Dangerous psychology- Diving beyond one's training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's difficult to explain to someone who lacks experience what that phrase really means ... but it is by no means intended to be condescending. There is a huge difference between knowing something and understanding what it means and how it applies to the dive you're planning to do. Knowledge can be gained through research ... but understanding comes from the practical application of that knowledge. My former mentor would tell me "you need to rethink your approach to that dive" ... which had nothing to do with my knowledge, but rather with how I chose to apply that knowledge in the planning and execution of my dives.

This is not about technical diving, actually ... but about applying yourself to an environment that you're unfamiliar with. As your dives get more aggressive, the consequences of error due to ignorance ... or not really comprehending how to apply your knowledge to specific situations ... become more serious. No, it's not rocket science ... but it's a bit more complex than basic physics and simple math. Physics and math can teach you how to manage the dive when things go right. But they cannot teach you how to deal with the dive when things go wrong ... because they do nothing to help you train your body and brain how to react to stress. Stress management becomes critical when your dives go beyond simple, supervised, reef dives.

I would not say that newbs have nothing to contribute ... I would say, however, that it's not uncommon for most of us to assume we know more than we really do ... or think that we have more skill than we really possess. That's human nature, and applies to most of the things we do. In scuba diving, those assumptions can get you in real big trouble. At 50 dives, most divers are just beginning to comprehend just how inadequate their assumptions are ... regardless of how well-read they might be.

Scuba diving is way more than basic physics and simple math ... there's just too many variables involved for it to be that easy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I will admit that this may be my inexperience (and lack of technical education) talking but I see your first example of "you may want to rethink how you plan to do that dive" as "Yeah you could do it that way but maybe there's a more efficient/more practical/simpler/whatever way." I wouldn't take that statement to mean "that's a bad idea that you shouldn't embark upon". I don't see that as a failure of understanding, but a failure of practical knowledge and application that allows the same thing to be accomplished in a more "elegant" way. That to me isn't a safety concern but rather an aesthetic one... but I may not be fully comprehending what your instructor meant.

Application and theory, as you said, are often very very different. Getting a light-bulb moment is pivotal in most people's acceleration within a certain field and I grant that diving, like everything else, must be replete with these moments. I just don't happen to believe "You're going to die" is a way of making people understand that. Even with training, those moments don't happen just because (or when) you want them to and if you understand the theory after a class, the rest is the application, which is what diving is with or without an instructor. I just don't see much difference in learning the theory from someone else as being that much different from ingesting it on your own.

As for stress, you've exactly made my point. People who say "you don't know what you don't know" assume an awful lot of information about someone's non-scuba experience levels that just can't be assumed. I've said it before and I'll continue to believe (and probably say) it; stress management for scuba diving doesn't have to be learned by scuba diving. Stress management is very applicable across a lot of disciplines, if my experience is anything to speak from, which I am inclined to believe. It is, after all my experience (and my bias). Once learned it doesn't go away. Yes, it needs to be adapted, perhaps, from discipline to discipline, but that really only takes minor adjustments.

I agree, scuba diving is more than simple physics and basic math. That's not what I said, though. I said the theoretical education of planning dives and the information required to do that planning is basic physics and simple math. Literally, children can do it. Technical diving, while taking more effort to plan carefully, as far as I can tell, still doesn't require any further advanced math than figuring out mixes (which may be less trivial than I realize but I assume it's not significantly more complicated than figuring nitrox MODs) and deco times. I suspect making choices like which specific gasses to use and when is where the real art of technical diving comes and that most definitely is where experience takes on a major role. Kind of like using 2 different blends of Nitrox for a given depth and a time within NDLs for either mix. Why choose 32 when 30 will do? I don't know, but I suspect as I get more Nitrox experience I'll start to develop my own beliefs and reasons for selecting a given mix other than strictly following MOD and "house blend". I believe that is more in line with what your instructor example might have been hinting at, but as I said, I'm willing to concede that may be my bias and inexperience speaking.

I like Thalassamania's "cone" description in the post following yours that I've seen him post a couple times. I think it's a very good way of describing the issue to people like me who often play Devil's Advocate (though not what I'm doing here) in this discussion as well as people who truly don't get why they shouldn't do a particular dive. (While I talk about the fact that I believe "formal courses" are often unnecessary I wouldn't even come close to making the kind of dives we're discussing.) It makes the concept of pushing your limits to the extreme very intuitive and gives a good solid concept that is applicable at whatever depth for understanding the level of added risk you're taking on during a dive.

The blanket statements about diver capability at a given level of formal training are humorous.

Who wants to argue that the following statement is false? All else being equal, some newly certified divers would be more at risk executing their first "unsupervised" dive to 60' than other newly certified divers would be executing their first "unsupervised" dive to 130'. The training standards for generic non-technical certifications (certain exceptions come to mind) are loose enough to allow both naturally comfortable and naturally panicky divers to pass through, with most people occupying a tempermental range somewhere in the middle.

Looking to Thal's cone analogy, the former group will have a greater (though never unlimited) comfort zone within which to work as they gain experience, making informal training a relatively safer means of gaining experience in new environments. Of course, everyone thinks they're special, and someone on SB has a great signature line from Gentile that reads "Many people [in diving] do not recognize their limitations, and when they do, they are about to die."

Application and theory, as you said, are often very very different. Getting a light-bulb moment is pivotal in most people's acceleration within a certain field and I grant that diving, like everything else, must be replete with these moments. I just don't happen to believe "You're going to die" is a way of making people understand that. Even with training, those moments don't happen just because (or when) you want them to and if you understand the theory after a class, the rest is the application, which is what diving is with or without an instructor. I just don't see much difference in learning the theory from someone else as being that much different from ingesting it on your own.

The difference is that some "learning expereinces" are fatal, while others are just interesting.

If you want to go night diving without a "night diving" specialty, you're probably going to be just fine. It's just like diving during the day, but it's dark and harder to see things. Maybe you don't come up in your intended location, but you'll probably be just fine.

The problems happen when the hazards aren't obvious but are dangerous.

"Accidental Decompression Diving" is a great example. You stay too deep for too long and on the way back up you notice that your computer says you that you have a mandatory 20 minute decompression stop. Which wouldn't be a problem except that you only have 5 minutes of air left, and your buddy has about the same.

While OW classes may touch on "overhead environments" most OW divers simply never understand that once you have a significant decompression obligation or are in an overhead, nearly all the OW emergency procedures become useless or dangerous.

A good instructor will discuss things like these and more. People died for this information. It might be good to learn before you need to know it.

Most of the Open Water "specialties" can be learned on your own without any significant risk, however there are skills that are much safer to obtain by training with someone who already knows what they're doing.

flots.

I
As for stress, you've exactly made my point. People who say "you don't know what you don't know" assume an awful lot of information about someone's non-scuba experience levels that just can't be assumed. I've said it before and I'll continue to believe (and probably say) it; stress management for scuba diving doesn't have to be learned by scuba diving. Stress management is very applicable across a lot of disciplines, if my experience is anything to speak from, which I am inclined to believe. It is, after all my experience (and my bias). Once learned it doesn't go away. Yes, it needs to be adapted, perhaps, from discipline to discipline, but that really only takes minor adjustments. .

I don't have any real "stress training" experience, but I tend to disagree with your contention that "resistance to stress" in a certain situation will be applicable to diving. I feel that the feeling of being underwater and when someone, for example, sucks up some water up their nose or down their windpipe and they start choking etc.... this is just a very different type of stress than many other activities and sports. If the person's stress training was not associated with the inability to breath, hear and see .. I think that it may not have a high degree of relevance. I have seen some incredibly, big powerful athletes freak the F out and seen skinny little girls, do much better.. LOL

Of course, calmer, cool headed people are probably going to make better divers... but being underwater is different.

I agree with fjpatrum on the stress issue. If you have learned to cope with stress, I really think you are better prepared to cope with other kinds of acute stress. When I choked on water in my OW certification dives, what kept me underwater was the discipline I had learned to deal with other frightening situations. But that wouldn't have been enough, had I not ALSO had some experience with poorly executed mask clears, so that the sensation was somewhat familiar, and that's what training does for you . . . I'm stress-resistant to a degree, but I would not want to encounter broken line in a siltout without having practiced the drills ahead of time.

I think the vast majority of the intellectual part of diving is easily learned by an intelligent and motivated person, without instruction. In fact, I think that someone who is willing to do some digging and invest some money in books can end up far more educated than most of their recreational OR technical instructors.

I think there is absolutely NO substitute for good in-water instruction in high-risk diving. I think you need some introduction to the kind of trouble you can get into, and you need to come face to face with your own limits in order to be safely humble as you embark on high-risk diving. I think you're far better off having those situations engineered by a good instructor who also knows how to minimize the likelihood of actual injury or death as a result of them, than you are learning the hard way. Even with training, you are going to get some painful lessons taught by the the environment and the dives -- but you are more likely to survive them intact, if you've had some simulations ahead of time.

I am profoundly grateful for the expertise, patience, and assumption of risk that my technical/cave instructors offered me. No way would I do what I do today without them.

"Many people [in diving] do not recognize their limitations, and when they do, they are about to die."

Truer than you think.

---------- Post added November 28th, 2012 at 04:50 AM ----------

I think there is absolutely NO substitute for good in-water instruction in high-risk diving. I think you need some introduction to the kind of trouble you can get into, and you need to come face to face with your own limits in order to be safely humble as you embark on high-risk diving. I think you're far better off having those situations engineered by a good instructor who also knows how to minimize the likelihood of actual injury or death as a result of them, than you are learning the hard way. Even with training, you are going to get some painful lessons taught by the the environment and the dives -- but you are more likely to survive them intact, if you've had some simulations ahead of time.

I am profoundly grateful for the expertise, patience, and assumption of risk that my technical/cave instructors offered me. No way would I do what I do today without them.
Your statement reminds me of one of my cave training dives I did in Ginnie Springs (a high flow cave). My buddy & I had to do a Lights out (blindfolded) air sharing drill. I was the out of air diver. My buddy & I were blindfolded & I had to find him (we were both on line) & communicate with him that I was out of air. We Got ourselves situated,.... sort of. The long hose I was on was tangled on something, but I could not figure out where. It made me turn my head severely to the right to keep from losing the regulator, all the while Ginnie's flow was pushing us out (we were not far from the Lips). Before I could figure out what my regulator hose was caught on, I collided, face first with a rock, which partially dislodged my mask, flooding it & sending water up my nose, because of the angle of my head. At that point the stress was almost more than I could handle,.... I came VERY close to calling the dive. If I had, that would have been the end of that class & I would have had to go home. About that time, my buddy felt me struggling & found the hose hung up & let it loose, allowing me to straighten my head, fix my mask & clear it. RELIEF! Later I talked with my instructor about how close I came to calling the dive. He basically summed it up in a way I'll not ever forget. In the real situation, there is no "calling the dive" & no going back to one's own air supply (as it is empty). It must be dealt with right then & there. That was probably one of the scariest & stressful situations I've ever been in, but it was also one of the greatest lessons of where my stress tolerances are. All along my instructor was right there,..... ready to end the exercise, if things became too dangerous, yet letting the situation play itself out,.... it's something that can happen in real life. It is the Oh #$*@ moments during training that let a student participate in what can happen in real life in a controlled manner. That can not be read in a book,... it needs to be experienced & the skills to handle it practiced.

Last edited:
I will admit that this may be my inexperience (and lack of technical education) talking but I see your first example of "you may want to rethink how you plan to do that dive" as "Yeah you could do it that way but maybe there's a more efficient/more practical/simpler/whatever way." I wouldn't take that statement to mean "that's a bad idea that you shouldn't embark upon". I don't see that as a failure of understanding, but a failure of practical knowledge and application that allows the same thing to be accomplished in a more "elegant" way. That to me isn't a safety concern but rather an aesthetic one... but I may not be fully comprehending what your instructor meant.
... and that's a good example of what "you don't know what you don't know" means ... your interpretation is technically accurate, and practically meaningless. First off, my mentor was not an instructor ... he was a very experienced diver, one who used to post a great deal on ScubaBoard about the importance of thinking through your dive before you do it. What he was trying to tell me was that there were aspects to doing the dive safely that I wasn't considering... and that while I could do the dive as I was doing, a wrong set of circumstances could lead to serious consequences because I wasn't either mentally or physically prepared to deal with them. There were things about the dive I had not considered because they were beyond my experience, and not taught in class. And some things that were taught in class were being misapplied, because I had not really thought through WHY those things were taught.

Diving isn't so much about a right and wrong way ... or "elegance" as you put it ... as it is about making decisions based upon a knowledge of your limitations and how they apply to a given circumstance. Every dive is different, and when something goes wrong you need to be mentally, as well as physically, prepared to deal with it ... because the decisions you make are at least as important as the skills you possess.

An example, if I may, would be the young woman who followed her father into a cave recently and got lost in a siltout. She was skilled enough to maintain her cool and find an air pocket, and smart enough to remain there waiting for help. But while waiting she kept her fins moving ... because it never occurred to her that in the process she was making it impossible for the silt to clear so someone could find her. Except for an extaordinary effort on the part of her rescuer, she was effectively killing herself and didn't even realize it.

Most people, in moments of stress, don't think clearly ... they don't "stop, think, and act" ... they react. This is human nature ... and the true physiology of diving ... because it's often when the decisions are made that ultimately lead to a bad outcome. People decide to bolt for the surface because of a chronically leaking mask, even though they know perfectly well how to clear a mask ... or any number of common problems with solutions that they were initially trained to deal with ... because in a moment of stress they fall back on instincts that were never designed to keep them safe underwater. Or they make decisions prior to the dive that place them in situations they hadn't thought about or prepared for beforehand. Why? ... because they didn't know enough to think about them.

As for stress, you've exactly made my point. People who say "you don't know what you don't know" assume an awful lot of information about someone's non-scuba experience levels that just can't be assumed. I've said it before and I'll continue to believe (and probably say) it; stress management for scuba diving doesn't have to be learned by scuba diving. Stress management is very applicable across a lot of disciplines, if my experience is anything to speak from, which I am inclined to believe. It is, after all my experience (and my bias). Once learned it doesn't go away. Yes, it needs to be adapted, perhaps, from discipline to discipline, but that really only takes minor adjustments.
Stress management won't do you much good if you don't know enough to comprehend the appropriate response to a stressful situation. It can often lead to decisions that are completely inappropriate ... although seemingly logical ... to the circumstance. This is why, in reading many of the threads in the A&I forum, we read something and wonder why the person didn't respond in a way we would have ... usually it's because it never occurred to them that they should. There's a big difference between reading about a stressful situation and living it. I think you're underestimating the degree of adaptation needed to apply stress management techniques learned above water to a diving situation ... because ultimately it falls back on either relying on instinct or learned responses. And if you haven't taken the time to learn the appropriate responses, the instinct will cause you to react in ways that may work well in atmosphere, but are very dangerous underwater.

I agree, scuba diving is more than simple physics and basic math. That's not what I said, though. I said the theoretical education of planning dives and the information required to do that planning is basic physics and simple math. Literally, children can do it. Technical diving, while taking more effort to plan carefully, as far as I can tell, still doesn't require any further advanced math than figuring out mixes (which may be less trivial than I realize but I assume it's not significantly more complicated than figuring nitrox MODs) and deco times. I suspect making choices like which specific gasses to use and when is where the real art of technical diving comes and that most definitely is where experience takes on a major role. Kind of like using 2 different blends of Nitrox for a given depth and a time within NDLs for either mix. Why choose 32 when 30 will do? I don't know, but I suspect as I get more Nitrox experience I'll start to develop my own beliefs and reasons for selecting a given mix other than strictly following MOD and "house blend". I believe that is more in line with what your instructor example might have been hinting at, but as I said, I'm willing to concede that may be my bias and inexperience speaking.
That's an amazingly simplistic analysis that is so wrong I don't even have time to explain it to you (I have to leave in a few moments) ... let me just ask you to put that paragraph somewhere you can come back and refer to when you gain some more experience, and you can decide for yourself how accurate it is. Or perhaps I'll have time later to get back to this and explain it in more detail.

I like Thalassamania's "cone" description in the post following yours that I've seen him post a couple times. I think it's a very good way of describing the issue to people like me who often play Devil's Advocate (though not what I'm doing here) in this discussion as well as people who truly don't get why they shouldn't do a particular dive. (While I talk about the fact that I believe "formal courses" are often unnecessary I wouldn't even come close to making the kind of dives we're discussing.) It makes the concept of pushing your limits to the extreme very intuitive and gives a good solid concept that is applicable at whatever depth for understanding the level of added risk you're taking on during a dive.
Thal is the consummate educator, and I usually find his descriptions very cogent and applicable. But the fact is that most of us are very good at overestimating our skills ... and as a result, tend to push our "comfort zone" well beyond the cone without any meaningful internal feedback to tell us that we're well into the trouble zone.

That said, I agree with you that "formal courses" are not always the best answer. There are many skills and diving styles that I've acquired without the aid of formal training. I never push con-ed classes on my students ... preferring instead to encourage them to get out and dive, and contact me when they feel that they want to take their diving to the next level. Better yet, let's just go diving. Sometimes the most important lessons you'll learn ... and the most useful skills you'll acquire ... are gained simply through experiencing a given circumstance in the company of a more experienced diver, and following their lead in resolving it. Formal training classes are artificial environments, and usually won't put you in those circumstances ... and it is often the case that the most useful classroom is out there with your dive buddy. The key is maintaining a reasonable understanding of where your limits are, and not pushing yourself into dive plans that exceed them beyond your ability to deal with the unexpected.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I will agree with what you are saying,... as it is a progression. Whatthis thread was originally discussing, is divers going many degrees out of the realm of their current levels to do dives IMO they are nowhere near experienced enough to do.

Do to the multitude of classes available, arbitrary limits, you don’t know what you don't know, don't dive beyond your training, and take more training has replaced the instruction on how to expand your limits and skills safely over time when not in the company of an instructor. An OW diver has a suggested limit of 60', by virtue of the card issued. Since there are no requirements to take AOW, the new AOW diver can now have a limit of 100’ with one dive to 60' (during AOW deep) and quite possibly no dives to 100'. There could be a case made that this cavalier attitude towards dive training could be the source of the issue.

The other side of the coin, I know that it is impossible to stop a real knucklehead bent on self-destruction, seen it happen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The key is maintaining a reasonable understanding of where your limits are, and not pushing yourself into dive plans that exceed them beyond your ability to deal with the unexpected.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Now that is how you dive beyond your training. At one time, that little gem was shared with new divers instead of a "suggested depth limit" (was none) and the paperwork for starting the next class. The supporting information I recieved was not as elegant as Thal's, he has been working on that for a while, but had enough impact to slow me down long enough to make the right decisions.

I don't know if it would work now, restraint and patience do not seem to be as valued as the once were.

I dove for years without "formal" training, but relied on research, senior divers, and pushing my limits in a controlled maner. Yes I did have some close calls, but it was not because I bounce dived to 200' without a workup or decide that I was magicly a cave explorer, and obviously I had a better than avrage chance and plan of survival.

Bob
----------------------------------
"the future is uncertain and the end is always near"
Jim Morrison

A man's got to know his limitations.
Harry Callahan

DrBill,
If I understand you correctly, you didn't feel much narcosis at 200ft. But now you get "narced out of your gourd" at 60ft - 130ft (rec OW limit - rec advanced limit) ?
What changed? Does age play a part in narcosis? Does cumulative life time dives play a part?
My scientific (and safety) mind begs the question.

... and that's a good example of what "you don't know what you don't know" means ... your interpretation is technically accurate, and practically meaningless. First off, my mentor was not an instructor ... he was a very experienced diver, one who used to post a great deal on ScubaBoard about the importance of thinking through your dive before you do it. What he was trying to tell me was that there were aspects to doing the dive safely that I wasn't considering... and that while I could do the dive as I was doing, a wrong set of circumstances could lead to serious consequences because I wasn't either mentally or physically prepared to deal with them. There were things about the dive I had not considered because they were beyond my experience, and not taught in class. And some things that were taught in class were being misapplied, because I had not really thought through WHY those things were taught.

Diving isn't so much about a right and wrong way ... or "elegance" as you put it ... as it is about making decisions based upon a knowledge of your limitations and how they apply to a given circumstance. Every dive is different, and when something goes wrong you need to be mentally, as well as physically, prepared to deal with it ... because the decisions you make are at least as important as the skills you possess.

An example, if I may, would be the young woman who followed her father into a cave recently and got lost in a siltout. She was skilled enough to maintain her cool and find an air pocket, and smart enough to remain there waiting for help. But while waiting she kept her fins moving ... because it never occurred to her that in the process she was making it impossible for the silt to clear so someone could find her. Except for an extaordinary effort on the part of her rescuer, she was effectively killing herself and didn't even realize it.

Most people, in moments of stress, don't think clearly ... they don't "stop, think, and act" ... they react. This is human nature ... and the true physiology of diving ... because it's often when the decisions are made that ultimately lead to a bad outcome. People decide to bolt for the surface because of a chronically leaking mask, even though they know perfectly well how to clear a mask ... or any number of common problems with solutions that they were initially trained to deal with ... because in a moment of stress they fall back on instincts that were never designed to keep them safe underwater. Or they make decisions prior to the dive that place them in situations they hadn't thought about or prepared for beforehand. Why? ... because they didn't know enough to think about them.

Stress management won't do you much good if you don't know enough to comprehend the appropriate response to a stressful situation. It can often lead to decisions that are completely inappropriate ... although seemingly logical ... to the circumstance. This is why, in reading many of the threads in the A&I forum, we read something and wonder why the person didn't respond in a way we would have ... usually it's because it never occurred to them that they should. There's a big difference between reading about a stressful situation and living it. I think you're underestimating the degree of adaptation needed to apply stress management techniques learned above water to a diving situation ... because ultimately it falls back on either relying on instinct or learned responses. And if you haven't taken the time to learn the appropriate responses, the instinct will cause you to react in ways that may work well in atmosphere, but are very dangerous underwater.

That's an amazingly simplistic analysis that is so wrong I don't even have time to explain it to you (I have to leave in a few moments) ... let me just ask you to put that paragraph somewhere you can come back and refer to when you gain some more experience, and you can decide for yourself how accurate it is. Or perhaps I'll have time later to get back to this and explain it in more detail.

Thal is the consummate educator, and I usually find his descriptions very cogent and applicable. But the fact is that most of us are very good at overestimating our skills ... and as a result, tend to push our "comfort zone" well beyond the cone without any meaningful internal feedback to tell us that we're well into the trouble zone.

That said, I agree with you that "formal courses" are not always the best answer. There are many skills and diving styles that I've acquired without the aid of formal training. I never push con-ed classes on my students ... preferring instead to encourage them to get out and dive, and contact me when they feel that they want to take their diving to the next level. Better yet, let's just go diving. Sometimes the most important lessons you'll learn ... and the most useful skills you'll acquire ... are gained simply through experiencing a given circumstance in the company of a more experienced diver, and following their lead in resolving it. Formal training classes are artificial environments, and usually won't put you in those circumstances ... and it is often the case that the most useful classroom is out there with your dive buddy. The key is maintaining a reasonable understanding of where your limits are, and not pushing yourself into dive plans that exceed them beyond your ability to deal with the unexpected.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Essentially summed up in Sheck Exley's quotation, "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom