DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilldiver:
As long as we are jokeing around here I do have a question. Up in Southern New England we have all od one GUE instructor and he is only DIRF qualified. So we are not a DIR hot bed.

But my question is this. On a number of ocasions I have seen some "DIR" types, or want-to -be's, jump off the boat on the U-853 wreck without their masks on and no reg in their mouths. They say it is "what they were taught."

Can anyone tell me why anyone would ever do this?

But I also tend to laugh at them jumping off with twin 125's a 30% or greater helium mix and plan on only doing a trip aound the wrecks deck with a bottom time of 20 minutes. At 120-123 they have enough gas to get mail delivered.

I also usualy have to tell them what they have seen, as none of them do that one thing any wreck diver should do - study the ship and wreck before hand. They are so tied up in the diving skills that they miss the wreck and the enjoyment of wreck exploration.

Pete

I dunno man, but I was jumping into some caves without a mask on. Its a 10ft drop to the water and it seemed safer in my hand than on my head.

I like having bucu gas :D But there are folks diving double 119s and up around here at sites where you need a shovel to get below 45ft. Weird.

lamont:
I was putting my inflator hose inside the bungie when it wasn't DIR...
Thats the problem. I just haven't checked in with the mother ship lately...either that or the tinfoil is working too good. :)

But there are folks diving double 119s and up around here at sites where you need a shovel to get below 45ft.

Some of us are PRACTICING . . . :)

I'm only DIR-F, but I certainly wasn't taught to jump in the water with my mask off and reg out of my mouth. And I don't.

The 30% helium mix at 120 I understand, though. If you paid money for the charter, it'd be nice to remember the dive . . .

riguerin:
Hey man ... this is no laughing matter ! Your life can depend on this very simple gear decision :D

To illustratre this, I'll share a little incident that happened to me recently. During a decent on a night dive, I went to hit the wing inflater button and nada ! Apparently, the low pressure inflater hose somehow got disconnected. Now, we had done a pretty thorough pre-dive check which, included an inflation check ... so I know for a fact that it was connected before entering the water. What we later determined was that the piece of bungee on the left chest D-Ring had worked itself under the LP hose collar and released it when I lifted the hose to dump the wing. I was easily able to reproduce this on land later.
Thats the reason we were given on the "why" inflator hose on the outside. AG even demonstrated it on land for us.

and yet...with the hose on the outside...(With all regards to KevRumbardo) I was still able to do the Toxing diver drill. Go figure :wink:

TSandM:
Some of us are PRACTICING . . . :)

Oh I know...
a certain laywer friend of ours was going on the other night about how much nicer doubles are, even at Edmonds. But getting 100% squared away in a single is worthy too ya know :D

It seems like life starts with doubles lately...

I'll sometimes practice with doubles- I'll go to the quarry and lead around some single tank OW divers on 20' dives. I'll have doubles with stage and deco bottles. It does look ridiculous sometimes, but we all get something out of the dive. When I stop to let the other divers look at something, I just move some bottles around or reach for my valves.

Well I guess I'm a card carring stroke cause I put the hose outside the bungie.
I was taught by AG and shown in detail as Jeff G describes that the hose inside the bungie will disconnect from the inflator.
And as Jeff G states we also practiced Toxing diver rescues without a problem.
Convince me otherwise and I'll be glad to switch.
Until then I'm happy with the way it works now.

Milo

I bet if you ask him now he'll show you another way :D

I have it inside and never had it come undone - well it did once when the H SS inflator went plewy and I wanted it off.

I've always had mine inside, because by the time I took Fundies, that was what I was taught. I've never had mine pop off, but my dive buddy had his come off twice on the Nanaimo trip. We do, however, use different brands of gear :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom