Deep Air - Here we go again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy in the middle would be cooler.

Trailer-park-boys.jpg

I'll take that one... I have several times more dives below 120 than you have dives...

...Doing a training dive to say 150 ft, where all you do is go down... look at each other... and then go back up following a nice clean plan... is a kiddy dive.

So I should just shut up in the awesomeness of your presence and avoid disturbing real divers with accounts of my kiddy dives? I'll have you know, sir, that my diving knife is bigger than yours, my chest is hairier, and my gonads hang lower.

Now, seriously, why would you go and single me out personally in this post? You say you disapprove of a "macho, tough guy mentality" and yet you open your post with a personal reference to my diving history (trying to discredit me?) and how superior your diving history is and then proceed to categorize dives that I just described as "kiddy dives". If this isn't a reflection of a "macho, tough guy mentality" I do not know what is.

If you have been following this thread, my kiddy dive account was not unsolicited. I have made a conscious effort to keep a civil debate, being respectful of my counterparts, and trying to keep it as factual as possible -- avoiding subjective matters. In the course of our civil exchange of ideas with Blackwood and Sloth, the subject of actual personal experience of the "deep air" training in question came up. We've been debating the validity of this "deep air" training for 16 pgs and yet there is not a single detailed review of the training experience in question. Sloth specifically asked about it in our polite and civil exchange of opinions and I thought it would be a positive contribution to the discussion. I'm sorry if it wasn't of your liking.

Bubbles. (thats his name)

I've never watched the show, but I live about 2 miles from where it's shot. I use to see the guy with the cigarette driving an old Corvette convertible around town.

I have made a conscious effort to keep a civil debate, being respectful of my counterparts, and trying to keep it as factual as possible -- avoiding subjective matters.

Indeed you have; you've been one of the few to consistently act appropriately throughout this discussion.

I've never watched the show, but I live about 2 miles from where it's shot. I use to see the guy with the cigarette driving an old Corvette convertible around town.

It is seriously silly/stupid. The first few times I watched it, I felt sorry for the human race that they could come up with something this bad. (I feel the same about Laverne and Shirley). But then it started to grow on me. Its not for eveyone, thats for sure.

Now, seriously, why would you go and single me out personally in this post? You say you disapprove of a "macho, tough guy mentality" and yet you open your post with a personal reference to my diving history (trying to discredit me?) and how superior your diving history is and then proceed to categorize dives that I just described as "kiddy dives". If this isn't a reflection of a "macho, tough guy mentality" I do not know what is.

Don't worry too much about it. Life is way to short to worry about crap posted on internet forums.

Many times people are quoted to give context to what they are saying and is not meant to be criticism of the person quoted.

Don't worry too much about it. Life is way to short to worry about crap posted on internet forums.

Not worried, and yes, life is short indeed. That said, I have already started my bladder exercises in order to increase the range of the liquid going through my urethra -- this is in preparation for the upcoming contest.

:rofl3:

Sloth, I'd appreciate it if you didn't misquote me. ....

I did misquote and someone called me out on it all ready.

You have made claims, so show me the proof of your statements:

1. "I feel whole hearty that by belittling the risks of deep air diving he is misleading people into potentially dangerous territory."

Show me where I have belittled the risks of deep air diving? It is because of the risks that I train people the way I do, rather than ignore these risks.

2. "It's worse in my mind knowing that he is an instructor and he preaches this to students."

From your direct knowledge, what exactly do I preach to my students? You don't know me, so don't claim to know what I do or don't say to my students.

This statement is dangerous.

Deep air isn't smart for the inexperienced, but it is manageable ("can be handled") for those who have learned how.....

You can no more teach someone how to handle narcosis any more then you can teach someone to handle their alcohol. Just because you might have a higher tolerance for nitrogen narcosis doesn't mean that Student A does or ever will.

You can not make them more tolerant. At best, with repetitive dives a diver can begin to better recognize that they are experiencing narcosis. Unfortunately like alcohol by the time you notice it you are already impaired. Additionally, if bad things happen and your student starts working hard in a stressful situation C02 will begin to build up becoming a narcosis multiplier and suddenly their level of narcosis at 150ft could suddenly feels like narcosis at 200ft. Not good.

If you make these kinds of statements to your students you are doing nothing more then instilling in them a false sense of security which can quickly place your students into dangerous situations.

Drunk is drunk whether it is from high partial pressures of nitrogen and oxygen or from alcohol. Impairment is impairment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom