Dgx vs dive rite cam/tank band/strap <- loose bands after wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So after many dives on Caribbean boats with my two apeks griplock quick release buckles on my DIR bpw, that always seem to come apart when moving to a new tank, I’ve decided to ditch them and get a more standard strap. I’m looking at either the DGX SS strap or dive rite SS strap.

I will be changing tank sizes on a regular basis (I routinely jump between 80s and 100s)

My concern is whether or not either one will have the issue where the tank straps loosen once wet. I have never had this problem with my apeks griplock bands, however I have heard of people complaining about this and would like to avoid it if the community knows which brands have this problem.

Any thoughts?

the dgx and DR straps should be fine if you are pre wetting during installation correctly. the resin coated oxycheq ones do seem to fair better if you don't pre wet though

They all stretch the first few/many dives.
Not my apeks griplock ones. Both oem from a black ice bcd and a different pair I bought online. Wonder if they are resin coated or have some other coating like runsogas said

My concern is whether or not either one will have the issue where the tank straps loosen once wet. I have never had this problem with my apeks griplock bands, however I have heard of people complaining about this and would like to avoid it if the community knows which brands have this problem.

Any thoughts?
Years ago, in several BC owner's manuals -- Zeagle immediately comes to mind -- were instructions to wet or even soak the band straps, prior to use . . .

They will all stretch for awhile. Once they get strecthed out, they stay that way. Best advice for new cam bands is soak them in water and leave them stretch on a tank for awhile. Tighten them up a few times. Once they take a set you are good.

My Dgx straps clamp down plenty hard, and have a rubber pad.

Dry or wet, I don't think its possible to screw them up. I left mine clamped to a tank for a week to stretch out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom