DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevrumbo:
Hose should be inside the bungee and connected to the inflator. You need to be able pull out the Inflator/LP Hose/Corrugated Hose from the retaining bungee as a unit in order to perform the Toxing Diver Drill.

No, you don't have to pull the inflator out for a toxing diver, though I do dive with both the inflator and hose.

ScubaMilo:
I was taught by AG and shown in detail as Jeff G describes that the hose inside the bungie will disconnect from the inflator.

LOL, it disconnects inside OR outside. It all depends on which way you yank the inflator hose. AG's little trick is sleight of hand (like many of his tricks, but I digress).

Either way works. I put mine inside because that's the order that I assemble my gear. There is no benefit either way.

Soggy:
No, you don't have to pull the inflator out for a toxing diver, though I do dive with both the inflator and hose.
My contention is that you do have to pull the inflator out of the retaining bungie; why make it harder to dump on ascent with a sharp bend stricture at the bungie, versus a free & clear vertical extension of the inflator hose???

Are you guys seriously caught up on the "bungie inside or outside the loop?"

Kevrumbo:
My contention is that you do have to pull the inflator out of the retaining bungie; why make it harder to dump on ascent with a sharp bend stricture at the bungie, versus a free & clear vertical extension of the inflator hose???

Why waste time while your buddy is potentially drowning to finagle the inflator out of the bungee when, in practice, it doesn't cause a problem. His wing now controls both of your buoyancy (you are essentially laying down on him). There's a lot of gas in there, so dumping gas is not a problem. In fact I have a hard time not dumping too much.

Get on top of him, control of him, and make sure there is a regulator in his mouth, and get moving, assuming he's not still convulsing.

It's a solution to a non-existent problem.

Disclaimer: I use the word "him" in the gender neutral manner :)

SparticleBrane:
Are you guys seriously caught up on the "bungie inside or outside the loop?"

Heh, my comments were meant to be taken as "It doesn't matter. Neither way solves or creates a problem." I actually like the outtie way suggested earlier. I've got to think about it a bit, but it seems like it would put less strain on the corrugated hose, though if the hose *did* come disconnected, I can see the inflator ending up behind you.

Not that I've ever had to actually rescue a toxing buddy, but I imagine that bungie can stretch a looong way when you're stressed.

rjack321:
Not that I've ever had to actually rescue a toxing buddy, but I imagine that bungie can stretch a looong way when you're stressed.

Me either & I hope never to have to, though my buddy did a good job playing dead. Sheesh...it makes a big difference when your buddy isn't helping any. Those drysuit legs just want to go everywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom