DIR- Generic "DIR Approved" Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are talking about DIR. You can believe what you like, but DIR doesn't necessarily require unbalanced second stage regulators. I have that straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

“Hey let’s add complexity and reduce the reliability of the most important piece of equipment that I have”. Makes no sense.

Not to get into the dogma of this but I would love to know more about how this break happened since there are a lot of these balanced regulators out there the this hasn’t happened to.
There are, but I’ve had WAY more issues in general with balanced regs than r190 type. There’s just more to it.

Balanced is fine for stage and primary, but for backup? Most reliable option should be the choice.

“Let’s start with the backup regulator ( not the “safe second” or “octopus”, the BACKUP). The backup must be instantly accessible. We hang it around the neck on surgical tubing or bungee which is held on by the tie wrap that holds the mouthpiece to the regulator. It must be up close to the neck in order to minimize the venturi effect on the reg, and to provide a strap to hold that reg tightly in the mouth when necessary. That reg must be a non air balanced, low performance reg.” George Irvine.

Horses mouth enough?

You guys are too much sometimes.

There are, but I’ve had WAY more issues in general with balanced regs than r190 type. There’s just more to it.

Balanced is fine for stage and primary, but for backup? Most reliable option should be the choice.
The r190 is a pretty tough second for sure but I have never seen a poppet break like that, I would love to know the history but that isn’t possible. Do these long dive cavers use inline shut off’s? In a case like the broken poppet, if this were the primary how would someone deal with it if such a failure happened? Even a simple unbalanced is susceptible to catastrophic failure, what is the method used to stop gas loss?just curious.

The r190 is a pretty tough second for sure but I have never seen a poppet break like that, I would love to know the history but that isn’t possible. Do these long dive cavers use inline shut off’s? In a case like the broken poppet, if this were the primary how would someone deal with it if such a failure happened? Even a simple unbalanced is susceptible to catastrophic failure, what is the method used to stop gas loss?just curious.
It’s my reg. Normally serviced, nothing out of the ordinary happened to it except that it just broke.

Good Q on how to manage a leak. Each 1st stage only has one 2nd stage attached to it, so you shut down the appropriate regulator entirely. With manifolded doubles (DIR), you have access to the remaining gas via the manifold.

Rb80 configuration does have the BOV and primary reg off of the right post 1st stage, but the BOV is super reliable (it’s an r190). There are two injectors into the rb80, and each can be shut down independently.

It’s my reg. Normally serviced, nothing out of the ordinary happened to it except that it just broke.

Good Q on how to manage a leak. Each 1st stage only has one 2nd stage attached to it, so you shut down the appropriate regulator entirely. With manifolded doubles (DIR), you have access to the remaining gas via the manifold.

Rb80 configuration does have the BOV and primary reg off of the right post 1st stage, but the BOV is super reliable (it’s an r190). There are two injectors into the rb80, and each can be shut down independently.
Was it a new part (poppet) ?

I mean it was at some point in the past? Couldn’t tell ya how many hours were on it.
I guess is that crystal the only regulator it had ever been in? It just an odd failure point.

“Let’s start with the backup regulator ( not the “safe second” or “octopus”, the BACKUP). The backup must be instantly accessible. We hang it around the neck on surgical tubing or bungee which is held on by the tie wrap that holds the mouthpiece to the regulator. It must be up close to the neck in order to minimize the venturi effect on the reg, and to provide a strap to hold that reg tightly in the mouth when necessary. That reg must be a non air balanced, low performance reg.” George Irvine.

Horses mouth enough?

You guys are too much sometimes.
Isn't that obsoete? Nearly all the regs that I see are balanced.

And ''instantly accessable" only seems to apply to recreational dives. Plenty of back up regs hung on bailout bottles. And plenty of longhoses buried under a loop.

Ive got 2 minutes to get to my backup, once I donate my primary.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom