Delta Airlines and Shark Fin soup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think what most do not understand about sharks is the fact that their reproductive rates are similiar to that of humans. Most species are not sexually mature until the age of 15yrs or greater. They also have a long gestation period, some over 12 months. Some have multiple pups, some have less than 2. So on average, most sharks caught on longlines and in massive nets had yet to even reproduce once. Finning makes the number even worse since there are no standards of size or age. So in perspective, we are fishing faster than any species of shark can reproduce. Unfortunately, like many other predators, they have definitely met their match with humans and they are losing.

Truly, extinction at the hands of man is a travesity we can avoid!

Protecting my beautiful sharks!
Carolyn:sharks:

Ps. Individual fisherman and eco friendly fisheries are not to blame for what is happening in our oceans. Mass longlining, uncontrolled fish factories, poaching in protected waters, dredging ocean floors for shrimp, finning, and pollution is what is causing the demise of so many of our reefs and fish populations. We all need a wake up call and soon!

Maybe if we Americans started serving Giant Panda burgers on the return flight to Shanghai, the Chinese might start to understand?

That's the funniest thing I heard all week!!! This world is closing in and anyone in the PR industry is fully aware of culture contradictions. This was a faux pas major. Shark fin soup is nearly on par with Dolphin (porpoise) sushi. OR Panda Burgers....well said!!!!:rofl3:

Most hunters are environmentally sound. If fishermen just took what they could eat, used the entire animal, and were careful not to harm anything they didn't need, the oceans wouldn't be in nearly as much trouble. This is why I gave up seafood. I don't want to support the irresponsible behavior of fishermen. If I take part in it, I have no right to complain. And odds are if you by a tunafish sandwich from the local sub shop, the guys who caught that tuna are causing just as much ecological damage as the sharkfinners.

I respect your right to feed yourself and I believe you are doing it in a responsible manner. Probably more so than someone who hasn't become intimately involved with the sorce of his food.

Finning is a far cry from fishing. In fishing, you catch a fish to sell to people who eat it. That's not a problem (for me anyway.) Finning is different. Finning is killing a creature for a small part of it's anatomy and wasting the rest of the creature. If they caught a shark, sold the flesh, the skin and fins, then that is not a waste. But cutting a sharks fin off and letting it's live body drift helplessly, unable to swim, eat then eventurally to die, then that is travesty.

It is not different than killing an elephant or rhino simply to cut off it tusk.

Finning should be banned worldwide. It is not a culture, like whaling for Arctic zoned nations. It is simply a commodity of economic greed.

I have no beef with someone who hunts with compassion, forethought, and respect. A true hunter often, more than most others, knows how intertwined our relationship is to the animal kingdom. (Now let me get into my foxhole before the :flame: starts! /me swats at that crawling bug on his screen and runz!):D

Ok, I am not looking to start a flame war here, but I have something that I think needs to be said.

I want to qualify my remarks by stating that I used to be an avid fisherman, and also a hunter. I guess not so much a hunter though, the one time I had a pheasant lined up in my sights, I missed all 3 shots. I never miss clays, I just couldn't bring myself to kill it. And I stopped fishing for much the same reasons...

Ok, to each their own, but what brought my post on was
someone who hunts with compassion, forethought, and respect.

I am sorry, but some of those words are mutually exclusive. You can not kill something with compassion and respect unless you are ending suffering. The central nervous system of every animal that I can think of that is hunted is as developed and works the same way ours does. Shooting an animal causes it great pain before it dies, as it would were you to be shot with the same type of weapon.

Hunting and fishing are legal, and in some cases required as part of a wildlife managemant program to maintain healthy populations. If you hunt I do not think it makes you a bad person, however please do not delude yourself by thinking it is compassionate and repsectful.

I am friends with or related to many hunters, Ienjoy their company and like I said, I do not think that they are evil or bad or anything. But I have seen that look in their eyes when they talk about hunting, and i can't helpbut feel that they are gleeful at times with the idea of killing something, which is what hunting boils down to.

I never had that, and I wasn't comfortable in the role, so now I don't hunt or fish anymore.

Anyway, I am not picking on anyone here, just had to get that off my chest...:)

but shark steak is finer then the purest youngest most perfectly cooked piece of beef you have ever had the chance to dine upon.

Ronzo, check for mercury levels....the bigger the fish, the higher the mercury :11:

I am all for preventing ecosystem changes through preventing extinction of a top feeder, let's figure out a reasonable and acceptable way to bring it about. Ironically, they have been around over 1000 times longer than the oldest relative of humans, hard to believe we will outlive them here and now ... im thinking we are on our way out too though.... (not a joke)

You might be right, there.....

Finning is a far cry from fishing. In fishing, you catch a fish to sell to people who eat it. That's not a problem (for me anyway.) Finning is different. Finning is killing a creature for a small part of it's anatomy and wasting the rest of the creature. If they caught a shark, sold the flesh, the skin and fins, then that is not a waste. But cutting a sharks fin off and letting it's live body drift helplessly, unable to swim, eat then eventurally to die, then that is travesty.

It is not different than killing an elephant or rhino simply to cut off it tusk.

Finning should be banned worldwide. It is not a culture, like whaling for Arctic zoned nations. It is simply a commodity of economic greed.

I agree wholeheartedly, as long as you fish in a responsible manner. Finning is a distasteful act, but the ecological damage done by irresponsible fishing methods is just as distasteful to me. The methods may not be cruel, but they are still destroying the ecosystem. Is it any less upsetting to think of a dolphin slowly drowning in a tuna net?

Ok, I am not looking to start a flame war here, but I have something that I think needs to be said.

I want to qualify my remarks by stating that I used to be an avid fisherman, and also a hunter. I guess not so much a hunter though, the one time I had a pheasant lined up in my sights, I missed all 3 shots. I never miss clays, I just couldn't bring myself to kill it. And I stopped fishing for much the same reasons...

Ok, to each their own, but what brought my post on was

I am sorry, but some of those words are mutually exclusive. You can not kill something with compassion and respect unless you are ending suffering. The central nervous system of every animal that I can think of that is hunted is as developed and works the same way ours does. Shooting an animal causes it great pain before it dies, as it would were you to be shot with the same type of weapon.

Hunting and fishing are legal, and in some cases required as part of a wildlife managemant program to maintain healthy populations. If you hunt I do not think it makes you a bad person, however please do not delude yourself by thinking it is compassionate and repsectful.

I am friends with or related to many hunters, Ienjoy their company and like I said, I do not think that they are evil or bad or anything. But I have seen that look in their eyes when they talk about hunting, and i can't helpbut feel that they are gleeful at times with the idea of killing something, which is what hunting boils down to.

I never had that, and I wasn't comfortable in the role, so now I don't hunt or fish anymore.

Anyway, I am not picking on anyone here, just had to get that off my chest...:)

I disagree somewhat. Let me start of by saying that I am a vegetarian. I don't kill anything or even eat anything that has a nervous system, but still I believe that it is possible to hunt with respect and some degree of compassion. I have met hunters who feel great sorrow for their prey and are very greatful for the sustanance that is provided. I have also met hunters who hunt out of economic necessity. If they don't kill a dear, they will have more trouble paying their bills that winter. Many hunters will not take a shot unless they are sure the shot will kill the animal quickly and with as little suffering as possible. This exibits some compassion. They are trying to minimize the suffering that they are causing.

I'm curious, do you eat meat or fish? If so, why is it any better to have someone else do the killing for you? Cows and chickens have nervous systems too. It sounds to me like you just don't have the stomach for killing, which I respect. If hunting disturbs you as much as it seems to, maybe you should reexamine your dietary choices. If you are already a vegetarian, then I guess I just put my foot in my mouth. Please do not take this the wrong way. I am not trying to force my views on you. I don't have a problem with eating meat, and if you are comfortable with it, by all means continue to do it.

I too am very disturbed by those that take joy in killing. I have not known many hunters, and I have had the good fortune not to have came across this sort of hunter very often.

I disagree somewhat. Let me start of by saying that I am a vegetarian. I don't kill anything or even eat anything that has a nervous system, but still I believe that it is possible to hunt with respect and some degree of compassion. I have met hunters who feel great sorrow for their prey and are very greatful for the sustanance that is provided. I have also met hunters who hunt out of economic necessity. If they don't kill a dear, they will have more trouble paying their bills that winter. Many hunters will not take a shot unless they are sure the shot will kill the animal quickly and with as little suffering as possible. This exibits some compassion. They are trying to minimize the suffering that they are causing.

I'm curious, do you eat meat or fish? If so, why is it any better to have someone else do the killing for you? Cows and chickens have nervous systems too. It sounds to me like you just don't have the stomach for killing, which I respect. If hunting disturbs you as much as it seems to, maybe you should reexamine your dietary choices. If you are already a vegetarian, then I guess I just put my foot in my mouth. Please do not take this the wrong way. I am not trying to force my views on you. I don't have a problem with eating meat, and if you are comfortable with it, by all means continue to do it.

I too am very disturbed by those that take joy in killing. I have not known many hunters, and I have had the good fortune not to have came across this sort of hunter very often.

I think we are talking about different things. I agree, if you hunt mostly as a need, then you can be respectfull and compassionate. Hunting as an alternative to starvation is completely different than hunting for sport.

Sport hunters kill for pleasure, subsustence hunters kill to eat. And most hunters are sport hunters, and least where I live.

I do eat meat, but nearly as much as I used to, and I try to eat meat that was raised and butchered humanly if at all possible, example free range chicken. But I do not kill for pleasure.

If it came down to hunting and fishing to put food on my table, I would do what I had to. I am fortunate enough that I don't need to do that. I hope it stays that way, for many reasons.

I think we probably have pretty similar views on this seaducer. Hunting primarily for the thrill of killing is dispicible.

I believe that it is possible to hunt with respect and some degree of compassion. I have met hunters who feel great sorrow for their prey and are very greatful for the sustanance that is provided.

Many hunters will not take a shot unless they are sure the shot will kill the animal quickly and with as little suffering as possible. This exibits some compassion. They are trying to minimize the suffering that they are causing.
I fall into this category and I agree wholeheartedly with you. :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom