DIR-style necklaced backup - Ideal bungee diameter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King Kong Matt

Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully the title was indicative. Bottom line, I was in REI the other day and found a great deal on 1/8 in. black shockcord (bungee).

In practice, is 1/8 in going to be thick/thin enough? It definitely seemed thin enough and strong enough, but I would like to hear from some of you out there.

Thx,
Matt

Scubaroo once bubbled...
1/8" is perfect.

I found 1/8 inch at our local sporting goods store here in Fairbanks. Something like $.25 a foot. They had some braided nylon cord (like climbing rope) in varying diameters too... might pick some of that up too. Something like .12 cents a foot for 3mm. Thought I could find a use for it somehow.

Anyways.. bottom line.. bungee rules... Bought 25 feet of 1/8th inch proactively, will probally go back and get some 1/4" bungee.

Anyhoo.. call around, I had a hard time finding some, until I tried the unlikely solution.

Brandon.

fairbanksdiver once bubbled...
Anyhoo.. call around, I had a hard time finding some, until I tried the unlikely solution.

Yep...REI has a climbing section where you can pretty much get all types of ropes and cords (and bungee) by the foot. In the store, 1/8" cost .20 a foot...not sure what it is online.

If you ask nicely, they often have pieces that were cut by accident or returned that they'll sell you for almost nothing. Not that .25 /ft is expensive, but why pay it if you don't have to?

I think I got my 4 ft piece for about .20 or so.

I found the 1/8th inch cord at a LDS that was already cut and tied for... ready for this... $22 US. I told them they had to be on drugs and went to the boat store down the street and got it for about $.25 a foot and made my own.

The 1/8 inch works great BTW.

Scott

REI stores carry bungee, though I couldn't find it "on the rack" where their other bungee and climbing ropes are sold.

However, their repair department had it, so go ask there. The stuff seems to be color/pattern coded for size, and the 1/8" that I'm using is off-white with brown or black spots.

Roak

roakey once bubbled...
REI stores carry bungee, though I couldn't find it "on the rack" where their other bungee and climbing ropes are sold.

However, their repair department had it, so go ask there. The stuff seems to be color/pattern coded for size, and the 1/8" that I'm using is off-white with brown or black spots.

Good to know. I was there a couple months back and they didn't have any [or as far as they knew they couldn't find any].

I've got to get back there soon anyway before my dividend expires...

Good evening.
When I inquired about where I could find 1/8" bungee in my DIR/F class, I was referred to a place called "Bungee by the Foot".
Add the .com and you have their website. Ordered 10' of it at, I believe(???) $0.35 ft. Shipping was high $7 and change but I didn't have too many other options at the time. If you are looking for another place, this might be another option?

Best Regards
Don Costanza

dcostanza once bubbled...
...I was referred to a place called "Bungee by the Foot".
Add the .com and you have their website.
No joy.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom