DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
(you wern't supposed to say it outloud, spoiler)
I had too. It was getting too silly.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...I put the inflator hose outside the bungie......I'mmmmmmmm going to diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

LOL

JeffG:
I have done all the above to some extent, but I do have to laugh.

Listing 2 loops, Brass Clips, switching pockets.

If people think this is a big deal....missed the point of DIR in the first place.

Of course it's not a big deal, but it is of interest to me at least.

Until this Sat, I only had mechanical pencils in my wet notes - no standard pencil back up. (Bad Kenny...)

Uh, I don't have the elastic loops overlapping on my gauges. Of course, I use the Tobin boots - has the DIR Supreme Court ruled his gauge boots have enough DIRness to be part of the official kit? Or because they came out after "Dress for Success" they're also poopoo bad?

I have two loops on my light head and use a double ender And the loops are (gasp) elastic... I night shore dive more than most DIR-types and having the light head pointing down makes sense for the exit. Deal.

In November I ditched all of my Zip ties and went to Cave Line. Guess that's ONE in the plus column.

I only dive with one back up light. (Bad Kenny...) Of course, I only open water dive, so maybe that's just half-a-bad Kenny?

My shears are on the ScubaRoo quick deploy sheath. Is that still a DIR DIW? Do I get bonus points because I cut the Steel D ring out of my pockets and am using double elastic loops?

I don't have a double-ender on my wet notes. I'm so embarassed.

I dive on air 90% of the time - to all recreational depths. That's not the issue. The issue is its SoCal air, and I'm pretty sure that's a "non-standard mix" (Bad Kenny...)

My DS has Blue piping. So its not ALL BLACK. Its mostly black, though. Oh, and the blue is faded to a nice OD. So its's not really blue any more.

I dive in rock boots. But I have cut the laces. So that's again only half-fast, right?

I pulled the stupid nylon cordage out of my Spring Straps on my Turtles. So I get credit for the springs, but lose half-credit for no Cordage. Hmmm.... its not looking good for me.

I dive a Vytec. I dive it in gauge mode. But most of the time, the team deco is managed by the non-photographer (read: HBDG).... can they take away my Card for that. Oh, wait - I never got a card for my Fundies. Can they take away my Fundies book for that?

My back up mask has a double ender AND an unbreakable Slap Strap. So there. I rule!

I eBayed my ACB and have been diving a weight belt for over a year now. I so rule. Wait - is the weight belt supposed to go on before or after the harness? After the harness but before the crotch strap? Like I care. Its a 4 pound weight belt. In my defence, it is all black, with black weights AND black weight keepers. PLUS - it has an old school ScubaPro Steel buckle. Oh yeah, baby. I'm back in!

I only use SS hardware. Again, I rule. Does that make up for sharing a computer?

There isn't a single hose protector on any of my rigs. OH - and I only use "standard" mouthpieces... none of that SeaCure crap. OK - I'm blowing the big stuff, but I'm killing the small stuff here. Maybe I get to keep my Fundies book.

I use dry gloves - but at present I've removed the seals from my suit. So I'm a deadly, slow, cold death from exposure waiting to happen. After about 400 dives with my DC gloves and not a single leak, I felt confident enough to make a decision on my own and just said no to Mickey Hands, air trapping and slow donning. OK - so the Fundies book is back on the block. Can we negotiate one really lame DIR Double DVD Set I bought and couldn't get through? I'll give that back if I get to keep the Fundies book.

I'm not a member of Quest. How strokealicious is that? If I pony up the extortion for the DIR photo calendar (which is something I'll actually use and enjoy...) am I forgiven for not participating, monitoring and listening to all DIR radio?

I don't live in Florida. Around here that's a crime. I'm sure it makes me a second class DIR citizen, too.

All of my tanks are PST Gray steel. I rock. So I can keep the book, right? Dammit. I just remembered my singles have the boots still on them. Hmmmm... OK. Can I just tear out and give back chapter 5?

I haven't been logging dives since 2004. But I started again Jan 1, 2007. So I'm good, right?

Lemmie see. I do a pre-dive briefing for every dive. Buddy and I de-brief nearly every dive (or at the least re-live the best moments in pictures.) We dedicate about 75% of our doubles dives and about 20% of our singles dives to "practice" dives. I deploy the long hose on every descent. I stow my light cord on every entry and exit. I clip off the long hose for every shore entry, and every shore exit, and for every boat exit. I can pin a 10 foot stop and not even twitch - even with 200# in the can. In over 700 drysuit dives, I've never once entered the water with my zipper open. In my nearly 800 total dives I've never run out of air (neither has my buddy), I've never not made it back to the boat or to the shore, I've never been bent, I've never required rescue, I've never had an uncontrolled ascent, I've never come up without my buddy or peed in a wetsuit (ok, that last one is a lie.)

If the DIR high court wants to toss me out, whatever. Take a number - I've been tossed out of bigger clubs than that one.

---
Ken

JeffG:
I put the inflator hose outside the bungie......I'mmmmmmmm going to diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

LOL

Hey man ... this is no laughing matter ! Your life can depend on this very simple gear decision :D

To illustratre this, I'll share a little incident that happened to me recently. During a decent on a night dive, I went to hit the wing inflater button and nada ! Apparently, the low pressure inflater hose somehow got disconnected. Now, we had done a pretty thorough pre-dive check which, included an inflation check ... so I know for a fact that it was connected before entering the water. What we later determined was that the piece of bungee on the left chest D-Ring had worked itself under the LP hose collar and released it when I lifted the hose to dump the wing. I was easily able to reproduce this on land later.

Now, I was lucky on two counts. First we were doing a shallow shore dive and descended in ~15 fsw. Secondly, my dry suit offers a secondary source of inflation. I suffered only a little damage to my ego as I crashed into the rapidly approaching bottom before being able to fully recognize and resolve the problem. :blush:

Afterward, we had a philosophical debate about this. I was surprised to find disagreement between the other two team members. One was configured like me (inflator hose inside bungee) ... the other like Jeff (inflator hose outside bungee). Thoughts ?

riguerin:
Afterward, we had a philosophical debate about this. I was surprised to find disagreement between the other two team members. One was configured like me (inflator hose inside bungee) ... the other like Jeff (inflator hose outside bungee). Thoughts ?

I put the hose inside the inner-tube on the corrugated hose, but outside the bungee.

But what do I know - I'm about to have my Fundies book confiscated.

---
Ken

JeffG:
I had too. It was getting too silly.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...I put the inflator hose outside the bungie......I'mmmmmmmm going to diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

LOL

... and the truth why Jeff is banned is finally revealed!

And you told me it was because you dissed scientologists by comparing them to DIR'ers :eyebrow:

jeckyll:
... and the truth why Jeff is banned is finally revealed!

Not only that but in a recent thread they used his photo as the definition of a stroke. :rofl3:

I´d take that as a compliment...getting banned from the DIR-forum while having GUE-certs can´t be easy...I´m sure it takes a special kind of talent...

ams511:
Not only that but in a recent thread they used his photo as the definition of a stroke. :rofl3:

That's just uncalled for...

Mo2vation:
I put the hose inside the inner-tube on the corrugated hose, but outside the bungee.

But what do I know - I'm about to have my Fundies book confiscated.

---
Ken
Hose should be inside the bungee and connected to the inflator. You need to be able pull out the Inflator/LP Hose/Corrugated Hose from the retaining bungee as a unit in order to perform the Toxing Diver Drill. LP inflator hose connected outside the bungee and you've effectively locked the whole Inflator Unit in to your shoulder strap (i.e. you would have to disconnect the LP hose from the inflator, or cut-away the retaining bungee with knife/shears to free-up the whole Inflator Head & Hose).

My Wreck Instructor suggests that the retaining bungee loop around the inflator corrugated hose should be free to slide up & down the shoulder-strap above the Left Chest D-ring (but snug enough to not slip past the Inflator Head) --and not be held in place by the triglide fastener that secures that Left D-ring. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom