Deep Air - Here we go again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally don't like to exceed 200, but I've functioned quite well down to around 225 ft. Deepest air dive, was about 289 and I was very wasted ( a one-time stupid stunt). I've also, totally exerted myself and got pretty wasted at 190 feet (numb lips and tongue, perceptual narrowing, sound of breathing and bubbles screaming in your head, etc.)

I've had no training in technical or deep air diving, so these are just my personal observations.

dumpsterDiver, this is intended with no disrespect, but I would like to understand a couple of things that does not make any sense to me. Once again, this is not an attack, I am only trying to understand and educate myself along the way.

My understand of diving on air to these depths have some serious issues. At 289 feet (88 meters) on 21% air, your PO2 will be 2.2. Nitrogen saturation well over 170%. These figures are based on a 2 min bottom time.

Secondly your CNS levels will be well over 150, most likely causing uncontrolled convulsions!!! How did you manage, as this is very dangerous.

At 289 feet (88 meters) on 21% air, your PO2 will be 2.2. Nitrogen saturation well over 170%. These figures are based on a 2 min bottom time

PO2 would be 2.06 not 2.2 (0.21*9.8ATA), and bottom time isn't relevant to PO2

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread locked pending mod review

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Ok Gentlemen, this has definitely been a very educational and heavily debated thread. Some of the commentaries have gone over the line though. Let's keep it civil. :wink:

Carry on!

Carolyn:shark2:
SB Moderator

it's not a deep air thread til someone trivializes the holocaust!
don't wanna act like a dive nazi but....

Pretty funny, I've driven drunk a number of times and have even done the one-eye trick, but that was over 20 yrs ago. I almost always dive solo for deep dives, while drunk driving endangers everyone, so the analogy is a little weak, but I do appreciate the humor.

it's not just you you're putting at risk. the cute lil dude in your avatar might have something to say about it as well

it's not a deep air thread til someone trivializes the holocaust!
don't wanna act like a dive nazi but....

Ok....Its Official. We are done.

Godwin's law has been invoked.

Here is a new avatar, is it more to your liking? Or do I need to use some rediculous animal firing an RPG photo so I look more knowledgable and sage?

Just for the record, I much preferred the other one.

dumpsterDiver, this is intended with no disrespect, but I would like to understand a couple of things that does not make any sense to me. Once again, this is not an attack, I am only trying to understand and educate myself along the way.

My understand of diving on air to these depths have some serious issues. At 289 feet (88 meters) on 21% air, your PO2 will be 2.2. Nitrogen saturation well over 170%. These figures are based on a 2 min bottom time.

Secondly your CNS levels will be well over 150, most likely causing uncontrolled convulsions!!! How did you manage, as this is very dangerous.

Reality and numbers don't always agree. Aeronautical engeering says bumble bees shouldn't be able to fly.

What I find farcical is that the "supposed" responsible side of this debate can only resort to retarded responses and misquoting while the "supposed" irresponsible side keeps trying to set the civil tone.

What I have gleaned so far is:

The Deep air proponents seem to be stating that:

He is safer at depth than air but,
He may not always be used (for whatever reason) so,
training to recognise the effects of narcossis may benefit the deep diver.

The Deep air deniers seem to be stating that:

He is safer at depth than air so,
always use He or,
don't bother diving and,
any training to recognise the effects of narcossis is useless because,
you should never dive deep with air.

A nice fairy tale if you want to believe it but not the way the real world works considering the END for some agencies is 100'. Perhaps when the dive nazis do take over the world they will outlaw diving below 100' on air but until then we will have to settle for an imperfect, human world.

The argument about driving drunk keeps getting bantied about but of course misses the mark completely. The point is not to learn how to drive drunk but to recognise when one is becoming impaired. Now if one side wants to debate the notion that it's stupid to learn how to monitor your responses to drinking (in order to know when you've had enough) fill your boots. I want to hear the argument that one should not drink at all - ever, because one cannot know when one has had enough, put forward by this crowd.

Does one attempt to understand their response to narcossis at all or just ignore it
That's the question for me. If one chooses to try to understand their response to narcossis what course/training should they pursue? any takers?

Also, what's with all the name calling towards commercial divers? You guys must realise that you are insulting an entire profession and not just one person and more than anything it just makes you look... well... small. Perhaps you just have your own little club and the only important thing for you is to high five each other for "the slams"?
Pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom