"Swim-through" okay for open water divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you talk about cenotes, you are generally talking about caverns or caves. Those are different classes with different rules.

You can do guided cavern dives without certification, but doing either on your own requires specific certification.
Yes absolutely, I’d never attempt on my own. I’d presume the guided dives would be with guides with LOTS of experience for that type of dive and the added precautions necessary, not your average DM.

Yes absolutely, I’d never attempt on my own. I’d presume the guided dives would be with guides with LOTS of experience for that type of dive and the added precautions necessary, not your average DM.
@Saboteur,

OP here. My introduction to diving overhead environments (other than the "traditional" approach to ice diving) was through a two-day Cavern Diving course. I would recommend the course I took (1988, NACD/NSS-CDS, at Ginnie Springs FL), or similar, to anyone thinking about diving even "only" a swim-through.

I think that such a course will leave a diver with enough knowledge to make an informed decision about whether he/she should go through a particular swim through, or go on a guided cenote dive, etc.

FWIW,

rx7diver

i have been placed in the same situation. On a dive last Dec. in Mexico , a diver was worried, he was a new OW, because he had no dive computer. I told the DM that I would pair up with him, that I would keep my eye on him. First dive things went along fairly well, I kept my eye on him to make him comfortable, at least I thought. Between dives he's telling me I get to far away from him, at times I was out of reach.. I tried to tell him that we were never deep enough for me to worry and that maybe he should be thinking HE needs to stay near ME. I thought he was going to panic... So second dive was spend staying a couple of feet away from him, never really enjoying myself... Me and my big mouth...

i have been placed in the same situation. On a dive last Dec. in Mexico , a diver was worried, he was a new OW, because he had no dive computer. I told the DM that I would pair up with him, that I would keep my eye on him. First dive things went along fairly well, I kept my eye on him to make him comfortable, at least I thought. Between dives he's telling me I get to far away from him, at times I was out of reach.. I tried to tell him that we were never deep enough for me to worry and that maybe he should be thinking HE needs to stay near ME. I thought he was going to panic... So second dive was spend staying a couple of feet away from him, never really enjoying myself... Me and my big mouth...

He had no dive computer? Did he have a depth gauge and timing device of some type?

I have been on dive boats that won't even allow you to dive unless you have a computer and you affirm that you know how to use it.

What was the depth of the dives you were doing?

This thread shows how little many read or remember of OW instruction or course material. A cavern or swim through is when the horizontal and vertical distance needed to reach the surface do not exceed the certification depth and the cavern or swim through is naturally lit. If you are certified to 20 m then a 10 m swim through at 10 m depth is the limit, or a 5 m swim through at 15 m depth. Anything longer is a cave.
My view is that initial experience at any swim through or cavern should be done on a 1 : 1 guide / instructor to "student" basis with proper prior briefing. I have witnessed 2 potentially dangerous situations. One inside a wreck, deliberately holed and sunk for diving. It was single file at about 28 m and silt got kicked up, it could easily have been a disaster. We were in a vertical volcanic cavern with approximately 0.5 m diameter holes in the sides. The diver ahead of me looked into a hole with his torch which startled what I would estimate to be a 6 to 10 kg grouper. It shot out of the hole and rammed him in the face knocking his mask completely off. I have seen a primary reg with the hose coupling cracked by striking a swim through ceiling. I know the swim through and its not that tight.
On a wreck we dive we sometimes enter by dropping down the funnel all the way to the engine room. This mean it is easy to see and avoid the obstructions, cris crossing ironwork etc. We never ascend the funnel because of the risk of snagging our backs.
I just tried to renew my annual holiday insurance which used to include diving to 40 m and swim throughs or caverns. It now limits depth to 30 m and stipulates no overhead environments. Next cover is for 50 m but still no overhead environments and cost was unreasonably high. Cheaper to take out the standard holiday cover and DAN short term cover as necessary.

He had no dive computer? Did he have a depth gauge and timing device of some type?

I have been on dive boats that won't even allow you to dive unless you have a computer and you affirm that you know how to use it.

What was the depth of the dives you were doing?
Nope.. he had no computer. Even myself, I had no computer until I went AOW. Where I stated my scuba lessons as OW divers, we were informed that a computer really wasn't necessary until we went AOW, so I have seen this before. Yes, everyone had a depth and pressure gauge, not sure about a timer. We never passed the 60ft depth, and we were all aware of this. I have been on many sallow dives where people have no computer..

Nope.. he had no computer. Even myself, I had no computer until I went AOW. Where I stated my scuba lessons as OW divers, we were informed that a computer really wasn't necessary until we went AOW, so I have seen this before. Yes, everyone had a depth and pressure gauge, not sure about a timer. We never passed the 60ft depth, and we were all aware of this. I have been on many sallow dives where people have no computer..
Surely something was taught about keeping oneself safe from decompression illness? Tables? What if nobody had a computer?

I had two already when in my early OW stage - the Apple Watch Ultra and Shearwater Peregrine. It was handy, because I would often give one to someone who had none. But to be honest, I did not see much value in it, I just did not have a depth gauge in my spg.

Actually when you volunteered to be the buddy to a new diver you took on the responsibility of staying close to him. Had you been properly trained in buddy procedures yourself, you'd know this.
In a buddy team or group dive, the slowest diver sets the pace.
When someone agrees to buddy up with someone having less experience, they take on the role of staying close and adjusting their pace.
If you were unwilling or unable to do this, you shouldn't have volunteered. That you did it the second dive and say you didn't enjoy it, well that shows that you still didn't understand the role.
I once spent 45 minutes with an underwater macro photographer. We stayed in an area smaller than my living room. I agreed to be his buddy. So that's what I did and had a great dive. I worked on my skills while staying within 6 feet of him but never getting in his way. I saw more diversity of life on that dive than most of the ones I've done.
I came away a better diver because I accepted the role and chose to make the best of it.
You chose to not to enjoy it. Period.
Proper buddy procedures require staying within reach with a new diver. That you don't know this tells me the kind of training you had. At least in this area. Lousy.

@rgkv I would be a bit wary to offer to be a “chaperone” for a newer diver unless you are quite confident you are yourself very squared and able to help him in case of issues and to keep him calm/monitor him.

Some newer divers will need to have someone assist them actively during their first dives (like pacing yourself so they can follow, waiting for them to sort out their buoyancy, reassure them with ok signals, etc), and unless you can provide that because you are fairly experienced, I’d not offer that to a diver I have not dived with or seen diving before.

(All my personal opinion and feel free to correct me if wrong)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom