Are shark fin bans on Chinese airlines enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Save Foundation

Contributor
Reaction score
Joining the 60 worldwide shipping companies that have banned shipments of shark fins are four airlines in China; China Eastern Airlines, Shanghai Airlines, China Cargo Airlines and China United Airlines. Each year an estimated 73-100 million sharks are caught for their fins. The only major airline in China not to ban shark fin shipments is Hainan Airlines.

Read more here (#2)

Do you think this will have a significant effect on the shark fin market in China?

5911628915f0c.jpg

I will bite. The answer is "No".

Singapore is the second largest trading hub for shark fins. The ethnic Chinese poeple in Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Japan (shark fins are offered in the Chinese restaurants in Tokyo) and Indonesia still eat it. I know for a fact that millions of sharks are still slaughtered every year in Indonesia and Malaysia for fins.

Unless there is a pervasive culture change or somehow it is proven that shark fin is a carcinogen, I fear that sharks will be eaten to extinction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom