Apeks WTX harness rolling tank issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think in the video the screw of the STA have to be in the BP instead, the screw head should be to the STA side, else it would possibly interfere with the tank. The same applies when you attach a twin tank: screw's head is on the tank side.

That dude has no idea what he talks about, cam bands go through slots on rigid plate
Not with the confort harness. I put the link of the user guide in a previous post.

That is one idiotic setup. In that case, your only solution is STA. Bolts will keep it rigid to backplate and no rolling.
To see what I am talking about, put tank vertically on the ground, clamp it between your legs and twist harnes. You'll see that tank is not rolling on the wing, but that whole assembly is rolling.

If you are using an aluminum plate then the cam bands absolutely need to go through the plate. Not doing so is stupid on Apeks part if that's what they are saying. The rigidity of the unit depends on the cam bands going through a solid surface.
I've built over a 100 BPW's for people over the last 10 years with comfort and single webbing harnesses. All of them passed the cam bands through the plate.
And the comfort harness is vastly inferior to a single webbing harness.

What he said!

But, as long as we are perching a single tank atop a bent channel plate designed for doubles there will be the potential for the tank to roll to one side or the other. Passing the cam bands through the slots in an effective means of combating that tendency though the real solution is a plate without the raised channel in the center

deleted

Not with the confort harness. I put the link of the user guide in a previous post.
@Jim Lapenta hit the nail on the head. Just an idea, though.... try assembling it with the plate sandwiched between the harness and the wing with the tank bands run through wing, plate, comfort harness, out the plate, out the wing. That will firmly hold the whole assembly together at the cam band, for what it's worth. I think it would be sub-optimal, but better than the options Apeks seems to recommend.

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom