DAN and AIG travel insurance absurd response ; Sinking boat not covered!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apologies, but to me, Dive Insurance and Travel insurance should be coordinated closely. . . .

I don't understand your reasoning. Your example above, in which you incurred $60k in air ambulance costs and another $60k in treatment, is the reason just about every diver agrees that accident and medical insurance is a no-brainer. That kind of money is beyond the amount of cash cushion most of us maintain in our bank accounts to cover miscellaneous misfortunes in our lives.

But I can't imagine how one could find themselves out of pocket $120k or even $60k in unusable airline tickets, a few extra nights in a hotel, meals, lost luggage, re-booking costs, etc.--the things typical "travel insurance" covers. Many of the things we tend to worry about are refundable, cancelable, or haven't yet been paid in full. Even liveaboards will often give you a credit toward a future trip. Travel insurance may be comforting, and as with any gamble it will pay off for the minority (anecdotes in which someone said their travel insurance paid for something are easy to find), but I only consider insurance a true no-brainer if it covers misfortunes that would ruin or nearly ruin my finances if I had to pay out of pocket. Medical care is a different animal from vacation costs, in my opinion.

I will say that even though we didn't have to go through them, ( DAN) was very responsive and followed up continuously after the accident to check on us.

I don't understand your reasoning. Your example above, in which you incurred $60k in air ambulance costs and another $60k in treatment, is the reason just about every diver agrees that accident and medical insurance is a no-brainer. That kind of money is beyond the amount of cash cushion most of us maintain in our bank accounts to cover miscellaneous misfortunes in our lives.

But I can't imagine how one could find themselves out of pocket $120k or even $60k in unusable airline tickets, a few extra nights in a hotel, meals, lost luggage, re-booking costs, etc.--the things typical "travel insurance" covers. Many of the things we tend to worry about are refundable, cancelable, or haven't yet been paid in full. Even liveaboards will often give you a credit toward a future trip. Travel insurance may be comforting, and as with any gamble it will pay off for the minority (anecdotes in which someone said their travel insurance paid for something are easy to find), but I only consider insurance a true no-brainer if it covers misfortunes that would ruin or nearly ruin my finances if I had to pay out of pocket. Medical care is a different animal from vacation costs, in my opinion.

Everyone has a different risk tolerance, and some choose to self-insure more than others. You can buy trip insurance that covers both accident and travel, which we have done. We were reimbursed almost $ 7,000 for trip cancellation earlier this year, when our flight was canceled and we missed the liveaboard departure. Would it have bankrupted us to eat it, absolutely not, but if we only had DAN, we would have been out of luck.

Bottom line, everyone should do their homework, once they determine what they want to protect most. Unlike many other divers, I've had the opportunity to incur both types of losses, and am merely trying to educate others to the possible pitfalls.

I will say that even though we didn't have to go through them, ( DAN) was very responsive and followed up continuously after the accident to check on us.

I have DAN accident insurance--the highest level they offer in my state.

We were reimbursed almost $ 7,000 for trip cancellation earlier this year, when our flight was canceled and we missed the liveaboard departure. Would it have bankrupted us to eat it, absolutely not, but if we only had DAN, we would have been out of luck.

Bottom line, everyone should do their homework, once they determine what they want to protect most. Unlike many other divers, I've had the opportunity to incur both types of losses, and am merely trying to educate others to the possible pitfalls.

Credit card trip cancellation/interruption would have also covered this, depending on the reason for the canceled flight and what the terms and conditions of your specific credit card says on what qualifies and what doesn't.

Don't get me wrong - I purchase a policy for every trip I take and I have claimed on both sides (but not at the same time).

Credit card trip cancellation/interruption would have also covered this, depending on the reason for the canceled flight and what the terms and conditions of your specific credit card says on what qualifies and what doesn't.

Don't get me wrong - I purchase a policy for every trip I take and I have claimed on both sides (but not at the same time).

I agree it possibly could have been, but we didn't check that, since we had purchased the dive/trip package specifically for the liveaboard rider. But you reinforce my point, that pre-trip homework (such as contacting your CC company), can go a long way in avoiding problems and surprises.

I agree it possibly could have been, but we didn't check that, since we had purchased the dive/trip package specifically for the liveaboard rider. But you reinforce my point, that pre-trip homework (such as contacting your CC company), can go a long way in avoiding problems and surprises.

All things aside, I am glad you are OK after the dive accident. At the end of the day, especially after the MV Conception this week, more money can be made despite how harrowing and daunting it may be given the amount, belongings can be replaced even if lost in a boat sinking or fire. Loved ones, painfully, cannot be replaced. My heart breaks over and over whenever I think about it. In my mind, there is no amount of insurance coverage or payout that can make that better or less painful.

I was trying to recoup flights and hotels.
The ship refunded the money promptly.
AIG required that either;
weather
  • financial collapse of the company
  • destination residence uninhabitable for whatever reason
  • call to military service of traveler
  • terrorism
But not sinking. And it's a damn dive boat!!
Outrageous!!

Silly that it doesn't fall under destination residence uninhabitable for whatever reason...that seems to be the case.

Silly that it doesn't fall under destination residence uninhabitable for whatever reason...that seems to be the case.

I can't speak to DAN's policy (underwritten by AIG) but this is what Dive Assure has for theirs regarding "uninhabitable":

9.2.2. You or Your Traveling Companion’s principal place of residence or destination being rendered 8 | P a g e uninhabitable by fire, flood, burglary or other natural disaster within 10 days of departure;

9.3.1.1. Coverage from a named Hurricane, Cyclone or Tropical Storm as declared by a National Weather Service causing cancellation of travel. The Insurer will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 30 calendar days after the named storm makes the Insured’s destination inaccessible or uninhabitable (including damage to Live Aboard Vessels). Benefits are not payable if a hurricane, Cyclone or Tropical Storm is named within the first 14 days of the Policy Purchase Date. Coverage is limited to losses not covered by the tour operator to the limits in the schedule of benefits.

In the case of the OP, it would be more than 10 days of departure but running aground on a reef is neither fire, flood, burglary, or a natural disaster, unfortunately. It was also not the result from a named hurricane, cyclone, or tropical storm. The responsibility still falls onto the liveaboard provider. If they do not come through, hope that you paid credit card and then do a chargeback per my post above.

I'm glad the OP shared his experience. This always encourages me to dig and ask questions. While I always purchased my trips using a credit card, it was more so for trip cancellation/interruption as it relates to getting to the liveaboard or resort, and I never thought of it from a chargeback perspective because the boat screws the pooch and runs aground. It's good to know what is covered with the policies and what is not, and where the gaps may be and if that is OK with each of us and if not, to seek coverage elsewhere or attempt to minimize the risks.

All things aside, I am glad you are OK after the dive accident. At the end of the day, especially after the MV Conception this week, more money can be made despite how harrowing and daunting it may be given the amount, belongings can be replaced even if lost in a boat sinking or fire. Loved ones, painfully, cannot be replaced. My heart breaks over and over whenever I think about it. In my mind, there is no amount of insurance coverage or payout that can make that better or less painful.

Thank you. Truth in what you say for sure about this terrible tragedy, which has touched all of us in the diving community. We are all part of a big extended family, that shares a love of the sea and of exploration and adventure. Insurance can't touch the pain their families feel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom