Dangerous Hurricane Dean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattboy:
Quick, somebody start yelling at Dandy Don for chickening out on his vacation now that it looks like the hurricane will miss Cozumel. (fingers crossed):wink:
alohagal:
Mattboy...Dandy Don already got yelled at on another thread!!
Like that would make a difference? :lol2:

Also doesn't matter if I am right or wrong, lucky or not, wearing a hat or bareheaded, etc. It just happens.

I'm home now. I guess I'll get it for that, too...

I think some of you, including Don missed the point we were trying to make. Of course people get stuck here in these kinds of situations...it happens and it cannot be avoided. I've taken people into my house the last two hurricanes, including two complete strangers because they had nowhere else to go.

The probelm I have are with the people that have the "it'll be an adventure" attitude and/or the people that when faced with this situation, don't have the compassion or common sense to give the islanders the time and space needed to prepare for a dangerous storm like this. Yes, we know you are on vacation and paid alot of money to be here and only have a certain amount of time off of work...but if we don't prepare...there won't be anything to come back to.

I am glad, as I said that Don's group realized the severity of the situation and decided to leave. There wouldn't have been any diving for them anyway. Of course now it looks like we're going to be ok...but still a little too early to do the happy dance :)

As I said in another post somewhere. The best case scenario is that we miss several days of diving...the worst case isn't worth discussing.

Peace everyone!

I still wish the best for the nice people on Coz and the not so nice, as well as Jamaica, Puerto Rico, etc. and I do sympathize with their hardship when a storm causes damages. I find it unfair to blame the gringo as an imposition for being in the resorts when these happen, tho - as they invite us all the time - "come, bring money, spend it here."

So am I supposed to feel sorry for the workers there because they work there? Because they were born in that nationality? Or because they left the US and started businesses there? :shakehead: I don't think so.

Hell, if this storm mostly misses Coz and the operators are back in business in a few days, the new heros will be the ones who stayed to patronize them and give their workers income. I can see it now, I'm gonna catch hell for leaving... :11:

DandyDon:
I still wish the best for the nice people on Coz and the not so nice, as well as Jamaica, Puerto Rico, etc. and I do sympathize with their hardship when a storm causes damages. I find it unfair to blame the gringo as an imposition for being in the resorts when these happen, tho - as they invite us all the time - "come, bring money, spend it here."

So am I supposed to feel sorry for the workers there because they work there? Because they were born in that nationality? Or because they left the US and started businesses there? :shakehead: I don't think so.

Hell, if this storm mostly misses Coz and the operators are back in business in a few days, the new heros will be the ones who stayed to patronize them and give their workers income. I can see it now, I'm gonna catch hell for leaving... :11:

It wasn't necessary to repeat this post. I saw it and you've still missed my point...even after I clarified it above. I didn't "blame the gringo" for anything.

I simply stated (and now I'll be very specific) there are SOME people who stay or still come for the wrong reasons...because they think it will be a "new adventure"...and THOSE are the people myself and other locals take issue with...not the people that are already here and get stuck here!

And No Don...no one is going to be a hero because they stayed! As I said, regardless of how hard we get hit...we have to put everythingback together and get all the boats back in the water...which be another couple of days before anyone is diving again. You DID the right thing and I'm truly sorry your vacation got messed up...but you're safe and you're one less guest that has to be cared for during and after the storm.

mattboy:
Quick, somebody start yelling at Dandy Don for chickening out on his vacation now that it looks like the hurricane will miss Cozumel. (fingers crossed):wink:
Mattboy you are a provoker! But you made me laugh! Christi I really hope for the best for you and my other coz friends. I didn't sleep for days when Wilma hit, I was so worried. Even though I don't frequent the board alot, it's only because it makes me want to come back. The Coz addiction!

Well dont worry Don, Ive tried 3x to dive with Christi, she dont take cruiseship passengers, the schedule dont work for her :shrug:

I do hope the best for everyone in Cozumel, its one of my most fav places to visit. I was there 4 months ago and had a great time and the dives were awesome but the cruise piers were being rebuilt, hopefully it works out for everyone.

Anyone here what lays in store for Costa Maya ???

OK, now here is another question - IF Dean ends up hitting ~100 miles south of Cozumel and the worst for Cozumel is 'Tropical Storm like' winds - what advice do you have for those of us that have reservations made for this week and next? Should they still be cancelled, delayed, or will things be 'back to normal' by Thursday/Friday? Any idea of what to expect? I started filing an insurance claim for the flight, but I haven't officially cancelled it yet. I don't want to go there and be the 'annoying tourist' who had to be there, but if the welcome is open again and the diving is good, I'll definately go. Thoughts?

CrazyMike:
OK, now here is another question - IF Dean ends up hitting ~100 miles south of Cozumel and the worst for Cozumel is 'Tropical Storm like' winds - what advice do you have for those of us that have reservations made for this week and next? Should they still be cancelled, delayed, or will things be 'back to normal' by Thursday/Friday? Any idea of what to expect? I started filing an insurance claim for the flight, but I haven't officially cancelled it yet. I don't want to go there and be the 'annoying tourist' who had to be there, but if the welcome is open again and the diving is good, I'll definately go. Thoughts?
Let you know in two days.
In '82 The Lovely Young Kat flew out to Oahu to meet me when my ship came to visit there. She watched the ship approach Pearl from the hotel balcony. Just as she thought it was time to head on over to Pearl so she could be on the dock as we tied up, the ship turned around and headed back out to sea. The other girls were all going "Whaaaaa...???" but Kat broke the code immediately, and had them all come with her to lay in water, beer & candles. They rode out hurricane Ewa (Iwa, some say) in the hotel, we rode it out at sea, and got together three days later.
When dealing with the sea, you just have to be flexible.
----
Given that the prevailing currents are south to north there, I'd bet that the water will be all churned up and the vis lousy - especially by COZ standards - for a week or so. But it is the sea, and the only way to be certain is to wait and report what it is and was, not what it will be... :)
Rick

CrazyMike:

If it was me.. I would monitor the storm, the damage caused.. and if I can't get in touch with the hotel/providers before my trip, I would cancel (meaning if they can't answer the phone, they have better things to do).

Yes, if it is a minor hit, who knows. Things could be up and going soon and they will welcome you.. But, if things are bad, then resources will be low and they will be busy. You just don't know and so I would watch it day by day until my go/nogo time arrives and evaluate things then based on what the vendors you will be dealing with tell you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom