DGX design change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is interesting is the notion that an STA is needed at all when diving a BP/W with single tanks when the wing and plate have slots for cam straps. There was a time when plates and wings did not have slots cut in them and it was necessary to use an STA to attach cam straps and a singular tank but with the advent of the slots and the use of 2 cam straps there is not really need for an STA outside of adding weight. Lamar, the owner of Dive Rite, claims in a lecture he ge that is available on youtube, that he created the first STA for his wife so she could div e with single tank....he explained that he took a backplate and cut it down to just the center "v" section and flipped it over to bolt on to provide a means to use cam straps, not to hold the tank. The STA is only necessary, when using a BP and wing without slots, if one is only using a single cam strap. With 2 cam straps properly tightened there is relatively no need for an STA or "stabilizers" in a wing except as a marketing choice because other companies are selling theirs with it and the consumer tends to believe that there is a reason for this feature and perceive great value in it and will shy away from a company's product that does not have it.

I have 4 divers in my household, 3 of which use BP/W setups, 1 is a HOG and 2 are Dive Rite Voyager...wre all use 2 cam straps....neither of us using the Voyager wings have had issue .with tanks rolling or moving out of position. I have an STA sitting in the garage because it unexpectedly came with a purchase I made of some used gear...but it has never been mounted to any of our plates as it is just not necessary to use it.

YMMV
-Z
When I went to a dive rite wing on my DSS plate the tank would shift constantly until I added an STA, just sayin’, not always only for weight.

When I went to a dive rite wing on my DSS plate the tank would shift constantly until I added an STA, just sayin’, not always only for weight.
It is my impression that without some kind of stabilizer the tank makes contact only with the grommets on the wing or the two bolts securing the wing to the plate, allowing the tank to rock or shift. I have been happy with the OMS soft adapter on my HOG wing. The stabilizers built into the wing are too small to be effective

It is my impression that without some kind of stabilizer the tank makes contact only with the grommets on the wing or the two bolts securing the wing to the plate, allowing the tank to rock or shift. I have been happy with the OMS soft adapter on my HOG wing. The stabilizers built into the wing are too small to be effective

That makes sense...but all our wings are secured with a set of plastic book screws/sex bolts and we have not had any issues with the tank shifting or rolling...we have used tall and narrow 12L steels, short and stubby 12L steels, 15L steels, AL80s, and 10L ALs....with dive rite stainless steel backplates.

This is just an example of actual experience varies. I can push my "I believe" button.

Cheers,
-Z

That makes sense...but all our wings are secured with a set of plastic book screws/sex bolts and we have not had any issues with the tank shifting or rolling...we have used tall and narrow 12L steels, short and stubby 12L steels, 15L steels, AL80s, and 10L ALs....with dive rite stainless steel backplates.

This is just an example of actual experience varies. I can push my "I believe" button.

Cheers,
-Z

Do you use the cam bands bare or do you have a rubber pad between the tank and the plate?

Do you use the cam bands bare or do you have a rubber pad between the tank and the plate?

The cam straps/bands are just threaded through the slots of the plate an through the spaces between the webbing in the center of the wing. The only rubber pad is a piece threaded on the cam strap itself to help grip the tank...like the one in this pic :
upload_2019-4-11_0-47-45.jpeg

-Z

I might be over in the area tomorrow. I’ll stop by if possible and snap some pics of the new wings

Ask them about the bladder if u can. Curious how big it really is compared to the outer shell.

Yes! Pictures of a bladder next to a shell would be awesome, if you can pull it off. So to speak... LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom