DIR reg's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shawley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there a official written list of approved dir/gue regulators, if so where?
Sorry still new, shopping regs Thanks!

Not sure about a list, but the reg's I've seen around the WKPP are:

SP Mk25
Apeks DS4
Zeagles (older models)

Really you are just looking for a quality first stage with good breathing characteristics that doesn't require any special hoses. The second stage you should be able to take apart underwater. And stay away from titanium regs.

Atomic Aquatics are also very nice.

Not sure about a list, but the reg's I've seen around the WKPP are:

SP Mk25
Apeks DS4
Zeagles (older models)

Really you are just looking for a quality first stage with good breathing characteristics that doesn't require any special hoses. The second stage you should be able to take apart underwater. And stay away from titanium regs.

Atomic Aquatics are also very nice.

The older Zeagles were made by Apex and are for the most part DS4/ TX50s. Best bet for backgas is Apex DS4 1st. (Apex no longer makes Zeagle regs so avoid them now.) I prefer the more tested TX50 seconds but some of the newer Apex seconds are fine. Scubapro Mk25 firsts with G250 seconds make great stage regs and are fine as back gas too but require more maintenance than Apex. Again, with the SP, there are other seconds they make that are fine. But, there are also SP second stages that are very much not acceptable.

There are some other regs out there that work, but most are compromised in some way or another. For instance, Oceanic used to make a SP Mk10 clone that was cheaper and was often used as a stage reg, particularly when it was going to be left long term as a safety and could potentially be beyond repair when finally pulled from the system. (The Atomics were basically clones too built buy old SP guys but cost more. I don't know the current verdict on these) For the relatively low number of regs most people here will ever buy, the easiest way to avoid having to toss regs and rebuy is to stick with the tried and true SP or Apex models.

The older Zeagles were made by Apex and are for the most part DS4/ TX50s. Best bet for backgas is Apex DS4 1st. (Apex no longer makes Zeagle regs so avoid them now.) I prefer the more tested TX50 seconds but some of the newer Apex seconds are fine.

I would assume you are saying the older Zeagles are OK, but avoid the newer ones? I bought my gal two of the Zeagle/Apex Tech50D's as brand new from ebay for $150 each with 1st and 2nd stages, plus some useless hoses, went through them with Apex parts, since they are Apex regs, added some Halcyon hoses (Better quality than most other brands), a gauge from divesports and they work perfectly. I would call the older Zeagles a kept secret. The hardest part is finding them in din, but for how cheap they are, the conversion kit can be added.

My regs Mk25/S600's were bought brand new from an authorized SP dealer, and I would not do that again $$$$. They are really nice regs though...

So what is wrong with the newer Zeagle regs. I haven't had any problems with my envoy deluxes.

I would assume that dive rite, oxycheq, scubamax and aqualung would be dir compliant.

So in my post where I was requesting advice on a back-up 2nd stage RTodd, you just closed the thread rather than giving me advice.?

Thanks, that was appropriate.

Would it have been too hard to provide me with the above link and give me a little info. I came to the DIR forum looking for advice from people who know more than I do. Thanks for the help RTodd.

So in my post where I was requesting advice on a back-up 2nd stage RTodd, you just closed the thread rather than giving me advice.?

Thanks, that was appropriate.

Would it have been too hard to provide me with the above link and give me a little info. I came to the DIR forum looking for advice from people who know more than I do. Thanks for the help RTodd.

Hey, wait a minute - you posted the same thing in the cave forum so who's opinion do you want?

Further more, one of the first replies to your post suggested as RTodd did (Apeks) and you shot the idea down saying:
Well, I certainly would, but I already own all of the above mentioned 2nd stages and I'm just wondering which to stick on it. I'm pretty much trying to put this rig together with stuff in my garage.

So it appears that you are in fact trying to find the cheap way to go about it, not the right way.

Jason B, I posted in the Cave forum also because I was attempting to get more than one opinion. You can't have too much information... at least that's how I feel about it.

And as far as being cheep, well not really. I'd love to buy another Apeks reg, and I may very well after reading the info attached to this thread, but if I can get away with using something I already have, and that is well maintained; then why not. If the 2nd stages I had on hand (the ones listed) were inappropriate, then why not just tell me that. Why not say "None of the regs you have are safe, you should buy another Apeks and this is why..."

No, instead we just close the thread. Apparently a thread requesting informed opinions is inappropriate but a thread about GUE clothing for dogs is OK.

I'm not DIR, but I am interested in learning about DIR theories and practices. I come to this forum to learn and that's what I was trying to do.

By the way, I'm not trying to start a war or hijack this thread, I'm just a bit confused as to why a thread requesting information would be closed rather than educating the poster, or requesting they try their question in another forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom