Cruise Ship Damage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw this in the news.
On the internet.
Translated from Spanish by Google.

Cruise did not damage the reef
February 24, 2019

In Cozumel

COBAG23.jpg

By Gabriel Aguilar

COZUMEL, February 23rd.- In view of the alleged damage to the reef caused by the anchorage of a cruise the previous Friday, from the National Commission of Protected Natural Areas, they announced that the area is sandy and that everything was a normal anchorage without damage.

The morning of last Friday, providers of tourist services were speculating that the anchorage of the cruise MV Hamburg, presumably could have been carried out on a reef body and that to it obeyed the presence of two boats of Pilots of Port that were doing maneuvers near this ship anchored in the roadstead.

When consulting with Brenda Hernández, head of the National Commission of Natural Protected Areas, regarding whether this ship had actually anchored in a reef, she reported that she had actually received the report that a cruise ship was anchored in the harbor and that they asked her to I did the right thing to remove him from the area.

Although he informed them that he was at anchor, he had the authorization of the Harbor Master's Office, underlining that they did not inform him about any damage to the reef because the area where he was is a sandy area.

He then reported that it is not up to the National Commission of Protected Natural Areas to go to withdraw a cruise, because you have an authorization from the Harbor Master's Office and it is not your jurisdiction.

He recalled that for a cruise to arrive, the personnel of the Harbor Master's Office introduces him to the roadstead, and it is not that the captain of the so-called "floating hotels" arrives and for his pleasure choose a place to anchor them.

Where the ship was anchored has been a "safe anchorage" designated location for decades.

I discovered articles describing cruise ship anchors tearing up the reef in Cozumel as far back as 1996. It probably happened before then, but people didn't bother to write news articles about it back when it was socially acceptable to dynamite a reef in order to count the fish.

"Socially acceptable back then" Yup Jacques Cousteau did that. Let's also not forget The Great Blue Hole off Belize used to be entirely surrounded by shallow reef and Jacques Cousteau used UW explosives to blast a passage the Calypso could navigate through to get inside for an Arial photo shoot showing the ship inside the blue hole for his Nat Geo publicity photos. There was no need for it as the sub could have been towed in by smaller boats but he just had to get that ship in there. I believe to this day that passage continues to be the one all deeper hulled boats/ships take to enter and exit.

Support local businesses, contact the Barcos Caribe folks. Experience counts.
That's funny right there...I don't care who you are!!

Thanks for the laugh!
Jay

I’ve been told that the area of damage is about 200 yards long. Despite what is in the press. Have not seen it myself, but trusted buddy viewed video of the damage.

@dberry What does old ferry news have to do with this cruise ship incident?

I’ve been told that the area of damage is about 200 yards long. Despite what is in the press. Have not seen it myself, but trusted buddy viewed video of the damage.

@dberry What does old ferry news have to do with this cruise ship incident?

Dove it yesterday. Horrible distruction clearly on the reef. Everything flattened and crushed in a very clear path. A reef overhang smashed off the size of a diver... Also the 10m wide place higher up the reef onto the reef where there is some sand where the chains dragged. The real damage is down on the wall.

: (

Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom