Difference between MB levels and Gradient Factors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Four button user interface EACH with long and short presses, e.g. EIGHT buttons. Nothing simple about that.

The Suunto had the same and was unusably complex. Switching gasses underwater was really complex, further complicated by Suunto’s broken MOD calculations.

Can you get rid of that minging blue "S" background on the analogue watch face?

It also seems very thick, as in 1/2 inch or more? Not a practical watch.

I'm looking at MY G2 at the moment, and Heart-rate is clearly functional, present, and very much there.
Under the G2s' menu selection: 9.5.Workload: HR monitor: on / off Software version: 2.0

What some of us were seeking from Scubapro was if we were to NOT use the optional heart rate monitor belt, could we get the software to NOT show the HR display box as an option? I want to point out that the G2 is the first wrist computer to actually allow the input of a particular individuals physiological parameters and use these in its Deco calculations. You can input your own individual resting heart rate and exertion heart rates, based upon your age. This is a good thing. As is the SOS mode, in case you forget to make a safety stop.

With all due respect, I do believe I will get my G2 questions / answeres from someone who actually owns one, and is familiar with its proper usage through actually using one.

And as far as some of your attempts to flame others:
I clearly indicated as far as students: "My solution is going to be to have a discussion about putting it into gauge mode. I was looking for other users of the G2 to see about issues and solutions." Never mind the fact that this discussion was hijacked and belongs in the Equipment section in the first place,.... and never mind the fact that the original posted question is hardly a "basic Scuba" question in the first place,...

Perhaps yo are thinking of some other model? Since 2018, as shown on page 15 of B. R. Wienke • T. R. O’Leary s' book, there are even more models available, quite confusing keeping track of all of these.

Best.
I stopped using the HR strap as I found it too unreliable and I got tired of struggling with it, even the new digital one. Strangely enough after a few dives with no HR strap the display stopped showing the HR -- display, so I'm happy with not seeing it.

See slide 4
Approximately:
MB L 0 = GFHi 90
1 85
2 80
3 75
4 70
5 65
6 60
It also implies that GFhi=GFlo if using MB levels.
That's very interesting. A couple of weeks ago I did a dive with two buddies at Redondo Beach. I used a G2 set to MB L2 and they used Shearwaters with 40/70 GFs. We dove to 100 ft and they had two stops: a one minute stop at 20 ft and a 5 minutes stop at 10 ft, while I had a 3 minute stop at 10 ft. That tells me that 40/70 is more conservative than MB 2, consistent with your table. All our deco cleared in the shallows. Since then I increased my MB to 3 which appears to be equivalent to 75/75.

It must be mentioned that the G2 uses a very slow and graduated ascent rate, slowing down a lot in shallower water, and also the PDIS allows for extra decompression. Those two gives the G2 some more conservatism as well.

In comparing the G2 to the Shearwaters, (and correct me if I'm wrong), the G2 provides the Gas Time Remaining even in deco mode and includes the mandatory deco stops, whereas the Shearwaters stop computing the Air Time once you get into deco.

It must be mentioned that the G2 uses a very slow and graduated ascent rate, slowing down a lot in shallower water, and also the PDIS allows for extra decompression. Those two gives the G2 some more conservatism as well.
Any source for the claim of additional conservatism? Ascending very slowly with a deco obligation makes things worse, not better, as tissues continue to on-gas. Additionally, PDIS presumably allows the controlling tissue to off-gas, but slower tissues will continue to on-gas. Granted, much will depend on the actual implementation, but it's not obvious to me whether either of these two aspects increases the overall conservatism. (Unfortunately, we don't have access to their algorithm short of actual dives.)

the Shearwaters stop computing the Air Time once you get into deco.
Correct. The Perdix-AI manual says, "GTR is not shown when decompression stops are needed, and will display “deco”."

Who is arguing? Not me. Over all, I'm not a fan of a proprietary algorithm/research or bricky DC's. But I also have no personal experience with the G2, so not participating in the argument.

I was just noting a nice feature. Even in NDL it could be informative, above the depth NDL time available should start increasing. Below it, NDL time would continue to decrease.
As a G2 user, mainly in the NDL zone, i can attest to that; it (PDIS) was very informative and (in retrospect not during the dive) very educational— I started reading into deco theory just on the account of it

Back
Top Bottom