Cruise Ship Damage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to enjoy mooning them in Cozumel. As we passed them on the way to the southern dive sites, there were always a few people with such boring lives that they would stay on board in port and watch life pass them by from the stern. Then I decided I was being cruel to sad people.

You are being pretty judgmental. Sad people? Some cruisers stay on board at some ports because they have been to that particular port enough times to have done all of the excursions that are of interest to them. If they don't dive or snorkel, the tourist attractions look the same as the last time visited. Some stay so their kids can have endless turns on the numerous "active" activities available on the larger ships. Others stay on board because their purpose of cruising is to detox from very stressful work schedules or family issues. There is nothing sad about having the freedom to do exactly what you want to do with your day, when you want to do it, and for how long. To paraphrase a comment I often hear from people (especially wives and moms) returning from a cruise "I thought I died and gone to heaven: Sleeping late; having very nice meals that I don't have to cook or clean up afterwards; having the luxury of all family members eating what they want without me being a short order cook, enjoying the pool, hot tub and spa; seeing local sites (including diving) if I choose; taking in a nice show every night; kids' clubs that provide fun and safe entertainment for my children; and time for myself. I just wish I could afford to do this more often." I have never heard anyone say "Gee, I can't wait to go back to work or housework on Monday." Of course cruising is not for everyone, but I would never describe anyone I have ever met on a cruise as "sad people."

I used to enjoy mooning them in Cozumel. As we passed them on the way to the southern dive sites, there were always a few people with such boring lives that they would stay on board in port and watch life pass them by from the stern. Then I decided I was being cruel to sad people.
Yup. There's nothing like looking at some old guy's wrinkly ass that will make me change my mind about cruising.

Yup. There's nothing like looking at some old guy's wrinkly ass that will make me change my mind about cruising.

Yes, and that is from a significant distance of dive boat to cruise ship. Can you imagine the upclose version on the dive boat?

Yes, and that is from a significant distance of dive boat to cruise ship. Can you imagine the upclose version on the dive boat?

It would be looking at a wall and praying they don't activate their thrusters.

Why are some of you guys so quick to bash people who like to go on cruises? They must find something enjoyable about cruising for there to be such a huge market for it. I know several folks who really love it. As I said, it's not my bag but to each his own; I don't feel superior to them or sorry for them because of our different preferences.

True, cruise ships have some deleterious effects on the environment, but so do a lot of other endeavors we humans engage in. Very few of us can claim that nothing we do contributes to them.

BTW, about the comment about "some old guy's wrinkly ass": There but for the grace of time goes you. Your ass will be wrinkly someday, too, if you are lucky enough to survive until it happens.

There is nothing sad about having the freedom to do exactly what you want to do with your day, when you want to do it, and for how long.

Except that is the exact opposite of what being on a cruise ship is. You cannot do what you want for how long you want to. There's a schedule for everything. When you are allowed off and when you must be back or the ship sails without you. For us, constant pressure and time limits were not relaxing. I did gain 7 pounds in a week so at least eating wasn't an issue as that's all I seemed to do. Glad to have experienced it, and on a good ship/line, but doubt we'll think about going again until we're senior citizens (if even then).

As a diver, I have my reasons to hate cruise ships, but there's nothing I can do about them. So I just prefer to go where they do not go (yet).

Except that is the exact opposite of what being on a cruise ship is. You cannot do what you want for how long you want to. There's a schedule for everything. When you are allowed off and when you must be back or the ship sails without you. For us, constant pressure and time limits were not relaxing. I did gain 7 pounds in a week so at least eating wasn't an issue as that's all I seemed to do. Glad to have experienced it, and on a good ship/line, but doubt we'll think about going again until we're senior citizens (if even then).

You apparently missed the main point of my comments, which specifically had to do with staying on the ship on port days. Of course, if you get off the ship, you have to deal with the ship's schedule, and the resulting pressures on your time and freedom. My wife and I are senior citizens, but don't stay on the ship in port, but I fully understand the freedom enjoyed by those that choose a different way to spend their day.

It depends on the port and the ship. Some ports we get off. Others, we stay onboard. Either way we have a good time. Isn’t that what vacations are for?

I had a blast for the year I spent "working" on some Cruise ships. I say work - I had to attend for 4.5 hrs, 5 or 6 days a week, sign time sheets of my team - press 2 buttons and read a book (used to be in charge of the Theatre lighting)

I had officer status but wasn't required to formally deal with passengers, but I was allowed to drink in the public areas (but not sit)

And the paying public gave me hours of amusement with some (most) of their questions "Do the crew sleep aboard the ship " Was my all time favourite.

Unfortunately all good things came to an end when they wanted to put me on the correct crew contract rather than the temp consultancy packages I'd joined with. :(

Back
Top Bottom