a solo diver information sheet and letting others know when you’re in and out.

A recreational diver may find completing a solo diver course quite challenging especially if they’re not familiar with alternative gas supplies. This is why you need a minimum of 100 dives and have the right attitude to diving. If you’re used to delegating planning and decisions to a DiveMaster, then you shouldn’t bother with solo diver.
that pretty much nails the answer I suppose....3rd paragraph especially is what I was looking for!

Almost seems like a reciprocity rule could be a logical next step here. I realize someone like me would still need some refresher dives/practice before ever doing anything deep, technical, or solo.... but an active or freshly trained tech diver...or an instructor...well on that one I can see the huge irony there, but an OW instructor alone wouldn't necessarily be familiar or equipped...but an instructor that actively teaches it...yeah, that's just dumb.

and yikes! the price on that book!

And I just gave my solo book away recently for just the cost of postage. Think it was $35 originally.

I stumbled across a youtube, some Australian guy walked through his SDI Solo Diver training class. Watched/listened to it this morning while out for a walk.

To my original question here it did not seem that I would really learn anything at all that I haven't already been through, except perhaps some wrote policy/procedure/training standards kind of stuff.

It dawned on me that this would probably be a much better refresher class for someone like me than taking a normal "Refresher Class"
I'm a 20+ years rusty diver... SSI Divecon, full trimix certified diver​

No doubt the intent would be for a diver going into solo class to be current and very proficient.
But it struck me that it would most likely be a much better use of my time... would really push me to get in control and to get re-dialed into my equipment set-up. It would refresh some more 'advanced' concepts of dive planning, etc...

That said, as soon as I can get schedules and stars to align, I plan/hope to get my kids and wife into an open water cert class
and I still want to ride along in the same class as a "scuba Refresher" student....mainly so that I can share the experience with my kids and learn what they are taught. I want to support their training after the dive and not conflict against their training with too much of my old school ways....:)
mostly I guess it's a hope for shared learning experience

Hope you get either a solo Solo Diver class -- being beasted by your instructor; such incredible fun -- or a classmate with a similar background.

What you really don't want is an inexperienced recreational diver who'll be sucking the instructor's knowledge. A technical diver friend had that and was basically bored waiting for that person to complete their skills.

The planning's pretty straightforward as Solo Diver is NDLs, so doesn't allow decompression nor fancy voodoo gasses.

I stumbled across a youtube, some Australian guy walked through his SDI Solo Diver training class. Watched/listened to it this morning while out for a walk.

To my original question here it did not seem that I would really learn anything at all that I haven't already been through, except perhaps some wrote policy/procedure/training standards kind of stuff.

It dawned on me that this would probably be a much better refresher class for someone like me than taking a normal "Refresher Class"
I'm a 20+ years rusty diver... SSI Divecon, full trimix certified diver​

No doubt the intent would be for a diver going into solo class to be current and very proficient.
But it struck me that it would most likely be a much better use of my time... would really push me to get in control and to get re-dialed into my equipment set-up. It would refresh some more 'advanced' concepts of dive planning, etc...

That said, as soon as I can get schedules and stars to align, I plan/hope to get my kids and wife into an open water cert class
and I still want to ride along in the same class as a "scuba Refresher" student....mainly so that I can share the experience with my kids and learn what they are taught. I want to support their training after the dive and not conflict against their training with too much of my old school ways....:)
mostly I guess it's a hope for shared learning experience
Frankly, I would talk with the instructor before attempting to use a solo class as a “refresher” after being out of diving for 20 years. They could very well want you to get some recent dives under your belt before taking solo. You keep harping on what you used to do. That was 20 years ago.

Hope you get either a solo Solo Diver class -- being beasted by your instructor; such incredible fun -- or a classmate with a similar background.

What you really don't want is an inexperienced recreational diver who'll be sucking the instructor's knowledge. A technical diver friend had that and was basically bored waiting for that person to complete their skills.

The planning's pretty straightforward as Solo Diver is NDLs, so doesn't allow decompression nor fancy voodoo gasses.
yeah...I fully expect some boredom....but the inexperienced divers in the class will be my 3 kids and wife so I'll be ok with that. I figured it more of an opportunity to observe their class, from in the pool and in the springs...and while I'm twiddling my thumbs I'll most likely be over out of the way somewhere adjusting my trim, working on buoyancy control, dialing in my gear set-up, etc... and then get a refresher sign off + a couple dives to satisfy dive charter operators.
Frankly, I would talk with the instructor before attempting to use a solo class as a “refresher” after being out of diving for 20 years. They could very well want you to get some recent dives under your belt before taking solo. You keep harping on what you used to do. That was 20 years ago.
as I said I fully expect that would be the case....and I wasn't saying that I would do it or even could do it. Just an observation. And yes I know...20 years. That's why I'm spending time chair diving while I'm waiting for the timing and starts to align for me to get a refresher in. It helps get my head back into it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom