DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321:
Oh I know...
a certain laywer friend of ours was going on the other night about how much nicer doubles are, even at Edmonds. But getting 100% squared away in a single is worthy too ya know :D

It seems like life starts with doubles lately...
Well, if that lawyer friend would learn how to inhale without cavitating the sides of his tank he wouldn't NEED doubles ... :D

... (and, of course, he will) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ScubaMilo:
Well I guess I'm a card carring stroke cause I put the hose outside the bungie.
I was taught by AG and shown in detail as Jeff G describes that the hose inside the bungie will disconnect from the inflator.
And as Jeff G states we also practiced Toxing diver rescues without a problem.
Convince me otherwise and I'll be glad to switch.
Until then I'm happy with the way it works now.

Milo
You guys DO realize that anything AG teaches you is not DIR ... even when it is ... :no

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When I stop to let the other divers look at something, I just move some bottles around or reach for my valves.

You wouldn't have to find ways to amuse yourself like that, if you dove somewhere where there were FISH . . . :)

TSandM:
You wouldn't have to find ways to amuse yourself like that, if you dove somewhere where there were FISH . . . :)
... or better yet ... starfish ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Mine hose liked to come off when inside or outside, despite gear checks on the boat, and on the surface, it would loosen up on decent, and then pop off when you hit the inflator. The brand is one known for past stainless inflator issues, and the hose is the one that came with it . . . I think it is an inch or so too short for my rig, and this causes strain when descending. Combined with the tendancy to be easily removable anyways, this is enough . . .

Ask Lynne, she saw it come off twice on our Nanaimo trip.

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, if that lawyer friend would learn how to inhale without cavitating the sides of his tank he wouldn't NEED doubles ... :D

... (and, of course, he will) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I resemble that remark.

I've never had my inflator hose pop off, so I don't really understand what people are doing which causes them to pop off... I've used a Halcyon Eclipse 40#, Explorer 55# and Evolve 60# and none of them had issues with pop-offs caused by having the bungee over both the corrugated hose and LP inflator.

OTOH, I don't quite understand how the toxing diver drill involves removing the corrugated hose from under the bungee. The way we were taught it the rescuing diver is on top of the toxing diver roughly horizontal and you control buoyancy through putting air into the toxing divers wing using their LP inflator and dumping air out your wing through the butt dump. Reaching the toxing diver's LP inflator was not an issue that required removing the corrugated hose from the bungee...

Oh, I've got small fixed boltsnaps on both my goodman handle and the rear nut as well.

I'm rethinking that a little bit because on the penetration we did of the cape breton recently the fixed boltsnap on the goodman handle nearly caught the cave line. The alternative, though, wouldn't be DIR either since I'd move back to two loops and a double-ender...

And as far as what is or isn't DIR for the snaps on the light, I went to the two fixed boltsnaps after taking RecTriox from Bob Sherwood who argued that it added needless futzing around to have loops there and that fixed snaps were better (I *vividly* remember this advice as well because I ignored it that night and the next day had this horrible bag shoot which involved not clipping my light off...)

But, two loops and a double ender is also (vocally) favored by at least one of the Tech 2 / Cave 2 divers here who may wind up bludgeoning me into submission eventually... I think the counterargument to Sherwood's analysis is that you should be staying ahead of what you're doing so that the stop before the switch or bag deployment you should be getting the double ender out and the light stowed so that it doesn't waste any time...

And here I thought that DIR had figured out everything about diving and I'd never have to think on my own about anything once I drank the kool-aid.... Someone clearly lied to me...

I'm not quite sure what people are talking about with the inflation hose outside or inside the bungee loop. Here's how I have mine:

loop.jpg

I don't remember whether I picked this up at DIRF or somewhere else. The idea though was that the inflator will stay in place, but the inflation hose is able to slide up and down the bungee loop when you need to manipulate it. Works for me.

NWGratefulDiver:
You guys DO realize that anything AG teaches you is not DIR ... even when it is ... :no

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It all depends on whether the class was before or after the... what's the word? divorce maybe??

Now we do straight time deco too, I'm so confused... :huh:

*Floater*:
I'm not quite sure what people are talking about with the inflation hose outside or inside the bungee loop. Here's how I have mine:

loop.jpg

I don't remember whether I picked this up at DIRF or somewhere else. The idea though was that the inflator will stay in place, but the inflation hose is able to slide up and down the bungee loop when you need to manipulate it. Works for me.
That's an outie ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom