Deep Air - Here we go again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have already started my bladder exercises in order to increase the range of the liquid going through my urethra -- this is in preparation for the upcoming contest.

Beer always works for me.

You can no more teach someone how to handle narcosis any more then you can teach someone to handle their alcohol. Just because you might have a higher tolerance for nitrogen narcosis doesn't mean that Student A does or ever will.

You can teach responsible drinking; to back away from the table before you get dangerously impaired. You can teach the same thing when it comes to narcosis.

Unfortunately like alcohol by the time you notice it you are already impaired.

Your impaired as soon as you leave the surface; it's a matter of degree. You can thumb the dive before it goes too far. Nitrogen Narcosis has real symptoms that only can debilitate the diver if he's unaware of what's happening to him and does nothing about it.

Additionally, if bad things happen and your student starts working hard in a stressful situation C02 will begin to build up becoming a narcosis multiplier and suddenly their level of narcosis at 150ft could suddenly feels like narcosis at 200ft. Not good.

As does, cold, stress and heavy work. This is part of Deep Air training that may not have been covered in-depth on previous programs.

If you make these kinds of statements to your students you are doing nothing more then instilling in them a false sense of security which can quickly place your students into dangerous situations.

I stand by my statement "Deep air isn't smart for the inexperienced, but it is manageable by those who have learned how." It can, but keep in-mind the context of the conversation.

All divers breathing air at 50' are coping with nitrogen narcosis (again we are dealing with degrees). Everyone has a personal "narcosis envelope," which changes day by day and situation to situation. If you never learn to identify this, you are right, you will be in the situation until you are intoxicated (which may be too late). By learning how narcosis may be managed (note I used the word managed not controlled), the diver can plan for a safe ascent. With experience, this narcosis envelope increases. No one however is immune to the effects. It's a matter of where you personally draw the line.

BTW, I'd love to dive up there. I've heard great things about your lakes.

Lakes are good. In Pavilion Lk you can find 11,000 year old microbialite formations.

However, I live in the Pacific Coast of Canada and ocean diving is great around here.

Your impaired as soon as you leave the surface; it's a matter of degree. You can thumb the dive before it goes too far....

This is the crux of what i find wrong with your methods. The more narced you get the harder it is to know how impaired you really are. By the time you realize that you are beyond your limits it's usually to late to preemptively thumb the dive and you are already starting down into the incident pit.

Please keep your divers safe and be honest with them. I'm out.

I'd love to dive up there. I've heard great things about your lakes.

Marc, when you're ready to practice your deep rescue skills, c'mon up and we'll hit Five Fathoms together.

I live in the Pacific Coast of Canada and ocean diving is great around here.

Man, I need to get out there, I've heard nothing but wonderful things about "The Emerald Sea."

Okay, we now return to our regularly scheduled debate...

o my gosh, all experts , you guys should know the mod of air is 66 meters at pp of 1.6 therefore this = to 198 feet .
so a dive to 50 meters (150 feet ) on air should put you at a pp of about 1.3
this is pearfectly sdafe but as to narcoses well it effects every one differently.
the comecrcial diver wil probably be less suseptible to narcoses a she has many mor ehours under water, tech divers do not breath via hoses and controlled gasses all the time , helium is also a faster gass therefore other problems with deco stops if helium is used,,,, you dont know wht you are tyalking about stick to open water ....25 meters dont go deeper...

This is the crux of what i find wrong with your methods. The more narced you get the harder it is to know how impaired you really are. By the time you realize that you are beyond your limits it's usually to late to preemptively thumb the dive and you are already starting down into the incident pit.

If you have a dive plan that includes narcosis assessment, nothing comes as a surprise. I don't want to come across the wrong way, but you could stand to learn more about deep air and narcosis management. Thanks for the conversation.

dcbc is correct , deep air is relative and relative to the diver,
the diver using trimix for a 30 meter dive , is nuts fancy gimmicky stuff for nothing...
at 30 metr use nitrox , helium is faster exiting and thus is technically more dangerus and requires a more streneouse deco profile.
only for VERRY experienced divers who are real technical divers not novices like the one bashing DCBC
PS:
DCBC if your a commercial diver hats of to you ..
you realy have got balls of steel, the others dont know what they are talking about.....
:shocked2:( i am a technical diver who has tried commercial diving )

dcbc is correct , deep air is relative and relative to the diver,
the diver using trimix for a 30 meter dive , is nuts fancy gimmicky stuff for nothing...
at 30 metr use nitrox , helium is faster exiting and thus is technically more dangerus and requires a more streneouse deco profile.
only for VERRY experienced divers who are real technical divers not novices like the one bashing DCBC
PS:
DCBC if your a commercial diver hats of to you ..
you realy have got balls of steel, the others dont know what they are talking about.....
:shocked2:( i am a technical diver who has tried commercial diving )

lol i like you for some reason. I enthusiastically await reading more of your posts :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom