DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a hog/DIR rig for all my rec diving, but when diving for work I've ditched it in favor of a simpler approach that doesn't get in the way as easily.

Kidspot,

Can you elaborate? How does the Hog get in the way, just curious.

After fundies, I got my tech training from an IANTD instructor (he moved to my town and needed a buddy), so we sometimes don't dive standard mixes. Except for that, he dives pretty much DIR.

On vacation, I've been known to dive solo.

I also have 2 loops on my light.

I haven't switch the junk in my pockets yet, but I do the valve drill the new way.

I have a brass double ender connecting my spare mask to my pocket bungee.

Heck, I'm a million miles away from DIR.

Gilless:
so what does any of this have to do with hog diving????

:popcorn:

I didn't want to post in the DIR forum because only DIR answers are allowed there (an obvious problem for the topic at hand). The hog forum seemed like the logical next stop.

*Floater*:
I didn't want to post in the DIR forum because only DIR answers are allowed there (an obvious problem for the topic at hand). The hog forum seemed like the logical next stop.

rotflmao - I was kidding - just couldn't resist - and for the very reason you posted here......

it was just to easy...

its been a very good thread to read as well:)

Cheers

steve

mthirsc:
Kidspot:
I dive a hog/DIR rig for all my rec diving, but when diving for work I've ditched it in favor of a simpler approach that doesn't get in the way as easily.
Can you elaborate? How does the Hog get in the way, just curious.
He doesn't bother with extraneous gear like a wing and the associated inflator. I think he also ditched the octo. True minimalist diving. Why bring a wing and inflator when you don't need it?

I'll start worrying about him around the time he ditches all that garbage and just jumps in with a spare air. :banana:

He's doing short, shallow dives in a thin wetsuit while doing show-and-tell for a semisubmersible (deep draft boat with lots of windows for tourists to look at the reef).

Thanks Charlie :wink:

btw - I got rid of the wing because it was likely to get damaged by the frequent knocks against the boat and I have not missed it - bouyancy is easy to maintain while diving in a skin suit with proper weighting. The 7ft hose was unecessary since it is essentially solo diving. Same for the octo, just unecessary.

I still use my Hog harness because it is the most streamlined approach IMO for this type of work. Easy to get into and out of, but nothing to catch on while swimming in the protective "cage" around the boat (like roll bars for the boat, not for the divers).

It just all means fewer things to go wrong ...

Actually a pony sized spare air would be "almost" enough - I only use 15cf per dive...

Now once I am off work I don the long hose and all ...

Aloha, Tim

Rick Inman:
After fundies, I got my tech training from an IANTD instructor (he moved to my town and needed a buddy), so we sometimes don't dive standard mixes. Except for that, he dives pretty much DIR.

On vacation, I've been known to dive solo.

I also have 2 loops on my light.

I haven't switch the junk in my pockets yet, but I do the valve drill the new way.

I have a brass double ender connecting my spare mask to my pocket bungee.

Heck, I'm a million miles away from DIR.
I have done all the above to some extent, but I do have to laugh.

Listing 2 loops, Brass Clips, switching pockets.

If people think this is a big deal....missed the point of DIR in the first place.

JeffG:
Listing 2 loops, Brass Clips, switching pockets.

If people think this is a big deal....missed the point of DIR in the first place.
(you wern't supposed to say it outloud, spoiler)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom