Review Fix Under Warmer Heated Vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azstinger11

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Wasn't much online about this vest outside one blog post I found, First Look: Fisheye FIX Under Warmer - . But decided it was worth a try. The model I purchased is clearly more of their entry level as it is only heated one side (back) and has the smaller of two battery options. I believe this is the Japenese market version of the Venture Dive+Surf heated vest, PRO V2 Heated Dive Suit Kit | Venture Heat , as they look identical (minus the branding elements).

Fit: They fit snug and you want them to be as tight as is reasonably comfortable. I think I ended up with a size too large but it still works okay. There is a single zipper on the wearer's right hand size which means that its a bit uneven (as that side doesn't stretch quite as much as the side with just elastic.

Construction: So far no complaints everything seems well made, no loose threads, appears to be quality components all around.

Battery: I've only had it out twice and neither time did the batteries get anywhere near low. Both times I was diving wet and ran the unit on full heat for most of the dive sessions. The batteries are strapped into the vest in two pockets. You have your choice of more front or back facing pockets, I''m currently using the more forward pockets. With how the vest sits it doesn't interfere or rub on the waist band of my rEvo and fits inside my pool jacket BCD. Batteries come with their own proprietary charger/ wall plug.

Heating: I'm not sure what I was expecting to be honest. It isn't like sitting on a heating pad on the couch but its enough to take the edge off cool water and let you go one down on wetsuit thickness is the best I can think of it. I did a 70 minute CCR runtime dive @ 75ft with an average temperature of 54F in a 5mm suit (3mm gloves/boots/hood) and was quite comfortable, normally I would have been in a 7mm semidry. Also used it in a pool during some instructor training recently. Was hoping it would help cut the wind cooling effect when standing half out of the water talking to students and the like. It did okay at this, wasn't super warm but again took the edge off. When standing on the pool deck could really feel the difference though, more so than in the water.

Remote: To control the unit you get a wireless remote which turns the unit on/off and adjusts the 3 heat settings. It comes with its own charger station (it charges via the two metal pins that stick out of the remote). Buttons are easy to press and screen easy to read, there is also a haptic feedback on the remote and the vest when you change settings. This is probably the weak/failure of the unit. After the first dive day my handset refused to turn back on for a day or so, and after the most recent pool session my wife's did likewise. We think the remotes got pinned and the button was being pressed draining the battery on the remote but unsure.

I'm not overly keen on batteries being inside my wetsuit/drysuit but wanted to give this product a test as I know other divers using them (and have been for a while). If you want an electric heated wetsuit you don't really have a lot of options lol.

Overall 7/10

I'll post pictures at a later time (but seriously look at the venture heat website, they are basically clones).

@azstinger11 - what's the long term verdict? Do you still like the vest? What other alternatives have you considered or tried?

@azstinger11 - what's the long term verdict? Do you still like the vest? What other alternatives have you considered or tried?

Overall it’s been good. Used them exclusively diving wet and it served well. It absolutely can take the edge off the cold and with a good semi-dry can keep you not cold. Did a few dives over the winter with my 5mm here in California with it and while not warm, wasn’t too cold. My only complaint is that the cable on the battery has started to develop some break in the rubber, fixed it myself despite probably being able to claim a warranty.

For wetsuits not much of a choice really if you want heat. With a drysuit still think I’d prefer an external battery and controller.

The venture heat vest last revision also looks like it slightly changed/upgrades the battery connection. I haven’t had any issues but the new connection looks a bit better than 4 pin one my vest uses.

Overall it’s been good. Used them exclusively diving wet and it served well. It absolutely can take the edge off the cold and with a good semi-dry can keep you not cold. Did a few dives over the winter with my 5mm here in California with it and while not warm, wasn’t too cold. My only complaint is that the cable on the battery has started to develop some break in the rubber, fixed it myself despite probably being able to claim a warranty.

For wetsuits not much of a choice really if you want heat. With a drysuit still think I’d prefer an external battery and controller.

The venture heat vest last revision also looks like it slightly changed/upgrades the battery connection. I haven’t had any issues but the new connection looks a bit better than 4 pin one my vest uses.
How long does it take to charge the battery? How long do the batteries last assuming use at the lowest power setting.

Thanks

How long does it take to charge the battery? How long do the batteries last assuming use at the lowest power setting.

Thanks

I haven’t timed charging the batteries but I would say it does take them a while when they are low. The batteries have lasted me 3x 1 hour dives on medium, haven’t tried high for that many dives. I generally turn on my heat once I’ve started ascending and don’t need it on the bottom.

Reactions: CWK
I haven’t timed charging the batteries but I would say it does take them a while when they are low. The batteries have lasted me 3x 1 hour dives on medium, haven’t tried high for that many dives. I generally turn on my heat once I’ve started ascending and don’t need it on the bottom.
Many thanks

Someone reported that the vest caught fire. Please be careful.
Screenshot_2024-02-25-23-27-54-809_com.twitter.android.jpg

I got a burn from a Venture Heat due to a short in the Y connector. Didn't feel it during the dive but it got hot after the dive even though I had turned it off. No sign of damage to the connector. YMMV.

I got a burn from a Venture Heat due to a short in the Y connector. Didn't feel it during the dive but it got hot after the dive even though I had turned it off. No sign of damage to the connector. YMMV.
😰horrible

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom