Deep Air - Here we go again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
dcbc is correct , deep air is relative and relative to the diver,
the diver using trimix for a 30 meter dive , is nuts fancy gimmicky stuff for nothing...
At 30 metr use nitrox , helium is faster exiting and thus is technically more dangerus and requires a more streneouse deco profile.
Only for verry experienced divers who are real technical divers not novices like the one bashing dcbc
ps:
Dcbc if your a commercial diver hats of to you ..
You realy have got balls of steel, the others dont know what they are talking about.....
:shocked2:( i am a technical diver who has tried commercial diving )

lawlz

lol i like you for some reason. I enthusiastically await reading more of your posts :D

Yes.

We are not qualified to carry his jock strap.

Yes.

We are not qualified to carry his jock strap.

its understandable, balls of steels requires a large jock strap.

It is seriously silly/stupid. The first few times I watched it, I felt sorry for the human race that they could come up with something this bad. (I feel the same about Laverne and Shirley). But then it started to grow on me. Its not for eveyone, thats for sure.

My son likes it but I don't. I tell him it's too much like my real adolescence to be funny.

This is the crux of what i find wrong with your methods. The more narced you get the harder it is to know how impaired you really are. By the time you realize that you are beyond your limits it's usually to late to preemptively thumb the dive and you are already starting down into the incident pit.

Please keep your divers safe and be honest with them. I'm out.

Is this something that you have experienced or are you parroting someone else? I've done hundreds of air dives below 175 ft and many more in the 110 to 130 range.

I think the point is that everyone needs to find where "their limit" is, so YOU DON"T EXCEED IT. I have no problem with some people setting their limit at 100 feet (even though it would be ridiculous for me).

Personally, I generally feel no effects down to around 130, at 160-170 I often will feel it, but other times I will sense no impairment at 170 ft (even though I have to constantly remind myself that the inability to sense the narcosis, is probably a symptom of it).

As the the depth exceeds 190, the narcosis is evident and I need to double check my decisions, move slow, avoid exertion if possible and remind myself that I am stupid and I should probably not try anything I haven't done hundreds of times before.

I generally don't like to exceed 200, but I've functioned quite well down to around 225 ft. Deepest air dive, was about 289 and I was very wasted ( a one-time stupid stunt). I've also, totally exerted myself and got pretty wasted at 190 feet (numb lips and tongue, perceptual narrowing, sound of breathing and bubbles screaming in your head, etc.)

Personally, with deeper air dives, I think the diver needs to learn to manage their respiration, work load and carbon dioxide levels more than worrying about being 10-15 feet deeper than normal, or if they are feeling buzzed or not. Getting totally out of breath at 190, can really get your head spinning and I find it tough to catch my breath at that depth. If I get exerted, it is pretty much time to bail. Divers need to learn that they have much less physical strength reserves to deal with problems as they get deep on air. These are the important lessons, rather than harboring an excessive fear of narcosis itself.

I remember I did a very relaxed, solo, drift dive to around 200-210 a few years ago and was not trying to kill fish. Warm water, 125 ft visibility, just an observation dive, no speargun, very unusual for me. It was just so simple and easy without trying to do any work or having the mental stress of worrying about sharks. I sensed minimal narcosis and I can remember everything about the dive (as best I can remember:) )

I've had no training in technical or deep air diving, so these are just my personal observations.

I've done hundreds of air dives below 175 ft and many more in the 110 to 130 range...

I've had no training in technical or deep air diving, so these are just my personal observations.

So I know this is a bit of a cliché point to bring up, but would you say that you were diving beyond your training? Would you say that this is not an area where training is particularly relevant? or perhaps would you say that you trained yourself rather than seeking a didactic approach?

Not criticizing, just wondering what your perspective is...

Is driving drunk manageable?

Many people pontificate that driving drunk is dangerous. I think they don't know what they are talking about. I always drive drunk and I'm fine. All there is to it is finding your personal booze limit and being extra careful when driving. I would argue that due to that successful drunk drivers are actually safer than sober drivers - they deal with far greater challenges when drunk and that makes them extra prepared for **** hitting the fan.

There are some people who claim that 1 beer is the limit. For me it's ridiculous. I drove thousand times after 1 beer and nothing happened. Limit for me is much higher. I drove back home one night with 8 beers and 2 jaeger bombs in my system and still made it fine, just bumped a fence a bit and puked on a lawn, but nothing life threatening. I don't do it anymore (fence was costly to repair), but I'm routinely driving back with 4 beers and besides occasional swerve into a service lane nothing ever happened.

When driving drunk what helps is following left contour light of a guy in front of you. Closing one eye helps as well and slapping yourself once per minute to prevent dozing off. Drivers also need to learn that their reaction time is slower and maintain bigger distance from car in front. If you happen to skid just let the wheel go and go limp - being drunk makes you screw things up, so you are better off, than trying to react - you will be late with response anyway.

These are the important lessons, rather than harboring excessive fear of drunk driving itself.

I never really drive sober, so these are my personal observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom