Crab Grab Part Deaux - Pincers of Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn:
Bah, the crab grab needs certain preperations. What would happen if someone came to the crabgrab with only a single set of gloves? Lose a friggin hand!

All we were doing last night was jumping in the water :)

I only have one, that'd suvk if I lost it. :| Maybe I'll double up on gloves!

Michael

You looked long and hard for that one didn't you Michael?:D

denisegg:
You looked long and hard for that one didn't you Michael?:D

I never have to look long and hard, I just wanted to get caught up. :wink:

Michael

mike_s:
You'd best not come to the "weiner grab" either then!

I'm NOT "grab"bing any "weiner".

Michael

Paul, you opened up a can of " "......ummmmm..NVM... I'm not going there either:D

paulwall:
Sept 23, 2007

Again, I'll provide a pot, propane, burner, Zatarain's.
Also plan on putting potatoes, corn, mushrooms, sausage, onions, lemons, garlic, etc in the pot (donations of the above are welcome).

What you should bring: Crabs (live), drinks, food for non-shellfish eaters/non hunters, sunscreen, gloves, catch bag, fishing licenses for the area you'll be crabbin'. Chairs, tables, sunscreen, music

The rules:
Diving permitted from Destin to Mobile Bay. Snorklers also permitted to participate.
No catching more crabs than your participating unit will eat (Up to a dozen per person).
Crabs must be kept alive, and taken by hand. No spearing, gigging, powerheads allowed. Learn how to keep crabs alive during transport.
No "berried" crabs (egg-bearing females).
No whole stone crabs, claws must meet legal requirements.
No crabs smaller than your palm (or 5" across the back between points, whichever is less). This is a conservation rule, and not enforceble except by ridicule.

The boiling will commence no later than 3pm, but may be earlier depending on tides/return times.

There may be T-shirts and valuable prizes for participants.

* longest distance travelled (Crabtastic Journey)
* greatest hunter (Buster Crabb)
* largest crab (Mongo Crab)
* crab with the largest claws (Killer Krab)
* best technique (Crabrico Suave')

Preferred dive center will be Gary's Gulf Divers (with his permission) for all fills and supplies, due to his support of this board.

UPDATE Part DEUX!!!!

I haven't seen ANY crabs in Orange Beach or Gulf Shores, let alone any keepers. I still haven't dived the old Pier. So, backup plans may need to be made for food.

Also, bring chairs, tables etc. KCHFLA - Bring dessert (that's a request, not a promise to all others).

The site for the festivities is under the Perdido Pass Bridge, East Side at the pavillions.

High tide is EARLY, like 8-ish, so get up early if you're diving the passes.

Perhaps, I can interest some of you in a Live Bottom Lobster Hunt on Sept 22?

Paul pass me along the shopping list and I’ll provide the same as I did last year. I have one recommendation after last year flounder cleaning. I do think someone needs to give a class on cleaning one. I want mention no names but if I recall right it took a certain young man about an hour and a half to clean one small flounder (Shaking my head here)

If for some reason you have a large show of people I also have a pot and burner you are more than welcome to use

Something that may also help in harvesting your crabs is remember the old say the female always paints her toes the male blue crab is just a blue crab

Lobster Hunt??

We could do a Lobster Hunt Dive on the Cat-N-Around if we could move it to the week before. That weekend (21 & 22 Fri. & Sat.)is the Orange Beach Open and I have that Sat and Sun booked with Choo Choo Dive Center out of Chattnooga, Tn.

paulwall:
Sept 23, 2007

Also, bring chairs, tables etc. KCHFLA - Bring dessert (that's a request, not a promise to all others).

Perhaps, I can interest some of you in a Live Bottom Lobster Hunt on Sept 22?

I'll be glad to do dessert. However my attendance is up in the air. I'm currently searching for a job. I had an interview last week in the Keys. If I'm lucky I hope to be down there. They are looking for someone with more courtroom experience, but I haven't given up hope yet.

I will admit that I didn't catch any crabs last year. There were no crabs to be found. At least in the locations that unnamed individuals would share.

Crabs have been scarce. So the need for alternative food is probably likely.

(Everyone please keep me in your thoughts; six weeks of unemployment is beginning to wear on me. I need a job yesterday.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom