DGX design change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone bought and used one yet?
I have one. Have used it for 6 dives. Works great. I like the size of my VDH 23 for warm diving more, but I don't like that the hole distance is "shrunken" on the VDH wing. What I mean by that is the Freedom plate I use has a fixed distance where I can use bolts to attach the wing to the backplate. The DGX wing distance is "true" and matches the backplate exactly. The VDH wing has to be stretched when wet to make it fit the bolts.

If I could choose, I would get it without the shoulder dump value. Sometimes when I add air to the wing I feel like I can hear it dumping out the shoulder. I don't think that has ever ACTUALLY happened, but knowing that it's possible always puts a little doubt in my head. The material is also thinner than the VDH, making it more flexible and lighter. It easily folds in half, and when I received the package it came that way. I'm not sure if this will impact the durability or not in the long run.

For the price, it's fantastic. It has enough lift for basically all single-tank diving, and isn't large enough to be burdensome for warm water diving. If I could only buy one wing and I wasn't looking to burn money, this is the way I'd go.

I have one. Have used it for 6 dives. Works great. I like the size of my VDH 23 for warm diving more, but I don't like that the hole distance is "shrunken" on the VDH wing. What I mean by that is the Freedom plate I use has a fixed distance where I can use bolts to attach the wing to the backplate. The DGX wing distance is "true" and matches the backplate exactly. The VDH wing has to be stretched when wet to make it fit the bolts.

If I could choose, I would get it without the shoulder dump value. Sometimes when I add air to the wing I feel like I can hear it dumping out the shoulder. I don't think that has ever ACTUALLY happened, but knowing that it's possible always puts a little doubt in my head. The material is also thinner than the VDH, making it more flexible and lighter. It easily folds in half, and when I received the package it came that way. I'm not sure if this will impact the durability or not in the long run.

For the price, it's fantastic. It has enough lift for basically all single-tank diving, and isn't large enough to be burdensome for warm water diving. If I could only buy one wing and I wasn't looking to burn money, this is the way I'd go.
If anybody else is experiencing shrinking hole spacing on any wing, the fix is to first wet the center panel and put a bolt through the top hole to hold the wing to the plate, then stick a phillips screw driver (#2 or #3) or comparable size prying implement into the bottom hole of the wing then into the plate hole. Raise the wing 3”-4” above the plate to give prying room and leverage, and apply steady pressure to stretch the wing. Once it fits bolt it up and let it dry in position.
Some wings you just have to do this.

If the roll control cushions are too small or smash out becoming not effective I have a hot tip.
Carefully unstitch the top seam of the pocket that holds the cushion and slide it out. Many times they use a 2” long piece of 1/4” fuel line. If you can fit the next size up (5/16”) into the sleeve then bonus!
To make either one of those sizes of fuel line solid so it won’t smash out here’s what you do.
Go to a specialty metals supplier that sells stainless and buy 1’ of stainless rod in whatever size needed to fit inside the fuel line. Cut the rods to the same length as the fuel line with a hack saw. You’ll need to round over one end of the rod pieces with a file, and then use dish soap to press them into the fuel line. Re-install them into the sleeves and carefully stitch them up with black nylon or polyester thread. These will stay rigid and not smash out. You even get to add a few ounces of non ditchable weight, how ‘bout that!

I bought one and used it on a couple dives so far. I swapped out the dump valve for a standard elbow and replaced the stock inflator hose (huge) to a VDH 13" one. Absolutely perfect wing for travel. As mentioned, its easier to fold than the VDH due to its thinner material so its my new travel wing and my vdh #35 is my local wing. Its also a bit narrower than my vdh and slightly less thickness when inflator. All in all, i love it so far and its price is incredible.

I have one. Mine is great. Have used it on about 25 or 30 dives. DGX swapped out the pull dump for a plain elbow for me. I like it so much more than the DSS wing it replaced. Definitely recommended.

I like it so much more than the DSS wing it replaced.

Thats great to hear. I always liked the internal bladder of DSS wings as its sized very close to the outer shell. And attributed that to effortless venting (although i've never used one). The DGX vents beautifully so far, so no complaints from me :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom