Cruise Ship Damage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recall that it wasn't that long ago when there was only the downtown pier, so many cruise ships dropped anchor and tendered passengers. Later, but still before the new piers, they wouldn't drop anchor, but would maintain position with thrusters.
It was even more recently that Hurricane Wilma disabled the cruise ship docks and the boats had to anchor and tender for a year or more.

I thought ships use some type of GPS with their thrusters to maintain position? I've not noticed anchor lines on the numerous ships in Cayman.

Déjà vu

This keeps happening over and over. Cruise ships seem to be a scourge on coral reefs. I was searching for this 12/2015 incident with google: Video Shows Coral Reef Being Destroyed In Seconds By Cruise Ship's Anchor | HuffPost

... and sadly, I discovered articles describing cruise ship anchors tearing up the reef in Cozumel as far back as 1996. It probably happened before then, but people didn't bother to write news articles about it back when it was socially acceptable to dynamite a reef in order to count the fish.
To me, cruise ships are a scourge on the planet - not just the reefs...

I can tell you for sure there was a ship on anchor just North of the ferry pier downtown on Friday. There were 2 at Punta Langosta
and the one on anchor. I didn’t have my phone to take a picture but it was out farther than the Barco ferries and not as far down.
We’ve seen several yachts anchor in approximately the same area , of course that was quite the sight.
Then I read there was one a Villa Blanca Wall so I’m kind of confused, were there 2 ships on anchor?

Anything to share, Cameron?

Current had other plans... Didn't make it to that area of the reef.

From previous dives, can confirm there is very little "just sand" anywhere along that section.

It's full of reef life. (or was)

In better news, 9 less lion fish on the reef after today's dive.

Cameron

There were 9 ships that day. Yes one was north anchored near Punta Langosta in the sandy area. I just dove Villa Blanca last Tuesday and there is not a ton of sandy areas but there are a few places they could have anchored safely.

underwater thermite shell required.
once they lost anchor with chain - others will think many times, before will try to release anchor over the corals...

P.S.`t was a joke, if somebody do not recognize it...
P.P.S. Every joke has part of joke....

Authorities should ban anchoring in such places. Cruise ship should anchor in places with sand bottom, or even better, implement Dynamical Positioning to remain far from the piers. Such costly ships should have no problem to implement DP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom