Delta Airlines and Shark Fin soup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo, it is clear that you have your opinion about this, however controversial it may be, and that you are unwilling to accept the evidence and reasonings you have been provided in this thread by others in support of their argument/s.

It appears you are looking for evidence, presumably from scientists, and yet when a scientist (Dr. Bill) does provide you with the information you draw his credentials into question. If recognized academic qualifications, historical peer recognition, and 40 years of first hand experience and dedicated study of marine ecology is not sufficient for you to consider someone an authority on a subject, then what is?

Your posts in this thread have been, as they have been in others before, at best inflammatory, goading, and disrespectful. It is therefore not surprising that your contributions have been met with scorn. If you really do wish to debate your point of view and receive respectful responses to your posts, then I suggest you start by moderating the abrasive tone of your posts. Also, if you insist on demonstrating your unwillingness to concede that other's points' of view or arguments have merit, even in the face of reasonable premises and evidence, then you are by definition a POV warrior and as per the TOS classified under the category of a Troll. You should be aware that your responses and statements put you in this category and therefore you should not be accusing others of making such ad hominem statements against you; e.g. by calling you a Troll, even though you have seen it perfectly acceptable to do so yourself.

Please, let us now either get back on topic with respectful conversation and debate in this thread, or keep quiet. So we avoid further aggravation.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

You may notice a few posts missing in this thread...

Well, Garrobo is on my ignore list now so all his posts are missing. Are any of mine?

Yes, [edit: only one that I can think of) but none that were of any importance to the thread's primary discussion. :coffee:

A couple of years back when Disney opened up its Hong Kong theme park Sharks Fin Soup was included on the wedding banquet menu. This prompted an outcry from conservation groups and eventually Disney backed down and removed Sharks Fin Soup from its wedding banquet menu altogether. It is possible for large corporations to take a stand where - especially when they percieve their international reputations to be on the line.

The Standard - Disney ditches shark's fin - Metro Section

Good point, CPE111... I was one (of many) who took part in the letter writing and petition signing for that one. It was great to see how the dive community joined forces (along with non-divers I'm sure).

How do we get shark fin soup banned altogether? There is a ban on ivory trade so lets work that route?

hlsooner: "Maybe if we Americans started serving Giant Panda burgers on the return flight to Shanghai, the Chinese might start to understand?"

i dont usually laugh aloud in front of my computer, but this is pretty amusing.
thanks

How do we get shark fin soup banned altogether? There is a ban on ivory trade so lets work that route?

I hate to see the banning of anything. I feel it doesn't really solve the problem it just moves it to the black market. Education changes attitudes and therefore the demand for the product. I feel to truly make a difference you need to change attitudes about shark finning. Only then will you reduce the demand for fins and kill the market for them. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom