Overview and Comparison between the Deep6 Excursion and Genesis Centauri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunder Struck

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Sippin' cholla juice under the shade of a mesquite
This is an overview and comparison of two dive computers, the Deep6 Excursion and the Genesis Centauri. These two dive computers share the same hardware, based on the Crest CR-4. All three of these units essentially function the same, however, it is the software within that primarily separates them. This comparison is based on the 1-5C firmware version. The Excursion refers to this version as the D01-5C and the Centauri as GE1-5C.

Both the Excursion and the Centauri used in this comparison were purchased by me. The Centauri from my local dive shop and the Excursion through Deep6’s web page.

The Hardware:

Externally the two units appear very similar. They both have their respective companies’ names at the 6 o’clock position on the face as well as appearing on the display when the time is shown. The Excursion features a round bezel and the Centauri has a hexagonal bezel. Where the Centauri uses symbols to indicate the function of the buttons, the Excursion places words next to them. It’s a push either way, however, as after initial familiarization with the operation of the unit, the function of the buttons becomes second nature.

IMG_2481.jpg

The Centauri ships with a two-piece rubber watch band, the same as that from the Crest unit but with Genesis branding on the keepers. It does not ship with an extension piece. End-to-end the band is approximately 10 1/8” (25.7 cm). From the base of the buckle to the last hole it’s approximately 9” (22.9 cm). The band is approximately 4.3mm and stiff. The band works well enough for diving without a wetsuit, however, anything past a 3mm wetsuit and the wearer will likely start looking for a longer band.

While I found that I could wear the Centauri over 5mm of neoprene, the band was left on the second to last hole. Any further and it was uncomfortably tight. With a 7mm suit (without gloves) I could just get it to the last hole. For a suit with gloves there’d be no chance of getting the band to work without an extension. Another problem was that it was difficult to affix the band over the 5mm or 7mm of neoprene as there wasn’t much left of the strap’s tail to feed through the buckle and grab ahold of. Given that the rubber strap grips against the wetsuit and keeps the unit firmly positioned, repositioning after tightening—even the slightest--isn’t an option. For a point of reference the circumference of my wrist is about 6 5/8” (16.8 cm). Certainly not Popeye’s forearms, but those with thicker wrists will find themselves quickly running out of real estate on the strap as they add a few millimeters of neoprene.

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

Alternatively, the Excursion ships with a nylon NATO watch band. From tip-to-tip the band is approximately 12 3/4” (32.4 cm) long. From the base of the buckle to the last hole it’s approximately 11 1/8” (28.3 cm). The Excursion’s band is also stout. It’s 1.5mm thick and features a 5-ring design, allowing for easily stowing any excess strap material. With the extra length of the Excursion’s stock band, I was able to easily fasten it around a 7mm wetsuit with a 5mm glove using the 4th hole from the end. The remaining 3 holes provide an additional 7/8” (22 mm) of length.

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg

Fortunately, both units are equipped with easily removed but strong pins. As such, the short band of the Centauri can be easily replaced with a longer NATO type band. The pins are of a threaded rod type, with a diameter of 1.85 mm, and run completely through the ears of the case. Being threaded they do not rely on spring tension of a typical watch band pin to remain attached to the watch case. Even if bent, or forcibly pulled on, they’ll remain attached to the case. A pair of 1.5mm hex head wrenches is all that is needed to remove and replace the pins.

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

NATO bands are available in a multitude of color combinations and can be replaced in seconds. Another advantage of the NATO band is that should a watch case loose a pin, the unit will stay attached to the wearer via the remaining pin instead of the whole unit falling free.

As the band on the Centauri was essentially useless for my needed exposure protection, I promptly replaced the band with an elastic style NATO band. The elastic feature of the band allows for compensating for the compression of the wetsuit at depth.

The following photo shows the differences in the two stock bands:

IMG_2476.jpg

This photo shows the Excursion with its stock NATO band. In the middle is the Centauri with the aftermarket elastic NATO band and the stock rubber black band next to it. For grins, my old Suunto Spyder with a 16” “drysuit” NATO band is on the far right.

IMG_2457.jpg

For power, the units feature a rechargeable battery. Charging is done by affixing a USB powered clip to the side of the unit. The clip engages with the four pins on the bottom of the unit that provide the charging current to the internal battery. Charging takes approximately 1-3 hours. The product specifications on Deep6’s web page report reaching an 85% state of charge within an hour. In my own test I found this to hold true for both units.

IMG_2433.JPG

IMG_2454.jpg

When diving, the units will activate a backlight. The backlight has five levels of brightness. However, the backlight on the Excursion was noticeably brighter than the backlight on the Centauri when set at the default value of 3. In fact, the Centauri didn’t approach the brightness of the Excursion until the Centauri was set at 5, the maximum level of brightness available. As I’ve been working may way through middle age, I’ve noticed that a nice bright display is helpful, and the Excursion does not disappoint.

Here is an attempt to capture the differences in brightness between the Excursion (left) and Centauri (right). Both units are set at level 3 of brightness.

IMG_2445.jpg

Here the two units are both set to maximum brightness. Also included is the venerable Spyder with its electroluminescent display which pales in comparison to either the Excursion or Centauri (at even their lowest brightness levels).

IMG_2452.jpg

Attachments

• CF compare.jpg
    CF compare.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2447.jpg
    IMG_2447.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 184
Functions and Use:

The Excursion and Centauri both function and display the same information during a dive. This consists of the current depth, the remaining no decompression limit (NDL), ascent/descent rate, PPO2 level, duration of dive and water temperature. By default the units will enter scuba mode once they sense contact with water and pressure from depth. No input from the user is required to start a dive other than ensuring the unit is turned on during the pre-dive check.

During ascent the units will automatically enter a safety stop countdown mode upon reaching a depth of less than 20 feet. Upon conclusion of the stop the unit will beep and vibrate with the display showing the stop has completed. If the user does not to conduct a safety stop, the unit will beep and vibrate in protest, encouraging the user to make the safety stop and telling them to descend.

If the NDLs are exceeded, the unit will begin counting up the amount of time the user has gone past the NDL and enter decompression mode. In decompression mode the unit will show the ceiling to ascend to. Upon ascent the user will be present with the required time to stop at that depth before ascending again.

The data displayed during a dive can be displayed in one of two different formats, either six (default) or three fields. Alarms can be set for maximum depth or elapsed dive time. Depth and temperature data is logged in user selectable 10, 20, 30, or 60 second intervals for later recall.

One feature I would like to see is the ability to view the current time while submerged. For both units, once submerged, the current time is no longer able to be viewed. I found this to be an annoyance when the dive boat’s divemaster has given a return time of a specific time. As a result, I have no idea what time it is without bringing along a separate watch. While the elapsed time of the dive is present, I’d rather be able to keep a specific time in mind. Initially I thought, “No problem. Just know how many minutes to be back to the boat after I take my giant stride and deduct from that the running time of the dive.” That works only if you make an immediate descent upon hitting the water, however. Spend a few minutes on the surface waiting for your buddy to hit the water, making any final communication, or surface swimming before descending, and I failed to realize my running dive time is now obsolete. To my divemaster on The Raptor out of Ventura, I sincerely apologize for my (repeated) tardiness. Next time I’ll bring along a $20 Timex.

In addition to functioning as a dive computer, the units also have an apnea (free diving) mode. When enabled the units will provide basic information on depth, time, and temperature. Multiple alarms can be configured for use in apnea mode. Up to three of each of the following can be set: Depth, dive time, and surface interval time.

A simple gauge mode can also be utilized on the units. This does not calculate NDLs for the dive and functions simply as a bottom timer. It presents the user with the current depth, average depth, elapsed time, a stopwatch, and temperature.

Both units also feature a simple stopwatch (timer) function. Oddly, the stopwatch only counts off tenths of seconds and seconds and does not reformat into hours, minutes, and seconds. Run a timer for 2 minutes and 37.2 seconds and it will display as “157.2.” Neither unit features a countdown timer or the ability to set an alarm for a specific time.

During use of the unit, the button presses can be accompanied with beeps and vibration to provide a positive indication of having been pressed. Either or both forms of feedback can be turned off. Imperial or metric units are available for use, as is 12 or 24 hour time display and multiple options for displaying the date.

The Software:

Both units feature the Bühlmann ZH-L-16C algorithm. The oxygen percentage can be set from 21-56%. PPO2 can be assigned from 1.2 to 1.6. Conservation or safety factors can be set from three different levels, with 1 being the most conservative to 3 being the least conservative. The modes of operation consist of scuba, freedive, and gauge and a default mode can be assigned to start upon initial descent. A planning mode is also available to provide no decompression limits based on current nitrogen loading from recent dives.

One of the biggest differences between the Centauri and the Excursion software (at their current firmware) comes with being able to delete stored data. The Excursion affords the user the ability to delete old log files, clear decompression data, reset the unit to factory defaults, or clear everything and reset to defaults. The Centauri does not provide this ability. The ability to clear the decompression data is intended for dive centers where the unit may be provided as a piece of rental gear that may change hands before the previous user’s decompression information has zeroed out on its own.

While both units use the Bühlmann ZH-L-16C algorithm, they both present slightly different no decompression limits when set on the least conservative profile. The Centauri largely provides a minute or two more, with the largest differences at the shallower depths. While Genesis does not state what the conservation factors are based on for the Centauri, Deep6 states that the factors for the Excursion are “roughly similar” to gradient factors of 35/75, 40/85, 45/95.

CF compare.jpg

Another feature found in the Excursion but lacking in the Centauri, is the ability to keep the dive log going for up to 10 minutes (user definable) after surfacing. With the Excursion if you pop up to the surface to grab a compass heading or chat with a buddy for a minute, then descend again, the log will record as one dive. With the Centauri, however, it will end the log on surfacing and after a minute start a new log upon descending again. I found on a recent under water cleanup dive that this also includes swimming up to the shallows of only a couple feet and then moving back down again. Despite never having cracked the surface, save for my tank, the Centauri still wanted to record this as two dives. Fortunately, most electronic logging software will allow you to merge or append one dive to another.

Both units have internal logs that can be recalled through the “LOG” portion of the main menu. The logging is the same between both units. The date and time as well as the temperature and max depth is displayed. A second page for the log will show a depth by time graph of the dive. The average depth is not provided.

Dive Story is a free smartphone-based application provided by Crest that is used to update firmware for both the Excursion and the Centauri in addition to downloading the dive log data and logging dives. The dive log (depth by time) can then be presented it in a graphical format. Additional dive site details can also be added to the log. The Dive Story software also allows for configuring the settings on the device that would normally be accessed through its own on-screen menus. Curiously, while the 10-minute time option to end the log on surfacing is present with the Centauri in the Dive Story device settings (it is not present on the Centauri’s internal configuration menu), it has no effect on the Centauri in operation.

For those seeking more advanced electronic logging, both the Excursion and the Centauri (and by extension the Crest CR-4) are supported through the libdivecomputer developer interface. I have personally tested and confirmed that the devices work with Diving Log 6.0. Bear in mind, as the devices utilize Bluetooth LE, the computer running Diving Log 6.0 must have a corresponding Bluetooth LE interface. Diving Log for Android also lists support for these devices.

Dive Log, a popular logging program for iOS devices, is currently beta testing support for the Centauri and Excursion. The beta version has been working well and the public release should be coming soon. Both Diving Log 6.0 and Dive Log can import and export logs to each other and allow the user to track a much greater number of details of the dive than the free Dive Story application.

MacDive for Mac and iOS devices also lists support for the Crest and Deep6 devices. While at this time its web site does not specifically list the Centauri, given that MacDive also interfaces through libdivecomputer, I would expect the Centauri to function as well since it is part of the same family of devices.

To bring greater functionality to the Excursion, Deep6 is currently developing enhanced software for their device. While in the past firmware updates have trickled down across all the devices in the Crest family, Deep6 has announced that they have an upcoming free firmware update exclusively for the Excursion. The update, referred to as “Tech Lite,” will include support for user defined gradient factors, 3 nitrox gas mixes (up to 99%), and a quick gas change menu while underwater. Additionally, the ability to display the current time during a dive is reportedly coming in this update. This update should be coming in the near future with Deep6 having publicly demonstrated some of the forthcoming changes on their Facebook page.

Deep6 has also announced an upcoming “Expedition Trimix” firmware update. This firmware will include the Tech Lite updates, full trimix support for open and closed circuit, 10 gas mixes, and fixed set point diving (closed circuit rebreather mode). This update is currently expected to be available in mid-January 2022 and will cost $75.

Overall, both units provide excellent and comparable function. But, given the extra functions present on the Excursion, that it comes with a more versatile band, it edges out the Centauri as what I believe is the better unit. And when consideration is given for the upcoming free firmware updates for the Excursion, it takes a clear lead. The MSRP for the Centauri is $345 and the Excursion is $349. While many vendors advertise the Centauri for around $300 you’ll still need to factor in the cost of a replacement band if you plan on wearing it over a thicker wetsuits. The elastic strap I mentioned previously (Blu Shark Pajama Stretch) retails for $24 plus a few dollars more for shipping. With a price difference of about $20 at this point, I can’t think of a reason to pick the Centauri over the Excursion.

Thanks @Thunder Struck

I've never seen results from the dive planners before. It appears that when the computers are set for imperial units, they display metric units converted over, rather that the even 10 foot intervals we usually see.

At CF 1 and CF 2, the Excursion and Centauri are a little more liberal than my Teric at a GF high of 75 or 85, at an atmospheric pressure of 1001 mBar, especially at shallower depths. The results for CF 3, GF high of 95 are shown below. DSAT and PZ+ are shown for additional comparison. This may turn out to be a moot point as the Excursion will have custom GFs after the firmware upgrade.

1640624502890.png

Thanks again for all the work that went into your comparison.

I had also had originally put the numbers in from my Suunto Spyder which runs RGBM circa 1999. It was more liberal than either of the two at depth but more conservative < 60 ft. I did, however, read that the Suunto RGBM becomes more conservative on subsequent dives. Something I'm curious to test. Should be scouting out some reported deep ledges around 120 in a couple weeks. I'll probably wind up looking like a Scuba Lab reviewer with computers running up and down my arms.

CF w Spyder.jpg

As to the depth on the plan mode, I hadn't though about it, but what you are saying makes sense. about it converting from metric to imperial. The planning mode starts at zero then increases in roughly 3' increments as follows: 3, 6, 9, 13, 16, 19, 22, 26, 29, 32 36 39 42 45 <from here it follows what's posted above>.
1m=3.28084'
2m=6.56168'
3m=9.84252'
4m=13.12336'
5m=16.4042'
6m=19.68504'
7m=22.96588'
8m=26.24672'
9M=29.52756'
10m=32.8084'
11m=36.08924'

So instead of rounding up the value they just take the integer value and drops the decimals.

I'm looking forward to the update from Deep6. I'll update/ammend the review accordingly after it gets released and I have a chance to dive it.

You forgot to mention that the Centauri will lock you out for 24 hours if you violate its recommendations. As far as I can tell, the Excursion won't. Neither provide the actual GFs used, only choice of low, medium, or high conservatism.

...I'll probably wind up looking like a Scuba Lab reviewer with computers running up and down my arms...
ScubaLab does its objective testing at the USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber. Computers on arms only for the test-dive protocol The Best Dive Computers of 2021
You forgot to mention that the Centauri will lock you out for 24 hours if you violate its recommendations. As far as I can tell, the Excursion won't. Neither provide the actual GFs used, only choice of low, medium, or high conservatism.
I've posted this previously. I do a lot of diving off boats in SE FL. Not infrequently, a diver asks me why their computer does not seem to be working normally. The most common answer is that they are in violation gauge mode after missing a deco stop. In general, lock out may be a good thing, these divers may even learn something, like how their dive computer works.

Awesome review @Thunder Struck ... mostly a moot point after D6 releases their new software though, yeah? Really great review though.

Also the original ~ 12" Nato band that came with the D6 dc was too small for 7mm / drysuit / cold water diving (for me). I bought the 16" which are a lot easier to don / doff.

Edit: is the light on the Centauri the same? Holy moly the Excursion is bright. It's like a mini dive light by itself. I have to turn that all the way down, lol.

Awesome review @Thunder Struck ... mostly a moot point after D6 releases their new software though, yeah? Really great review though.

Also the original ~ 12" Nato band that came with the D6 dc was too small for 7mm / drysuit / cold water diving (for me). I bought the 16" which are a lot easier to don / doff.

Edit: is the light on the Centauri the same? Holy moly the Excursion is bright. It's like a mini dive light by itself. I have to turn that all the way down, lol.

When Deep6 updates their firmware I'll work up updating the review.

My standard exposure suit is a 7mm Henderson Aqualock with 5mm gloves. I'm sure I could also get the strap around 7mm gloves easy enough. But if your wrists are somewhat larger than mine I can certainly see how the strap would run short.

The light is certainly bright on the Excursion. Now the Excursion is very new compared to the Centauri that I've had for a few months now. But even in the pool it's like a dive light. In the summer I would cool down after a long day at work by laying at the bottom of my pool for an hour and just watch the sky and tree limbs in the beeze. At night when I would run the timer function as I would lay on the bottom of my pool and look up at the stars. But the backlight of the unit was like having a small flash light. Could even use it to check the SPG.

Of note, once the setting is set, it's set. On a dive you can't change anything. I never found the Centauri's brightness lacking, and I didn't think much of how bright the Excursion was until I put it next to the Centauri.

While I haven't run into the situation, and the Centauri's manual states nothing about it, the Centauri's last dive status screen (down from time screen) does have a "NO DIVE" countdown in addition to a "NO FLY" countdown. The Crest manual does state the CR-4 will lock out scuba, apnea, and planning modes during a lockout period for which it displays a no diving icon. The Excursion also has the no dive status field as well, but given a user could go in and reset the unit, they could clear it should it trigger. Of course it's not recommended. How's that saying go about old divers and bold divers?

ScubaLab does its objective testing at the USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber. Computers on arms only for the test-dive protocol The Best Dive Computers of 2021
FWIW the Centauri was given a "Besy Buy" rating by Scuba Lab in the 2020 review. Watching the review video though, one doesn't actually see the unit in use, simply what appears to be some generic footage of the testing process. Don't know how many reviewers they have with presbyopia, however, I'm personally seeing that more and more as time goes by. Just had a quick eye check today, able to hit the 20/13 line with ease. Just don't put it within arm's reach of me and I'm good. :wink:

Crest CR4 is top of my list if one of my ancient computer packs up. It is dirt cheap locally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom