Dangerous Hurricane Dean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the really devastating damage from a major hurricane is from the storm surge rather than the wind. Water doesn't have to be moving very fast to flatten a building once it gets above the foundation by a few feet. Buildings built like piers on pilings fare better, but those come down too when a house hits the pilings.
Lucky for COZ and the Yucatan, the coast gets deep in a hurry and there's very little in the way of long narrowing bays. This topography means a very small surge as surges go, even in a large storm - and COZ has endured some humdingers, like Gilbert in '88.
Where you have a long gently sloping bottom you can get a huge surge over a wide area that'll cause devastation disproportianate to the winds, especially if you have a very wide storm - like Katrina and the Mississippi/Alabama coast...
Another bad topography is like Corpus, with a large shallow bay behind a barrier Island that's not very high. Models show that only a five foot surge on the gulf at Mustang Island can give a 20 foot surge at downtown Corpus. Let's hope we never see the proof. The Galveston storm was the worst natural disaster ever in the United States in terms of lost lives; it was the 18 - 20 foot surge that knocked all the buildings down and drowned everybody.
Bottom line... The highest winds aren't necessarily the place of the greatest damage, but for places like COZ, if they can escape the really big winds (and the damned thing doesn't stall and beat 'em to death for days like Wilma did) they shouldn't have too much else to worry about.
So the forecast is hopeful right now, but a little wobble could take it from hopeful to horrible.
Rick

Marvel:
I agree, Christi. It is disturbing to read of divers who opted to stay a few days longer knowing that Dean was coming because the diving was still good. If they were really unable to get out for a couple of days (which didn't seem to be the case) their time would have been better spent pitching in to assist those who were trying to prepare- nailing up plywood, moving items indoors that pose a risk, organizing supplies, etc. At the very least they could have minimized the need for the locals to continue providing services to them.

Well Marvel, as one who just returned, I can tell you my train of thought.

When I got on a plane a 6:00am Thursday, I thought the odds what is planned now looked unlikely. Its rare that a storm continues in a straight line like it is, nor would we know how it would strengthen between now and then.

We dove Friday. By the time we got back Friday night and dealt with a diver in Deco, we then realized at 10:00pm that we were going to have a make a call. And decided to wait until 6:30am the next morning to see where we were. At that point if nothing had changed, it was time to make plans to evacuate. And as such, it hadn't. I tried to get a flight out on Sunday as we did have dives for Saturday. That wasn't an option, so I booked the next flight I could get, which was Saturday afternoon with an overnight layover.

Its easy to armchair QB from here, but you have to by what information you are getting at the time. Our dive op still was sending boats out on Saturday. Others were taking their boats out of the water. If I could have had a flight out today, I would have stayed and dove yesterday morning. The boat went out whether I was on it or not. The forecast that was passed out to us at that point was as a watch with a forecast that it was slowing down and wouldn't hit until Tuesday.

It may have been easy here to see that Dean was definitely going to hit Cozumel three days ago, but from the ground where I was, I didn't think it was that obvious.

Good luck Christi and all those in Cozumel during Dean. Hurricane Jeanne took our roof in 2004 so I know how bad it can get - I hope Dean gets weaker and stays away from you all.
Take care everyone!

Cancun airport at I was headed for security screening at 11am. I bet it got a lot worse there. Even tho there is hope that Coz will take a lighter hit and Holbox even lighter now - I'm glad to be in Texas. I'll try it again sometime....

Cancunairportat11am.jpg

cowboyneal:
I wonder if Aldora Divers will be the only dive operation left on Cozumel after Dean like it was after Wilma?

Good one!

Anyone who's stuck on the island who would enjoy a little topical reading should try to find a copy of "Stormy Weather" by Carl Hiaasan. I believe I left a copy at Roberta's (next to Casa Del Mar) after Wilma.

Ooops, forgive me, oh self righteous ones, for suggesting that someone might be looking for a little entertainment in the midst of preparing for the storm. I'm very, very, very sorry. :wink:

I missed Gilbert back in the '80's but I was there during Wilma and hope Coz doesn't get hit again that hard. . They don't deserve it. Thoughts and prayers are going out.

It's best to keep it light whenever possible...it's a dive thing...the best jokes I ever heard were when a bunch of us were being swept away in a Pacific current in a boat (at least we were in a boat) that was broken down out to sea on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica where I was doing my divemaster internship (many moons ago). I remember our Captain, XXXX, (who had been in the Nicaraguan Navy and lost at sea for like 50 days one time) making jokes about having to only eat one guy, and the rest of us checking each other's body parts (get your mind out of the gutter) and the like and the jokes were just jumping out all day and into the evening...meanwhile, we only had to spend one night on the boat, since it started up the very next day and we limped back to Playa del Coco (barely) after being taken WAY out to sea...took us most of the next day to get back (admittedly we were going very slowly)...we did, however, have a water ration plan and hooks in the water and all the rest of it...so, while things are looking bad, you can always try to keep your mood up as best as possible...

mattboy:
Good one!

Anyone who's stuck on the island who would enjoy a little topical reading should try to find a copy of "Stormy Weather" by Carl Hiaasan. I believe I left a copy at Roberta's (next to Casa Del Mar) after Wilma.

Ooops, forgive me, oh self righteous ones, for suggesting that someone might be looking for a little entertainment in the midst of preparing for the storm. I'm very, very, very sorry. :wink:

Well as a matter of fact, I have several books lined up ready to read when all of the work is done :)

Praxus:
Thanks for the corrections. However, there is certainly a reason to believe that a category 5 will hit close to Coz, as that is what the National Hurricane Centre is forecasting
You were saying...?

deanwind.gif

Back
Top Bottom