Apeks WTX harness rolling tank issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

I just tried my brand new BCD (Apeks WTX confort harness + aluminium plate + D30 PSD wing) and I felt the tank rolling side to side.
As it was the first time, maybe I didn't tight enough the cam band. I will check that next time but it will be in October...

But is there anybody who has the same issue? How do you solve it?

For now, I see three solutions :
  • Tight more the cam band
  • Add screws to assemble the harness, backplate and the wing in order to add rigidity
  • Add the STA
As I will use this BCD for travel, if I can avoid to add more weight with the STA, it would be nice.

Any thought about that?

Jim

This is Xdeep ultralight STA and it weights 85 grams. I highly recommend.

Personally I never liked the unstable feeling of single tank BP/W without STA.

DCBC90A1-F996-4254-8BBB-1138CA49EC01.jpeg

@Jim Lapenta hit the nail on the head. Just an idea, though.... try assembling it with the plate sandwiched between the harness and the wing with the tank bands run through wing, plate, comfort harness, out the plate, out the wing. That will firmly hold the whole assembly together at the cam band, for what it's worth. I think it would be sub-optimal, but better than the options Apeks seems to recommend.

Respectfully,

James
I keep this solution in mind. Thx

You didn’t mention what sort of tank you were using. As nemrod already mentioned, a steel will shift side to side more than an aluminum tank. I notice this even with a regular BPW setup.

You didn’t mention what sort of tank you were using. As nemrod already mentioned, a steel will shift side to side more than an aluminum tank. I notice this even with a regular BPW setup.
It was a 12L short steel.

What unstable feeling? Apeks wings have little tabs to stabilize tank and they do work
Feeling that caused by tank tilts clockwise (or anti clockwise). On my WTX D30 PSD wing I use SS STA, “do work” is relative.

If you are using an aluminum plate then the cam bands absolutely need to go through the plate. Not doing so is stupid on Apeks part if that's what they are saying. The rigidity of the unit depends on the cam bands going through a solid surface.
I've built over a 100 BPW's for people over the last 10 years with comfort and single webbing harnesses. All of them passed the cam bands through the plate.
And the comfort harness is vastly inferior to a single webbing harness.
Yeah, butt.. If the harness itself does not go through the plate - it still is not going to be that solid of a rig, right? I hate it when the tank is flopping around side to side when I am moving around a lot.

@Jim Lapenta .....with the tank bands run through wing, plate, comfort harness, out the plate, out the wing. ....

Respectfully,

James
run through the comfort harness, the problem is, this is not a solid slot, but a piece of webbing sewn not like a slot in a backplate. Better sell on ebay this "comfort harness" and buy a piece of webbing , D rings, problem solved...

Are you using one cam band or two?

Put the plate in a pouch? What a boondoggle. Looked at the instructions link/YouTube video multiple times, because I could not believe what I was seeing.

No wonder the diver, in the linked video, has the STA cockamamie.

Of course, I could be reading the manual wrong and confused by video. But I doubt it. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom