DAN Members, DAN Insurance, are you, do you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Member for two years at the premium level. I also use their gear insurance and I'm thinking of using their trip insurance.

I'm very pleased with their service. I experienced a barotrauma in my left ear about a year and a half ago while diving out of the country. I spent time on the phone with them while away, and they told me which doctor to go to. The follow-ups stateside were all covered as well.

Highly recommended!

miketsp:
There is something wrong with this thread. It appears that 100% of SB has DAN insurance.
What about hearing from people that chose other insurers or dive without insurance?

The question was "DAN Members, DAN Insurance, are you, do you?" so miketsp raised a good question. I am a DAN member because I didn't want to do much research (ok, i am lazy) but is there anyone on SB that is not a DAN member and has opted for
- relying on the medical evacution coverage provided by a number of credit cards for free
- relying on a healthcare plan (yes, there are still some good company-sponsored plans out there) that is supposed to cover the cost of any required medical treatment (assuming deductible and copy are palatable), including an infortunate visit to a deco chamber

JV

Im not and dont really see the need here.

Im covered via normal NHS for diving here, my kit is covered on travel insurance abroad and my travel insurance also covers me for diving within certification level.

Given that i dont really see the need (and in fact dont know of anyone here that is).

nod... we dont' have national health insurance in the US, as i'm sure you know,
and most health/medical insurance policies don't cover diving accidents and so on,
hence the need for the DAN, PADI, etc. diving insurance policies

Premium all the way.

String:
Im not and dont really see the need here.

Im covered via normal NHS for diving here, my kit is covered on travel insurance abroad and my travel insurance also covers me for diving within certification level.

Given that i dont really see the need (and in fact dont know of anyone here that is).
It might be the same over here but I don't want to have a discussion about that when I NEED to enter the chamber. Better be safe than sorry.

Laurens

Damn guy come on!!!!!! How much money have you spent on dive gear? and so on I do not think that diving is a cheap sport and if it is then do you trust your life on some piece of crap reg. that you got from a friend that has been in the closet for yrs and soo on. NAAAAAHHHHHHH not for me I spend more money going to the dive site and back in gas and eats than what it cost for insurance with DAN. Like insurance on a car I hope I never need it but I like having it just in case.

WileEDiver:
Mike-

Why do you think that there is something wrong with this thread? The title specifically asked about DAN and not any other dive insurance. And my guess, based on the emphatic endorsements posted here, is that most SBers without insurance would simply prefer not to advertise that fact.

-Dan

Maybe there's a distortion here in that SB members tend to be enthusiastic regular divers but I'd say that when I go to tourist areas, many once or twice a year divers ask what my DAN tags are for and seem surprised when I say I have dive insurance.
I'd be curious to hear from Instructors or DMs in Coz or similar places as to what % of divers on holiday trips carry specific dive insurance.
Many tourists think that the general holiday insurance they bought for 2 weeks will cover them for everything. They never see the fine print.
I looked into this, this week, because as I said earlier I'm going to Cuba tomorrow and DAN USA will not cover me. However as part of the packet there is a "holiday" insurance deal which cost US$38 for the week. The version of the contract they gave me does not exclude diving but there is a tiny last line which refers to a "full" version of the contract available "on request". So I requested it and of course, you guessed it - scuba is excluded from the coverage.

I've been researching the DAN website, but can't find a definite answer to this...

They reference family memberships, but do they offer family insurance coverage?

Or does each diving member have to get a separate policy?

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom