Deep Air - Here we go again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Something I can agree with JeffG on.

Wow! Something I can agree with JeffG on.

You also agreed with freeflow and reg settings.

There is hope for you yet. :wink:

Apparently it goes with the "look at me in commercial gear" avatar.

Here is a new avatar, is it more to your liking? Or do I need to use some rediculous animal firing an RPG photo so I look more knowledgable and sage?

Challenging a student on a simulated deco dive vs a real deco dive at depth is two different things. One I would consider almost criminal.

What is criminal in my view, is charging money to teach someone a skill-set, giving them an easy exercise, then saying here's your card. Training has to be sequential with increasing degrees of difficulty. The student should never be given any task beyond their ability, but this shouldn't equate to "easy."

Some instructors do not create an environment for the student to improvement their skills and take a "good enough" position. They give out the cards and the students go out into the real world to find that they are not prepared to cope with the realities of the diving environment.

My comments were directed at the comment "training amounts to just easy practice." I train for real situations and feel I have the responsibility to do so. There's no easy ride to certification; you have to earn it. I willing to put in whatever time is required for the student to succeed.

Or do I need to use some rediculous animal firing an RPG photo so I look more knowledgable and sage?
It helps.

What is criminal in my view, is charging money to teach someone a skill-set, giving them an easy exercise, then saying here's your card.
Training has to be sequential with increasing degrees of difficulty. The student should never be given any task beyond their ability, but this shouldn't equate to "easy."

Some instructors do not create an environment for the student to improvement their skills and take a "good enough" position. They give out the cards and the students go out into the real world to find that they are not prepared to cope with the realities of the diving environment.

My comments were directed at the comment "training amounts to just easy practice." I train for real situations and feel I have the responsibility to do so. There's no easy ride to certification; you have to earn it. I willing to put in whatever time is required for the student to succeed.

I agree with all of the above.

Here is a new avatar, is it more to your liking? Or do I need to use some rediculous animal firing an RPG photo so I look more knowledgable and sage?

You could have a picture of yourself as a 50's greeser with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth. That would inspire everyone! :cool2:

and take a "good enough" position.
Amazingly enough, we're not all perfect like a big bad commercial diver like yourself. There has to be "good enough" because no student is going to be perfect in a 3-5 day class. Now, we could argue that "good enough" standards for xyz instructor are too low, but there has to be a good enough.

You could have a picture of yourself as a 50's greeser with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth. That would inspire everyone! :cool2:

Ricky should be an inspiration for everyone.

(The avatar is Ricky from the show Trailer Park Boys)

Trailer-park-boys.jpg

(Love the line....Big Plans, Little Brains)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom