Trip Report Diving in Galapagos in October 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great dive report and you saw all the things! I'm going in June and can only hope to see as much as you did.

Reactions: Dan
I’m going back to Galapagos in December. This time I’ll be more prepared by having 7/5mm hooded vest over my 7mm wetsuit for Cabo Douglas (to see Marine Iguanas & Red Lipped Batfish) & Punta Vincente Roca (to see Mola Mola & Bullhead Sharks).

The hooded vest I had was too small on the chest area especially for wearing it over the 7mm wetsuit. So I had Custom Wetsuits - Terrapin Wetsuits enlarged it plus adding zipper across the chest for easy donning & doffing. That 14mm neoprene around chest area and 5mm hood should keep me from freezing in 15C (59F) water.

I’ll report back the outcome in January 2024.

IMG_1716.jpeg

I’m going back to Galapagos in December. This time I’ll be more prepared by having 7/5mm hooded vest over my 7mm wetsuit for Cabo Douglas (to see Marine Iguanas & Red Lipped Batfish) & Punta Vincente Roca (to see Mola Mola & Bullhead Sharks).

The hooded vest I had was too small on the chest area especially for wearing it over the 7mm wetsuit. So I had Custom Wetsuits - Terrapin Wetsuits enlarged it plus adding zipper across the chest for easy donning & doffing. That 14mm neoprene around chest area and 5mm hood should keep me from freezing in 15C (59F) water.

I hope you see all the things. I did not. I saw 2 sea robins and all of the 'standard stuff' (hammerheads, many turtles, etc.) but no Whale Shark and no Mola mola no bat fish :-( Loved the marine iguanas.

We know what that means - time to go back! I'm thinking October 2024.
BTW I did it all in a 5mm semi-dry suit and wore a 5mm hood when we dove around Isabella and Fernandina but otherwise the 5mm worked. You should be right toasty with your double 7mm set up.

I'll be looking for your report! Galapagos is on my list but the cold temps are not for me. I wear a 7mm in 75 degree water and I'm still chilly. If this works for you maybe I'll give it a shot!

We know what that means - time to go back! I'm thinking October 2024.
My October 2022 trips are definitely better than my December 2016 trip,

I'll be looking for your report! Galapagos is on my list but the cold temps are not for me. I wear a 7mm in 75 degree water and I'm still chilly. If this works for you maybe I'll give it a shot!

I'm going back in December because it is supposed to be warmer and going with a couple friends this time, rather than going solo like in the previous trips. The December 2016 trip was my first time in Galapagos. I was wearing 5mm full wetsuit plus 2mm shorty at the time and got pretty cold in Cabo Douglas & Punta Vincente Roca. I thought the 7mm would take care of the cold in October, but it was not. Hopefully the 7/5mm hooded vest over the 7mm full wetsuit would take care of the cold this time.

Also this December trip is for 11 days, instead of the regular 8-day trip. So, I'll be diving in Wolf for 2 days, instead of 1 in regular trip. We will be diving in some new sites like Roca Redonda, Cabo Marshall and Los Gemelos on top of the 8-day trip itinerary.

Also this December trip is for 11 days, instead of the regular 8-day trip. So, I'll be diving in Wolf for 2 days, instead of 1 in regular trip. We will be diving in some new sites like Roca Redonda, Cabo Marshall and Los Gemelos on top of the 8-day trip itinerary.

Which boat are you going on? I could do 11 days there. So fun. Also, this year is an El Nino year so it wasn't as cold. No idea how it will be in Dec. I can't imagine you won't stay warm with all that neoprene. You'll need a lot of weight!

Which boat are you going on? I could do 11 days there. So fun. Also, this year is an El Nino year so it wasn't as cold. No idea how it will be in Dec. I can't imagine you won't stay warm with all that neoprene. You'll need a lot of weight!

I’m going with Galapagos Master for 18-28 December 2023 trip with 10% off deal, Schedules and Prices

With 7mm wetsuit I used 20lb weight. Most of the divings are staying at the bottom, hanging on the rock to see the parade of schooling fish. So, you want to be a bit heavy. With additional 7/5mm hooded vest may need 22lbs? We’ll see on the checkout dive in San Cristobal.

I’m going with Galapagos Master for 18-28 December 2023 trip with 10% off deal, Schedules and Prices

With 7mm wetsuit I used 20lb weight. Most of the divings are staying at the bottom, hanging on the rock to see the parade of schooling fish. So, you want to be a bit heavy. With additional 7/5mm hooded vest may need 22lbs? We’ll see on the checkout dive in San Cristobal.
Based on your past experience, do you think a full 5mm wetsuit, plus 5/3mm hooded vest, will be sufficient? that's 10mm in core body part in total.

also, for gloves and boots, will 2-3mm neoprene be ok?

thanks!

Amazing report and photos, thank you very much

Based on your past experience, do you think a full 5mm wetsuit, plus 5/3mm hooded vest, will be sufficient? that's 10mm in core body part in total.

also, for gloves and boots, will 2-3mm neoprene be ok?

thanks!
@OrcaBoy87, here are some numbers/impressions from my December 2022 trip where I wore a full 5 mm wetsuit plus 3 mm hooded vest which is close to the gear in your question:

Wetsuit for Galapagos in December

I wore 4 mm gloves with kevlar palms/fingers (Pinnacle Merino Karbonflex) and my hands were warm. Fellow divers with straight up neoprene gloves ended up with holes in them from holding barnacle-covered rocks (not a scratch on my gloves). I wore 5 mm boots because, well, that's what I have...and my feet were warm.

Truly an amazing trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom