Overview and Comparison between the Deep6 Excursion and Genesis Centauri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not infrequently, a diver asks me why their computer does not seem to be working normally. The most common answer is that they are in violation gauge mode after missing a deco stop. In general, lock out may be a good thing, these divers may even learn something, like how their dive computer works.
jesus.... :fear:

And yet we are told we are wrong when we complain about the very short duration of a certification class this day and age....

I am not convinced that it has anything to do with training.
I believe "ndl" is still being taught right from the beginning and its importance is so OBVIOUS.
It is the individual issue. Hard to avoid.

Scuba diving is a recreational sport and absolutely pointless to pay with your life/health or others.

This is an overview and comparison of two dive computers, the Deep6 Excursion and the Genesis Centauri. These two dive computers share the same hardware, based on the Crest CR-4. All three of these units essentially function the same, however, it is the software within that primarily separates them. This comparison is based on the 1-5C firmware version. The Excursion refers to this version as the D01-5C and the Centauri as GE1-5C.

Both the Excursion and the Centauri used in this comparison were purchased by me. The Centauri from my local dive shop and the Excursion through Deep6’s web page.
Interesting comparison, thank you for taking the time to compare and sharing your findings

Crest CR4 is top of my list if one of my ancient computer packs up. It is dirt cheap locally.

Crest no longer lists the CR4 on their web site (Become one with the Ocean.), only the newer CR-5, which is twice the price. Perhaps they are only selling it through Deep6/Genesis? The only trace of the CR-4 on Crest's site is the manual in the support section (CREST Computers User Manual - CREST DIVING Official Website).

As an update, I received a notice from @TnT , the developer of libdivecomputer. At this time the Centauri is not officially supported by libdivecomputer, however, it will likely work as the Centauri is based on the same underlying platform.

In an effort to add official support for the Centauri, I have sent him requested log files. Hopefully we'll see it listed as officially supported in the future.

Thank you TnT!

Back
Top Bottom