Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Am i right to assume correctly that all true DIR and Tec divers use din valves on their tanks and 1 stages?

How much has everybody spent on their "advanced" diving gear?

I think you'll find a mix. Going to all DIN has some advantages, but yoke has it's place too.

How much have people spent on Adv. dive gear. I'd suspect some here have spent more on gear than their cars. In fact, I'd say that's a safe bet. But just because someone has a row of steel tanks, or a dozen BC's doesn't mean YOU need to.

I suspect $1500 will get you into basic SCUBA gear, and you'll easily double that, perhaps even triple that buying tech gear to start with. A set of new tanks alone can be $800-over $1000. Toss in a light at $1000, and a drysuit at $1500-$2500, and the costs start piling up.

What I actually jump in the water with on an average open circuit technical dive probably cost me $4000.

A closed circuit rebreather diver on the other hand would look at that as being very low dollar as they could easily triple that number.

I am very careful never to think about how much I have actually spent on diving equipment and training over the last 20 years. It's probably a huge sum...and that's not counting related purchases and expenses like the boat, annual slip fees, etc.

But the nice part is that you can pick up equipment one piece at a time and the sticker shock is not quite so bad.

How much folks have spent on "advanced gear" really depends on what they started out with. For those that have dove a Bp/W, and Hog gear since their O/W class, the price realy isnt THAT bad.

If you are going to go DIR start out with wise purchases... DIN Sp MK25 or Apeks DS4's are the most popular. Check this out it might help explain

http://www.bitz.fsnet.co.uk/bitzspendwisely.htm

The Bay Area has a bunch of DIR guys.. let us know if you are interested in learning more

(not a shop just a local DIR guy)

Jorbar1551:
Am i right to assume correctly that all true DIR and Tec divers use din valves on their tanks and 1 stages?

How much has everybody spent on their "advanced" diving gear?

A scooter costs almost 4 grand, custom drysuit around 3 grand. You "need" lots of scooters and one or two backup drysuits. Do the math. Plus, most people that have been around a while have a garage full of useless gear they wasted money on.

RTodd:
A scooter costs almost 4 grand, custom drysuit around 3 grand. You "need" lots of scooters and one or two backup drysuits. Do the math. Plus, most people that have been around a while have a garage full of useless gear they wasted money on.

Not to mention the training..... That stuff you can't Ebay when you hang up your fins

rtodd, you would be a good dive buddy. im guessing that if you ever dive with a person that doesnt have a scooter, you just pull another one out of your car and let him use that?

Im interested in learning a lot more about the DIR philosophy. Ive got about 50 dives, almost all in california water. Ive got the backplate and wings, just ordered the 7'hose, but still trying to look through every dir forum to try an get an idea what to go with for my next equipment upgrade.

I went diving with my cousin whos got the whole DIR philosophy down before i ever heard about it, and i asked him why he dove DIN tanks and reg's, and he jokingly said that he can go down to 4000 feet, and his reg will still work, while i wont be able to breathe out of mine. Ive got everything yoke right now, but i would like to take more classes and start diving more difficult dives.

the only thing limiting me right now from purchasing everything, and taking the classes, is of course my bank account.(plus all the other random $[-]1T i buy.

I would like to know where to put everything. Ive put my non canister light on my right shoulder with a snap, trying to find a place for my knife, and whistle.

Also, i have to buy a dive computer when i get my 90 days at the evil red empire sports chalet. I think i can get a vyper for 200 dollars.

Jorbar1551:
Im interested in learning a lot more about the DIR philosophy. Ive Ive put my non canister light on my right shoulder with a snap, trying to find a place for my knife, and whistle.

Also, i have to buy a dive computer when i get my 90 days at the evil red empire sports chalet. I think i can get a vyper for 200 dollars.

Your next dollar spent on diving should be a DIR-F class. It will save you a ton of money.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom