Cruise Ship Damage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Edit to add: Being an engineer, I'm completely blown out by cruise ships. As much as I loathe them, I must admit, I'm enamored by them when close by. True engineering marvels and a great display of human ingenuity.

As a logistics expert, I'm blown away with what's going on behind the scenes, scripted to the minute, for every cruise - and how they are able to refit and turn them around so quickly. It's remarkable. I've only gone on one cruise - because it was an all expenses paid trip for my family (Disney Fantasy). I could see how, for some people, it's their thing but yeah... no. Not ours. At all.

Exactly. I've never been on a cruise ship. I'm a bit of a germophobe and reading about all of the viral outbreaks aboard them is more than enough reason for me to keep my distance, but people freakin' love going on cruises. I work with so many people that save up all year to take their annual cruise and come back raving about it like it was the most original and amazing vacation one could take. And most have no idea what is going on underneath the hull. I think most think the ocean is just a vast, mostly empty, big ass lake. As long as there is endless fried cheese and overpriced booze, people will always be willing to belly up to the snot covered buffet to say they went to Belize.

It's not a cruise industry problem, it's a people are gross problem.

Edit to add: Being an engineer, I'm completely blown out by cruise ships. As much as I loathe them, I must admit, I'm enamored by them when close by. True engineering marvels and a great display of human ingenuity.
People have different practices that make them happy. Cruising isn't my bag, but there are obviously a whole lot of folks who really like it. To each his own; I don't think it's particularly more "gross" than a lot of other popular pursuits.

I'm an engineer, myself, and I enjoy the Impossible Engineering shows on the Science Channel. Here's a pertinent one: World's Biggest Cruise Ship | Impossible Engineering

I've seen this thing several times docked at the south pier on Cozumel.

People have different practices that make them happy. Cruising isn't my bag, but there are obviously a whole lot of folks who really like it. To each his own; I don't think it's particularly more "gross" than a lot of other popular pursuits.

I'm an engineer, myself, and I enjoy the Impossible Engineering shows on the Science Channel. Here's a pertinent one: World's Biggest Cruise Ship | Impossible Engineering

I've seen this thing several times docked at the south pier on Cozumel.

It's all fun and games until the ship gets hit broadside by a 115 mph wind.

I've done one, crappy cruise. It lived up to every disappointment I was expecting. The best thing about it was my dive in Nassau. I'm sure the bigger ships are a little more interesting, but it's just not our thing.

Now, a river cruise is a much different story. I haven't done one yet, but it's on my bucket list.

It's all fun and games until the ship gets hit broadside by a 115 mph wind.
Like last weekend: Norwegian Cruise Line Ship Escape Battered By Freak 115-MPH Winds, Tilting Ship Injures Passengers And Crew

Or loses power including flush toilets for several days.

Or sinks after the captain runs into rocks showing off for a friend, then hides in a lifeboat.

Or someone is raped, killed, or just lost overboard.

Or someone is kicked off in a strange port for being ill after not bothering to buy trip insurance.

I think they are simply disgusting.

Now, a river cruise is a much different story. I haven't done one yet, but it's on my bucket list.
I used to go on Windjammer cruises, with captains who actually sailed the barques and schooners, but then got the same wussy captain on two trips. They were fun at times but I didn't get to see much of the islands we visited. Then I did some Discover dives while we were in two nearby islands for two days and got hooked. I took my new scuba gear on one more trip, but decided that was a fail. I like to get to the port quickly by plane, then spend several days in the same waters and getting to know the land.

The river cruises and inside passage Alaskan cruises look interesting, at least you don't get stuck on board for days in a row with nothing to see but the horizon, but I'd want to spend more time ashore. The desert of southern Utah was wonderful last summer.

at least you don't get stuck on board for days in a row with nothing to see but the horizon

And, if you miss the boat at the dock, you can take a taxi to the next port of call.

The only cruise ship I've been on is the wreck of the Bianca C. If I ever did go on a cruise I'd prefer a smaller ship. Not a fan of lots of people in one spot or behemoth ships.

There are cruise ships and there are cruise ships... my wife and I did a 4-day excursion through the Straits of Magellan, Beagle Channel, including Cape Horn, Isla Los Penguinos, and more Fiords and glaciers than we could count. Two zodiac excursions each day to hike on glaciers or exploring the relatively pristine wilderness. But this was on an "explorer" size ship with a max of 100 passengers. At dock in Ushaia it was dwarfed by a 3000 person behemoth that looked like a floating Norovirus culture.

The only cruise ship I've been on is the wreck of the Bianca C. If I ever did go on a cruise I'd prefer a smaller ship. Not a fan of lots of people in one spot or behemoth ships.
I used to enjoy mooning them in Cozumel. As we passed them on the way to the southern dive sites, there were always a few people with such boring lives that they would stay on board in port and watch life pass them by from the stern. Then I decided I was being cruel to sad people.

I used to enjoy mooning them in Cozumel. As we passed them on the way to the southern dive sites, there were always a few people with such boring lives that they would stay on board in port and watch life pass them by from the stern. Then I decided I was being cruel to sad people.

If I were on a cruise ship going to Cozumel, I would probably stay on board than to walk by all the hawkers. Maybe you were brightening their day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom