DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeckyll:
That's just uncalled for...

It was meant as humor and someone said they were going to PM him on it. I don't think the person really meant it.

grazie42:
I´d take that as a compliment...getting banned from the DIR-forum while having GUE-certs can´t be easy...I´m sure it takes a special kind of talent...
Jeff definitely fits into the "special" category. :wink:

*Floater*:
This question is for people who have taken DIRF and/or other GUE courses, but don't always DIR. I'm just curious where you've decided to deviate from DIR practices or would prefer to and why?

Like you, I prefer a wrist slate to wetnotes, and there are several other configuration discrepancies, but the primary reason that I don't dive DIR is because I often, perhaps even most often, dive with people who are not DIR divers, and who have no interest in becomming so. They are, and in many cases have long been good buddies and capable divers, and I am generally unwilling to preclude diving with them because of it. Since I frequently dive with non-DIR divers, I frequently dive with people using a variety of different gear configurations, and many of the DIR team diving principles are unworkable in the absence of consistancy. Since I can't count on my buddy having complimentary gear, skills, or expectations, I need to be prepared to fill in the gaps after sorting out what they are during the pre-dive.

Put simply, the open water dives I most frequently do rarely require a team approach (in the DIR sense) for them to be successful, and since I most frequently dive with a buddy and the gear I believe the dive requires me to have instead of a DIR team member and the gear the DIR philosophy dictates I should I have, I can't really consider myself DIR.

riguerin:
Hey man ... this is no laughing matter ! Your life can depend on this very simple gear decision :D

To illustratre this, I'll share a little incident that happened to me recently. During a decent on a night dive, I went to hit the wing inflater button and nada ! Apparently, the low pressure inflater hose somehow got disconnected. Now, we had done a pretty thorough pre-dive check which, included an inflation check ... so I know for a fact that it was connected before entering the water. What we later determined was that the piece of bungee on the left chest D-Ring had worked itself under the LP hose collar and released it when I lifted the hose to dump the wing. I was easily able to reproduce this on land later.

Now, I was lucky on two counts. First we were doing a shallow shore dive and descended in ~15 fsw. Secondly, my dry suit offers a secondary source of inflation. I suffered only a little damage to my ego as I crashed into the rapidly approaching bottom before being able to fully recognize and resolve the problem. :blush:

Afterward, we had a philosophical debate about this. I was surprised to find disagreement between the other two team members. One was configured like me (inflator hose inside bungee) ... the other like Jeff (inflator hose outside bungee). Thoughts ?

A couple of years ago, I used to have the LP inflator hose outside the bungee loop with the percieved stand point that it would prevent the inflator hose from gliding out from the bungee loop. When taking the Tech 1 class, I was instructed not to keep it like this due to the increased risk of having the LP inflator hose disconnected when the loop is trapped at the insertion point. They also said that the corrugated hose will not glide out from the bungee loop anyway, and I was therefore trying to fix a problem that did not really exist... (have you heard that one before? :D )

Since I have changed to having the LP hose inside the loop, I have also found that it glides much better when dumping air at the initial descent, making it easier to lift compared to with my "old" configuration, where the loop easier got "stuck" in the corrugated rubber hose.

All in all I would say, based on good advice and my personal limited experience, that there is really no reason to have the LP inflator hose connected to the inflator outside the loop.

Anders

grazie42:
I´d take that as a compliment...getting banned from the DIR-forum while having GUE-certs can´t be easy...I´m sure it takes a special kind of talent...
Yup ... it's called "a sense of humor" ... :eyebrow:

Jeff's is an acquired taste ... which, unfortunately, many have yet to acquire ... :shakehead

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

globaldiver:
They also said that the corrugated hose will not glide out from the bungee loop anyway, and I was therefore trying to fix a problem that did not really exist... (have you heard that one before? :D )
They were ... of course ... referring to the corrugated hose on the Halcyon wing.

YMMV on wings that use a different style corrugated hose ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ams511:
It was meant as humor and someone said they were going to PM him on it. I don't think the person really meant it.

If I'd put a " :rofl3: " at the end of my post, how would you have interpreted it?

It's easy to get things wrong on a msg board :)

jeckyll:
... and the truth why Jeff is banned is finally revealed!

And you told me it was because you dissed scientologists by comparing them to DIR'ers :eyebrow:

So in Scientology, spirits originated in a volcano.
In DIR, replace volcano with @$$.

Everytime you sneeze in scientology, you're one step closer to purity...
Everytime you woft in your scents in DIR, you realize how pure a diver you are...

In all honesty, though, I think I've just acquired my likings for Jeff. I admire a man who gets banned from a DIR forum. A buddy of mine had me watch the 2004 DIR DVD's, and I've got to say, there's nothing more entertaining than watching George and JJ ramble on unscripted for 8 hours or so. And if anyone's actually seen it, does it seem odd that the longest section in there is about the Gavin Scooter? Is this George's big chance to wh0r3 it out? And before they film the next one, get TWO lapel (sp) mics and get the one off the table that kept getting banged around. I think I'm going to have to bill GUE for new speakers on my TV.

JeffG:
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...I put the inflator hose outside the bungie......I'mmmmmmmm going to diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I was putting my inflator hose inside the bungie when it wasn't DIR...

As long as we are jokeing around here I do have a question. Up in Southern New England we have all od one GUE instructor and he is only DIRF qualified. So we are not a DIR hot bed.

But my question is this. On a number of ocasions I have seen some "DIR" types, or want-to -be's, jump off the boat on the U-853 wreck without their masks on and no reg in their mouths. They say it is "what they were taught."

Can anyone tell me why anyone would ever do this?

But I also tend to laugh at them jumping off with twin 125's a 30% or greater helium mix and plan on only doing a trip aound the wrecks deck with a bottom time of 20 minutes. At 120-123 they have enough gas to get mail delivered.

I also usualy have to tell them what they have seen, as none of them do that one thing any wreck diver should do - study the ship and wreck before hand. They are so tied up in the diving skills that they miss the wreck and the enjoyment of wreck exploration.

Pete

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom