Crab Grab Part Deaux - Pincers of Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So which date did you decide on? This is great!! This gives us a get together in September!! Yeah!!!

(and I don't have to plan it a month ahead of time (BugMan):wink: and try to get you scallywags to show up. :D )

So for us newbies who didn't get to come last year, what is a crab grab?...need complete details

Sept 23, 2007

Again, I'll provide a pot, propane, burner, Zatarain's.
Also plan on putting potatoes, corn, mushrooms, sausage, onions, lemons, garlic, etc in the pot (donations of the above are welcome).

What you should bring: Crabs (live), drinks, food for non-shellfish eaters/non hunters, sunscreen, gloves, catch bag, fishing licenses for the area you'll be crabbin'. Chairs, tables, sunscreen, music

The rules:
Diving permitted from Destin to Mobile Bay. Snorklers also permitted to participate.
No catching more crabs than your participating unit will eat (Up to a dozen per person).
Crabs must be kept alive, and taken by hand. No spearing, gigging, powerheads allowed. Learn how to keep crabs alive during transport.
No "berried" crabs (egg-bearing females).
No whole stone crabs, claws must meet legal requirements.
No crabs smaller than your palm (or 5" across the back between points, whichever is less). This is a conservation rule, and not enforceble except by ridicule.

The boiling will commence no later than 3pm, but may be earlier depending on tides/return times.

There may be T-shirts and valuable prizes for participants.

* longest distance travelled (Crabtastic Journey)
* greatest hunter (Buster Crabb)
* largest crab (Mongo Crab)
* crab with the largest claws (Killer Krab)
* best technique (Crabrico Suave')

Preferred dive center will be Gary's Gulf Divers (with his permission) for all fills and supplies, due to his support of this board.

UPDATE Part DEUX!!!!

I haven't seen ANY crabs in Orange Beach or Gulf Shores, let alone any keepers. I still haven't dived the old Pier. So, backup plans may need to be made for food.

Also, bring chairs, tables etc. KCHFLA - Bring dessert (that's a request, not a promise to all others).

The site for the festivities is under the Perdido Pass Bridge, East Side at the pavillions.

High tide is EARLY, like 8-ish, so get up early if you're diving the passes.

Perhaps, I can interest some of you in a Live Bottom Lobster Hunt on Sept 22?

So we can dive if we want to without catching crabs (no smart remarks) and just bring other food to eat instead?

denisegg:
So we can dive if we want to without catching crabs (no smart remarks) and just bring other food to eat instead?

Ok, denise, you need to read every line. Don't just scan...

What you should bring: Crabs (live), drinks, food for non-shellfish eaters/non hunters,

Last year,there were several divers who didn't catch crabs (no remarks),

paulwall:
Ok, denise, you need to read every line. Don't just scan...

I did. I just wanted to make sure nonhunters didn't mean nondivers.:)

paulwall:
Last year,there were several divers who didn't catch crabs (no remarks),

Thank you for clearing that up Paul. Now.....the next question, you are going to volunteer to guide me right...seeing as how we are already dive buddies? :blinking: I want to dive and just watch the crab grabbing, not catch them myself.

denisegg:
I did. I just wanted to make sure nonhunters didn't mean nondivers.:)

Thank you for clearing that up Paul. Now.....the next question, you are going to volunteer to guide me right...seeing as how we are already dive buddies? :blinking: I want to dive and just watch the crab grabbing, not catch them myself.

Since Bugman Ditched me for the challenge of Cave diving, I guess I'll need a new buddy. I'll catch them, hand them to you, you check for eggs and deposit them in the bag?

Really, I have seen NO crabs on any of the sites I've been diving. May have to make it a "weenie grab"

paulwall:
May have to make it a "weenie grab"

I refuse to comment on the grounds that ...(you guys know the drill)....you can and will use it against me..:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom