Deep Air - Here we go again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove back home one night with 8 beers and 2 jaeger bombs in my system and still made it fine, just bumped a fence a bit and puked on a lawn, but nothing life threatening.

Silly ass, comparing Jaeger Bombs to Deep Air diving. Jaeger bombs are standard NDL rec diving, my instructor made me buy rounds of Jaeger Bombs as part of the PADI Deep Dive to get the feeling of Nitrogen Narcosis. Said it was safe and effective dry land training for diving air.

Now if you want to train, you want The Train:

Now, what's really important lobstah, is that we teach everyone to drive drunk to begin with. Driving sober will lead you to go too fast too soon.

o my gosh, all experts , you guys should know the mod of air is 66 meters at pp of 1.6 therefore this = to 198 feet .
so a dive to 50 meters (150 feet ) on air should put you at a pp of about 1.3
this is pearfectly sdafe but as to narcoses well it effects every one differently.
the comecrcial diver wil probably be less suseptible to narcoses a she has many mor ehours under water, tech divers do not breath via hoses and controlled gasses all the time , helium is also a faster gass therefore other problems with deco stops if helium is used,,,, you dont know wht you are tyalking about stick to open water ....25 meters dont go deeper...

Well it is not just your spelling that is bad but your math also. Air reaches a PO2 of 1.6 at 218'.

Learning to drive drunk is really important, people. You never know if you'll be at a bar in some town where a cab is either really expensive or not even available. Sure, in such locations you could have dialed back the drinking, but where's the fun in that? Driving sober isn't very macho either.

Learning to drive drunk is really important, people. You never know if you'll be at a bar in some town where a cab is either really expensive or not even available. Sure, in such locations you could have dialed back the drinking, but where's the fun in that? Driving sober isn't very macho either.
I'm a commercial driver, until you've driven a semi, don't tell me about drunk driving.

That's right, you commercial guys have a real mission. Those groceries and iPods aren't going to drive themselves to market. It's pretty crucial that you know how to drive after a few rounds in order to get the job done. Thankfully, your commercial diving operation signs off on this, since of course, it'd be more expensive to wait around for you to sober up.

Us recreational drivers have nothing on you big balled commercial guys.

I'm a commercial driver, until you've driven a semi, don't tell me about drunk driving.

That's right, you commercial guys have a real mission. Those groceries and iPods aren't going to drive themselves to market. It's pretty crucial that you know how to drive after a few rounds in order to get the job done. Thankfully, your commercial diving operation signs off on this, since of course, it'd be more expensive to wait around for you to sober up.

Us recreational drivers have nothing on you big balled commercial guys.
Well, when we drive through mexico, the water isn't safe (google it if you're curious!), so you're forced to drink the beer since bottled water is too expensive. I blew a .25 BAC once, but I saved $10, so it was worth it.

When you're done with commercial driving, do you plan to start teaching recreational drivers how to determine their drunk driving envelope? Of course it's different for everyone, so we must all find our limit, before considering sober driving (which leads new drivers into all kinds of accidents).

Is driving drunk manageable?

Many people pontificate that driving drunk is dangerous. I think they don't know what they are talking about. I always drive drunk and I'm fine. All there is to it is finding your personal booze limit and being extra careful when driving. I would argue that due to that successful drunk drivers are actually safer than sober drivers - they deal with far greater challenges when drunk and that makes them extra prepared for **** hitting the fan.

There are some people who claim that 1 beer is the limit. For me it's ridiculous. I drove thousand times after 1 beer and nothing happened. Limit for me is much higher. I drove back home one night with 8 beers and 2 jaeger bombs in my system and still made it fine, just bumped a fence a bit and puked on a lawn, but nothing life threatening. I don't do it anymore (fence was costly to repair), but I'm routinely driving back with 4 beers and besides occasional swerve into a service lane nothing ever happened.

When driving drunk what helps is following left contour light of a guy in front of you. Closing one eye helps as well and slapping yourself once per minute to prevent dozing off. Drivers also need to learn that their reaction time is slower and maintain bigger distance from car in front. If you happen to skid just let the wheel go and go limp - being drunk makes you screw things up, so you are better off, than trying to react - you will be late with response anyway.

These are the important lessons, rather than harboring excessive fear of drunk driving itself.

I never really drive sober, so these are my personal observations.

Pretty funny, I've driven drunk a number of times and have even done the one-eye trick, but that was over 20 yrs ago. I almost always dive solo for deep dives, while drunk driving endangers everyone, so the analogy is a little weak, but I do appreciate the humor.

I almost always dive solo for deep dives, while drunk driving endangers everyone, so the analogy is a little weak.

Nevertheless, for someone learning from more experienced divers, there is a world of difference between "Deep air does impair my facilities but I'm not putting anyone else's life at risk" and "I'm fine diving deep air."

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom