What's your hand signal for decompression?

• Pinky finger

• Hawaiian hang loose

• Either

• Deco?.. You mean Home Depot?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giovyledzep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What do you use? Pinky or Hawaiian hang loose?

I ask because the other day I went into deco and did a Hawaiian to my instructor. It took him a minute to understand I was doing deco and not trying to tell him that I was really excited (which I was actually, so... I guess 2 birds with a stone?)

It depends on your question I guess.

For me the pinky means deco. Pinky followed by a number means x minutes of deco. This would include minor / unintended deco due to staying at depth too long on a recreational dive.

The Hawaiian Hang Loose signal means gas switch (to me). This would usually be done at the start of a planned decompression stop, changing to a stronger gas mix.

It depends on your question I guess.

For me the pinky means deco. Pinky followed by a number means x minutes of deco. This would include minor / unintended deco due to staying at depth too long on a recreational dive.

The Hawaiian Hang Loose signal means gas switch (to me). This would usually be done at the start of a planned decompression stop, changing to a stronger gas mix.

I thought this was gas switch: Hawaiian is usually listed as alternative to pinky and viceversa.
I have the feeling more and more agencies are teaching pinky just because the hawaiian has gained popular acceptance as a signal for fun and excitement, while i've seen many old times tech divers use it a lot.

I don't remember learning any of those signals. My buddies and I simply point at our computer, followed by the appropriate hand signal based on what needs to happen next -- e.g. level off, ascend or wobbly hand.

At a safety stop, or other deco-required ceiling, we'll communicate remaining minutes with fingers facing sideways or placed on the opposing forearm.

I'm not sure if these are standard signals or something that just evolved within my buddy group. None of us are trained technical divers, and our dive plans typically avoid deco.

When diving with a stranger, I try to make a point of reviewing hand signals to avoid misunderstandings at depth.

In tech training the pinky is standard and will be recognized by anyone who trained with a reputable agency. In recreational circles there are likely many different signs.
But I would not expect a recreational hand sign for deco. I would not recognize the Hawaiian shaka as anything other than "cool!"

But I would not expect a recreational hand sign for deco. I would not recognize the Hawaiian shaka as anything other than "cool!"

Well, lets call it a sign for a stop then. Some rec divers indicate a safety stop by hand with spread out fingers on top of three fingers of the other hand or something like that. It means 3min at 5 meters. I’m sure there a many more signs for this stop or other stops.

To a tech trained diver a stop will always be the pinky, at the depth at which he and the team are at.

Well, lets call it a sign for a stop then. Some rec divers indicate a safety stop by hand with spread out fingers on top of three fingers of the other hand or something like that. It means 3min at 5 meters. I’m sure there a many more signs for this stop or other stops.

To a tech trained diver a stop will always be the pinky, at the depth at which he and the team are at.

A signal for deco should be covered, as it does happen. After all, rec agencies do tell people to follow their dive computers advice if they happen to go into deco and to follow the person with the most conservative computer. With the different algorithms out there, knowing what to signal, as one buddy with a less conservative computer may not understand why their buddy isn't ascending.

That said, I wish all agencies would sync up hand signals.

we teach pinkies up from day 1 for safety stops up through decompression. I've never seen the shaka used for decompression. Heard of it, but never actually seen someone use it. It should be covered any time you are diving with someone new regardless though

Another great thread to learn from. Never knew (that I recall) the signal - would it have been taught in 1998? Have seen the Hawaiian in Hawaii, but knew it was being used for something really cool. Will bring the signal up to my buddy so the next time one of our computers acts up, one of us is not looking down at the other wondering why they're not coming up or why one of us is stretching out a 3 minute safety stop!

Back
Top Bottom