Trip Report Isla Providencia - Paradise of the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deep fried and grilled fish. Fresh crab. rice. plantains. wilty salad. lots and lots of delicious fresh fruit. beer. rum. galletos.

The meat is a little sketchy since you really don't know when or how it died. Stick to the fish. Don't go to a restaurant hungry. You're going to wait. They have not cut loose the Caribbean clock.

The pizza at Jesus Pizzeria is surprising good. And this is coming from a New Yorker and we all know we have the best pizza, period.
Sounds good for me, my dive buddy doesn’t eat fish so we’ll probably stick to Curaçao and the ribs factory but he does love some good pizza so…

Interesting report and destination. We actually had some San Andres plans last week with a flight on hold but I guess we are more of the 'resort with a/c' types and gave up after reading many negative reviews of the resorts there. While it's nice to try something new, we've also been disappointed and asked ourselves why we didn't just return to the great diving in Bonaire/Cozumel/Roatan/Cayman etc. That said, if you don't go and experience it you won't know (but the SB reviews help :)) We regularly turn to the SB reviews for perspective and insights when researching new diving destinations Thanks for posting and sharing your experience.

Good info. Sadly, you lost my dive buddy at all fish, and both of us at no AC.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

If y'all want to discuss pizzas, start a new thread in The Pub

We did our dives and snorkeling with a wonderful family business, Anda di Wata. Sandra and Halbert are absolutely fantastic people and know the reefs and surrounding waters as intimately as anyone on the island. While Sandra is from Switzerland, Halbert was born and raised on the island. I cannot say enough good things about them as people and as a dive shop. Their rental gear is all new (they set up shop one week before Covid hit and then the hurricane hit…) and very well maintained.
Ah, that hurricane. I wonder how different this destination might be in several years. From the Wikipedia Page on Providencia Island, Columbia:

"In November 2020, Hurricane Iota directly impacted the island. An estimated 98% of all infrastructure was destroyed from the impact, making it one of the worst and strongest tropical cyclones to impact Colombia."

Add in the impact of the pandemic, and the fact this is noted to be a 6.6 square mile island (very small), even combined with nearby Santa Catalina Island has a small population, and that judging from the Wikipedia page content (including the lack of much mention about economic opportunities) it wasn't economically strong to begin with, I have to wonder how fully it's recovered compared to pre-Iota levels (which don't sound strong to begin with)?

Ah, that hurricane. I wonder how different this destination might be in several years. From the Wikipedia Page on Providencia Island, Columbia:

"In November 2020, Hurricane Iota directly impacted the island. An estimated 98% of all infrastructure was destroyed from the impact, making it one of the worst and strongest tropical cyclones to impact Colombia."

Add in the impact of the pandemic, and the fact this is noted to be a 6.6 square mile island (very small), even combined with nearby Santa Catalina Island has a small population, and that judging from the Wikipedia page content (including the lack of much mention about economic opportunities) it wasn't economically strong to begin with, I have to wonder how fully it's recovered compared to pre-Iota levels (which don't sound strong to begin with)?
Frankly, hardly at all. Most of the homes have been rebuilt but they are still working on infrastructure and a new commercial dock.

I'm afraid they missed opportunities with the community to really make the island stand out as a destination. Things like zero waste recycling, innovative and site specific construction / architecture, use of local and renewable resources, and agricultural developments based on the local climate and land use.

Regardless, I plan to return in a couple of years and see where they've gotten. I really enjoyed the solitude and lack of the modern world being shoved in your face. I really hope they can maintain that but pick up the services aspect of the hospitality industry.

If anyone is planning on visiting Providencia from the states, please let me know. I have a couple of items (small) that need to make it down to the island. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom