Deep Air - Here we go again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know this is a bit of a cliché point to bring up, but would you say that you were diving beyond your training? Would you say that this is not an area where training is particularly relevant? or perhaps would you say that you trained yourself rather than seeking a didactic approach?

Not criticizing, just wondering what your perspective is...

Well I explicitly said I was diving past my training. I figure that fact helps put things in perspective for most people. I was diving solo, with double tanks and a dry suit on NJ shipwrecks (to 130 ft) before I was old enough to get a drivers liscense, so I did some "advanced" diving well before there was much formal recereational training for it.. However, i've read a lot on the internet and in books and can use oxygen for deco, I know how to plan simple dives, generally keep my deco less than 25 minutes and have seen many dive accidents and several fatal ones. I have a reasonable perspective on the risks that I accept.

I've also seen a number of CF's when observing technical diving and technical divers, so I'm not overly impressed with some technical diving training. I've also witnessed some deep air training to 300 feet in the ocean and i was decidedly unimpressed with THAT.

I have no desire to dive doubles anymore, don't have the disposable income for helium, so I have never started down the long expensive road to pursue formal training. I'm satisfied to keep my diving above 200 feet, now and see little benefit to get a "deep air" certification for myself. That doesn't mean I don't see value in technical diving training.

narc'ed diving costs us all dive sites.

I dive the ocean from private boats, think they are going to shut down the Atlantic Ocean?
Seriously :confused::confused:

Not shut down the boats, but someone has to recover the dead bodies that result from deep air.

I still can't see why people would want to do something they know is sub optimal and unnecessarily dangerous in a sport that is for fun. Its mind blowing.

I still can't see why people would want to do something they know is sub optimal and unnecessarily dangerous in a sport that is for fun. Its mind blowing.

I feel the EXACT same way when I see recreational divers going to 80 feet without a pony bottle.

Awesome, lets make this a pony bottle thread. I'm down.

If you are diving in a team, with solid gas planning (minimum gas), why drag that along when it isn't needed? If I lose all my gas, Litehedded (more often than not) is right next to me with enough gas to get us to the surface and deco out. Why do I need another tank for that?

I dive the ocean from private boats, think they are going to shut down the Atlantic Ocean?
Seriously :confused::confused:
That's a pretty narrow view of the dive community. Caves all around north Florida are closed due to stupidity, as are inland dive sites. You might not dive sites outside of the ocean, but we do, and comments like this are pretty self centered.

Why on earth would I do a dive with someone beyond the "swim up" range who lacks the most fundamental buddy skill (donating gas)? Furthermore, why would I drag gear along to solve a technique problem? :idk:

Having been over half a mile back in a cave with pfcaj, he practices what he preaches, and I didn't see any need for a pony bottle then, and I certainly wont bring one when we do a recreational profile this weekend. If you need a buddy bottle, you're solo diving, get rid of the tag along diver at that point, because he/she is just a liability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty funny, I've driven drunk a number of times and have even done the one-eye trick, but that was over 20 yrs ago. I almost always dive solo for deep dives, while drunk driving endangers everyone, so the analogy is a little weak, but I do appreciate the humor.

Well... Would you talk about your drunk driving in that fashion to your kids?

Sometimes I feel the EXACT same way about cave divers. Don't they know that there are better places to dive that are not so dangerous? :D:D:D

Well... Would you talk about your drunk driving in that fashion to your kids?

This is fun,,..... No I wouldn't talk to them about it, I would keep the secret locked away in the internet. :cool2::cool2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom