Overview and Comparison between the Deep6 Excursion and Genesis Centauri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One feature I would like to see is the ability to view the current time while submerged. For both units, once submerged, the current time is no longer able to be viewed. I found this to be an annoyance when the dive boat’s divemaster has given a return time of a specific time.

I think the current Excursion (or Centauri) firmware shows the time below the ascent / descent rate and above the temperature field. It's not labeled as anything, and I think it defaults to showing in 24 hour mode... It is one of the first fields to disappear when other info is being displayed though (it won't show up during a safety stop / deco as both of those spots of the screen are taken up by the stop depth)

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 2.54.10 PM.png

I think the current Excursion (or Centauri) firmware shows the time below the ascent / descent rate and above the temperature field. It's not labeled as anything, and I think it defaults to showing in 24 hour mode... It is one of the first fields to disappear when other info is being displayed though (it won't show up during a safety stop / deco as both of those spots of the screen are taken up by the stop depth)

View attachment 698936
The Crest manual shows that, however, other units would show it as PO2, as I recall. Or maybe it was MOD. The video on Youtube of the Crest unit shows MOD. Don't know if they added that specific to the Crest in the latest firmware (1-5C) that the manual states it is for. Or it was supposed to be there but got replaced by MOD and the manual never reflected the change.

The Crest manual shows that, however, other units would show it as PO2, as I recall. Or maybe it was MOD. The video on Youtube of the Crest unit shows MOD. Don't know if they added that specific to the Crest in the latest firmware (1-5C) that the manual states it is for. Or it was supposed to be there but got replaced by MOD and the manual never reflected the change.
They only show MOD on the predive screen, and on the dive screen it only shows the Po2 when you are close to exceeding it and it flashes as a warning. Otherwise it shows the time there

I know it's in the Deep Six one because I've seen it on my dives before.

It's a bit of a moot point because on the upcoming firmware in the videos I'm pretty sure the current gas mix will be displayed there and the time of day will be on an additional information page

Great review. I've had a Crest CR4 for a month or two and worked with the developers of Macdive and Dive Log to allow support, which is now available. I've sent logs to the developer of Diving Log 6.0 as well so support should also be around the corner, and with it hopefully Subsurface support shortly.

For the price of the Crest in SE Asia (less than USD200) it's hard to fault. I found the backlit screen really easy to read during a dive, certainly compared to my buddy's Suunto Zoop. The Crest does display time of day during a dive.

It would be really interesting if Deep6 considered making their new software available as a paid upgrade for the Crest and Genesis. The hardware is almost certainly identical so it should be possible...

It would be really interesting if Deep6 considered making their new software available as a paid upgrade for the Genesis.

That definitely won’t be happening.

So there is a new firmware out for the Genesis Centauri, version GE1-6A, available through the Dive Story app. I haven't seen a change log, despite some initial internet searches. But what I did notice is that the Genesis now has the ability to clear the log file from the settings menu under a new item, "LOG CLR" It does what one would expect, clearing the log to include the initial factory test dive to 400 some-odd feet.

Also, from the time display screen, when pressing the down arrow to scroll through history, a new screen is present showing battery percentage status and amount of free memory.

Going through the NDLs in plan mode everything appears the same.

@Thunder Struck

16” “drysuit” NATO band

Great review.

Only question I have now is the lug measurement? Looking at NATO straps they usually come in 20mm, 22 or 24. Plus I can't seem to find any in 16" length. Probably because most watches are fashion statements not really used for diving.

So a link or manufacturer of a 16" stap would be great to have.

Anyway fantastic review.... most useful.

Back
Top Bottom