DAN Members, DAN Insurance, are you, do you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
and most health/medical insurance policies don't cover diving accidents and so on, hence the need for the DAN, PADI, etc. diving insurance policies.

Hello all. I see that many of you sign up for DAN insurance. Here is a voice of opposition. Let's see if you agree.

Most of us who are not professional divers dive somewhere between once or twice a month (or so). If you total that up, it adds up to 2 or 3 hours a month under water. Most of us take one trip a year or every other year away from our home area. Look back in your log book and see if this isn't pretty close. Sometimes the trips are out of country, but not always.

So, we're under water about 30 or 40 hours per year. Only a few of those hours are out of country in an average year. Unless you are out of country, an expensive helo ride isn't necessary, most of the time. My insurance covers ambulance rides. I haven't checked into helo rides because it is such a remote possibility.

U.S. health insurance covers the necessary treatment for all medical conditions. The scare tactics from the DAN proponents are just that. If you end up in a chamber, it's covered. Check with your insurance. Better yet, don't do stupid things that get you into a chamber. With today's conservative tables and computers, there is no reason for it.

Insurance companies are in the business to make a profit. If you don't pay more than you use, they go out of business. When you pay this premium, you are betting that you are not smart enough to stay out of situations where you need to use the insurance. They are betting that you are.

The latest DAN annual report is here:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/about/annualreport/DAN2003AnnualReport.pdf

DAN's income in 2003 was $8.4 million. Of that, only $835,000 was spent on medical costs. If you are getting DAN insurance for medical costs, you are getting 10 cents on the dollar as a benefit. This is a really poor investment.

You professionals need some sort of dive insurance. The rest of us should not be subsidizing your premiums. Stop encouraging every diver to pay for this outrageous, almost worthless insurance. The potential for us to use it is nearly zero.

Dive within the no decompression limits. Always made a safety stop on the way up. Since Dive Trainer Magazine and DAN recommended it, I have started making a safety stop of 1 or 2 minutes at 1/2 my maximum depth.

Dive conservatively. Dive often. Have fun. Stop getting taken by DAN and those that benefit from selling you insurance you don't need.

jlayman800:
Hello all. I see that many of you sign up for DAN insurance. Here is a voice of opposition. Let's see if you agree.

Most of us who are not professional divers dive somewhere between once or twice a month (or so). If you total that up, it adds up to 2 or 3 hours a month under water. Most of us take one trip a year or every other year away from our home area. Look back in your log book and see if this isn't pretty close. Sometimes the trips are out of country, but not always.

So, we're under water about 30 or 40 hours per year. Only a few of those hours are out of country in an average year. Unless you are out of country, an expensive helo ride isn't necessary, most of the time. My insurance covers ambulance rides. I haven't checked into helo rides because it is such a remote possibility.

U.S. health insurance covers the necessary treatment for all medical conditions. The scare tactics from the DAN proponents are just that. If you end up in a chamber, it's covered. Check with your insurance. Better yet, don't do stupid things that get you into a chamber. With today's conservative tables and computers, there is no reason for it.

Insurance companies are in the business to make a profit. If you don't pay more than you use, they go out of business. When you pay this premium, you are betting that you are not smart enough to stay out of situations where you need to use the insurance. They are betting that you are.

The latest DAN annual report is here:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/about/annualreport/DAN2003AnnualReport.pdf

DAN's income in 2003 was $8.4 million. Of that, only $835,000 was spent on medical costs. If you are getting DAN insurance for medical costs, you are getting 10 cents on the dollar as a benefit. This is a really poor investment.

You professionals need some sort of dive insurance. The rest of us should not be subsidizing your premiums. Stop encouraging every diver to pay for this outrageous, almost worthless insurance. The potential for us to use it is nearly zero.

Dive within the no decompression limits. Always made a safety stop on the way up. Since Dive Trainer Magazine and DAN recommended it, I have started making a safety stop of 1 or 2 minutes at 1/2 my maximum depth.

Dive conservatively. Dive often. Have fun. Stop getting taken by DAN and those that benefit from selling you insurance you don't need.

My home didnt blow away in the last 4 hurricanes. I think I'll exclude windstorm from my homeowners' policy. Heck I havnt been burglarized, and come to think of it the house didnt burn down so the heck with homeowners period. Now when I really get to thinking I didnt cream anyone with the car last year, and it wasnt stolen.
Dang, I just saved a fortune! :eyebrow:

Jlayman800,

Ever hear of an "undeserved" hit? Diving and decompression is not an exact science.

One chamber ride and you'll make up for around 500 years of DAN premiums really quickly. I hope the insurance company gets really wealthy from my $100.00, because they'll be around to pay when I need them.

No scare tactics, just potential reality.

nc dp

jlayman800:
Since Dive Trainer Magazine and DAN recommended it, I have started making a safety stop of 1 or 2 minutes at 1/2 my maximum depth,

Stop getting taken by DAN ...
Huh??

I have to agree with Sage - in 31 yrs I have never used my homeowners policy, have never used my car insurance or even used my Health Ins. (except for when my twins were born) BUT I am going to keep those policies. Just as I am going to continue to have Dive Insurance with DAN. I would rather be "safe (and out $100.00) than be sorry! One claim and it is all worth it.

Becky

nauifins73:
I have to agree with Sage - in 31 yrs I have never used my homeowners policy, have never used my car insurance or even used my Health Ins. (except for when my twins were born) BUT I am going to keep those policies. Just as I am going to continue to have Dive Insurance with DAN. I would rather be "safe (and out $100.00) than be sorry! One claim and it is all worth it. Becky

Yes BUT, the premiums on your home-owner's and car insurance are based on projected losses. The profits are regulated by competition and government oversight. The premiums on the DAN insurance are from outer space. They could never charge these premiums if they were dealing with the general public. Divers have a little extra money or they couldn't afford to dive. It's a luxury sport. We're easy pray to fast talking people who use scare tactics. Some day competition will find it's way into this market, too. Right now, DAN has a virtual monopoly. Because there are so few of us, getting into this market isn't worth the time of other companies.

Please continue to pay for this worthless insurance if it makes you feel better. $100 a year isn't much cost for a warm fuzzy feeling. I often throw away money just for enjoyment or a feeling of security. Last year I bought a 6 foot tall, orange plastic inflatable weenie and an air powered wistle to signal dive boats. See, I do stupid things, too.

Actually, they don't have a monopoly, but that's irrelevant.

I like my warm, fuzzy feeling. It's much better than that nauseating feeling that I'd have when I got the bill from my credit card company after the chamber ride and transportation costs.

I assume you don't own life insurance either?

jlayman800:
Yes BUT, the premiums on your home-owner's and car insurance are based on projected losses. The profits are regulated by competition and government oversight. The premiums on the DAN insurance are from outer space. They could never charge these premiums if they were dealing with the general public. Divers have a little extra money or they couldn't afford to dive. It's a luxury sport. We're easy pray to fast talking people who use scare tactics. Some day competition will find it's way into this market, too. Right now, DAN has a virtual monopoly. Because there are so few of us, getting into this market isn't worth the time of other companies.

Please continue to pay for this worthless insurance if it makes you feel better. $100 a year isn't much cost for a warm fuzzy feeling. I often throw away money just for enjoyment or a feeling of security. Last year I bought a 6 foot tall, orange plastic inflatable weenie and an air powered wistle to signal dive boats. See, I do stupid things, too.

Did you know Florida residents pay for snow removal under their insurance policies? And, believe it or not they build in an anything goes factor for the comet that hits your home. Acts of God and such.

The premium that I pay for insurance buys me one thing and one thing only. Peace of mind. I cant show it off at parties. And I dont invite people over to see my honey of a contract. It simply lets me concentrate on matters at hand and enjoy my daily activity.

Being a business man, and lucky enough to know the ends and outs of business activity, I can assure you that no one is getting rich from DAN premiums. There are office personnel to pay, paper to buy, inkjets, paper clips, phone lines....you name it.

The $100 premium is probably close to the minimum amount needed to cover those costs and crank out a viable contract that will also stand strong on its claim of coverage.

Bottom line is I can afford the hit and ride, and I enjoy my diving much more because of it. I do dive after all for the tranqulity. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom