Delta Airlines and Shark Fin soup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just watched a video sharkwater by Rob Stewart. He points out that shark fins do not add taste, just texture to the soup. An interesting disagreement with Ronzo but Tastes vary.

I may have been slightly misunderstood by farside ... shark fin soup is for pretentious morons. Shark steak is the finest you will eat. and the whole thing about wasting the carcass is ludicrous. Use what you kill. Do you people have a clue of how expensive chondroitin glucosamine is? You are telling me these morons can't use the bodies for another purpose? of course they can, but as I mentioned earlier we need to come up with a way to assist the sharks that works in an acceptable fashion.

I fall into this category and I agree wholeheartedly with you. :coffee:

I kill because because I truly appreciate a step through a time capsule out into the wilderness. I hunt with a bow as mentioned earlier. (i will not lie to you, I do use a compound, but if you look at the big picture, send me out with a compound and the animal will suffer less than if i were to use a recurve or long bow.)

I will sit up in a tree for hours at a time not seeing anything worth drawing an arrow on and yet I still find peace and solitude becoming accepted into the natural surroundings. I don't kill an animal every season even. But I still wonder out there and enjoy what nature is left in this "scorched area."

Same goes for fishing. If I catch nothing, I still enjoy my day. And I might be surfing with them the next. Being out there is really what is about. Challenging myself to understand what natives once practiced is an almost pure feeling. I doubt many Native Americans set up an aluminum or steel treestand and wore insulated underwear while posting ... but I feel I can still relate. "And it is good."

I am sorry for those of you who don't know and will never find out, but preparing a wild animal can truly taste beyond comparison to one of the steroided beefers and chickens and pesticided vegies you are used to.

And I don;t eat shark more than once every two weeks so I am not too concerned with the levels of mercury.

ps. i think you guys are incredible with your ability to reason. it is appreciative to discuss this with you at a level of respect that has remained constant. all of you.

any idea how easy it wouldve been to attack me? (chuckle)

I may have been slightly misunderstood by farside ... shark fin soup is for pretentious morons. Shark steak is the finest you will eat. and the whole thing about wasting the carcass is ludicrous. Use what you kill. Do you people have a clue of how expensive chondroitin glucosamine is? You are telling me these morons can't use the bodies for another purpose? of course they can, but as I mentioned earlier we need to come up with a way to assist the sharks that works in an acceptable fashion.

The biggest problem we face is that the fins net the most money, and take the least space. That is why they don't keep the bodies. While we can go after and enforce the big boys, smaller fishermen like that boat in Sharkwater will continue to exploit.

And can you blame them? Those fishermen are risking their lives to put food on their kids table and clothes on their backs. It is easy for us to sit in front of our computers and judge, but honestly, I don't hate those fishermen, I feel badly for the situation they are in.

When we solve the shark finning issue, we need to consider those folks, and find a better way from them to exist in this world.

I kill because because I truly appreciate a step through a time capsule out into the wilderness.

I totally understand that POV. I too am entralled by how it used to be.

And I don;t eat shark more than once every two weeks so I am not too concerned with the levels of mercury.

Carefull, mercury is a heavy metal and IIRC it stays with you. It is not the present dose that gets you, but the accumulation.

ps. i think you guys are incredible with your ability to reason. it is appreciative to discuss this with you at a level of respect that has remained constant. all of you.

any idea how easy it wouldve been to attack me? (chuckle)

Attacks and such are easy, but also often the realm of ignorance. Sometimes our emotions do get the better of us, but I think the most headway is made with cooler heads, as opposed to hot ones.

It is always better to try and understand someone, than throw stones at them.

who knows, that may be a big league pitcher you chucked at:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom